We've not got a wide range of IPTV streams available here in NZ, most of
which work with the updated IPTV code in MythTV 31.

I've created a new support ticket under
- https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13608
but i'm after guidance on how to triage this further.

I've tried running the backend with additional debugging to help trace the
issue.

Anyone here got experience debugging IPTV issues?
Re: IPTV issues with AES streams [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 18:38 +1200, OpenMedia Support wrote:
> We've not got a wide range of IPTV streams available here in NZ, most of
> which work with the updated IPTV code in MythTV 31.
>
> I've created a new support ticket under
> - https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13608
> but i'm after guidance on how to triage this further.
>
> I've tried running the backend with additional debugging to help trace the
> issue.
>
> Anyone here got experience debugging IPTV issues?

When I added the redirection stuff I added a lot of calls to LOG()...

At this point my strong recommendation would be to use vlc together
with the mythexternrecorder stuff, vlc is basically always going to
have superior compatibility with the various types of stream out there.

Useful links:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ExternalRecorder
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Example_Configuration_files#vlc_Example

I've been running that way since last year and I'm very happy.

Ian.

Re: IPTV issues with AES streams [ In reply to ]
On 16/04/2020 12:43, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 18:38 +1200, OpenMedia Support wrote:
>> We've not got a wide range of IPTV streams available here in NZ, most of
>> which work with the updated IPTV code in MythTV 31.
>>
>> I've created a new support ticket under
>> - https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13608
>> but i'm after guidance on how to triage this further.
>>
>> I've tried running the backend with additional debugging to help trace the
>> issue.
>>
>> Anyone here got experience debugging IPTV issues?
> When I added the redirection stuff I added a lot of calls to LOG()...
>
> At this point my strong recommendation would be to use vlc together
> with the mythexternrecorder stuff, vlc is basically always going to
> have superior compatibility with the various types of stream out there.
>
> Useful links:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ExternalRecorder
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Example_Configuration_files#vlc_Example
>
> I've been running that way since last year and I'm very happy.
>
> Ian.

While I would normally agree using VLC is the way to go, I use libVLC in
MythQML and it usually plays just about anything I throw at it, in this
case VLC doesn't work for the Brisbane stream (the other 3 are forbidden
here in the UK so can't test those). Interestingly mythffplay does work
albeit with some stutter but mythfrontend doesn't work so ....

Paul H.

Re: IPTV issues with AES streams [ In reply to ]
> On 16/04/2020 12:43, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 18:38 +1200, OpenMedia Support wrote:
>>> We've not got a wide range of IPTV streams available here in NZ, most
>>> of
>>> which work with the updated IPTV code in MythTV 31.
>>>
>>> I've created a new support ticket under
>>> - https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13608
>>> but i'm after guidance on how to triage this further.
>>>
>>> I've tried running the backend with additional debugging to help trace
>>> the
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Anyone here got experience debugging IPTV issues?
>> When I added the redirection stuff I added a lot of calls to LOG()...
>>
>> At this point my strong recommendation would be to use vlc together
>> with the mythexternrecorder stuff, vlc is basically always going to
>> have superior compatibility with the various types of stream out there.
>>
>> Useful links:
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ExternalRecorder
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Example_Configuration_files#vlc_Example
>>
>> I've been running that way since last year and I'm very happy.
>>
>> Ian.
>>

> While I would normally agree using VLC is the way to go, I use libVLC in
> MythQML and it usually plays just about anything I throw at it, in this
> case VLC doesn't work for the Brisbane stream (the other 3 are forbidden
> here in the UK so can't test those). Interestingly mythffplay does work
> albeit with some stutter but mythfrontend doesn't work so ....

Looks like there is an issue with the ABC Brisbane feed as I've had it
working with both mpv and vlc in the past.
Re: IPTV issues with AES streams [ In reply to ]
I'm a few messages behind on this thread. I hope you will indulge
me...

On Fri, 2020-04-17 at 08:53 +1200, OpenMedia Support wrote:
> [...]

I'm in North America -- home of the super-narrow-cable-TV-silo market
where you have to buy/rent cable boxes from your cableco because
everything between them and the cableco is proprietary/encrypted/etc.,
to maximize the amount of blood the cablecos can extract.

So this idea of "open" IPTV is a bit foreign to me.

Just so I understand, these are unencrypted, unauthenticated IPTV
streams that anyone can fetch and watch? I.e. given that you are
expecting MythTV to be able to watch/record, I assume given the venue
here.

If so, what's the business model? Why are your TV networks being so
open?

Cheers,
b.
Re: IPTV issues with AES streams [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 17:14:25 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm a few messages behind on this thread. I hope you will indulge
>me...

>I'm in North America -- home of the super-narrow-cable-TV-silo market
>where you have to buy/rent cable boxes from your cableco because
>everything between them and the cableco is proprietary/encrypted/etc.,
>to maximize the amount of blood the cablecos can extract.
>
>So this idea of "open" IPTV is a bit foreign to me.
>
>Just so I understand, these are unencrypted, unauthenticated IPTV
>streams that anyone can fetch and watch? I.e. given that you are
>expecting MythTV to be able to watch/record, I assume given the venue
>here.
>
>If so, what's the business model? Why are your TV networks being so
>open?
>
>Cheers,
>b.

It is the same model as free-to-air broadcast via the radio spectrum -
the streams carry advertising.
Re: IPTV issues with AES streams [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 17:14:25 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>I'm a few messages behind on this thread. I hope you will indulge
>>me...

>>I'm in North America -- home of the super-narrow-cable-TV-silo market
>>where you have to buy/rent cable boxes from your cableco because
>>everything between them and the cableco is proprietary/encrypted/etc.,
>>to maximize the amount of blood the cablecos can extract.
>>
>>So this idea of "open" IPTV is a bit foreign to me.
>>
>>Just so I understand, these are unencrypted, unauthenticated IPTV
>>streams that anyone can fetch and watch? I.e. given that you are
>>expecting MythTV to be able to watch/record, I assume given the venue
>>here.
>>
>>If so, what's the business model? Why are your TV networks being so
>>open?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>b.
>
> It is the same model as free-to-air broadcast via the radio spectrum -
> the streams carry advertising.

These streams are either FTA broadcasters or Public Owned broadcasters.

There is an interesting range of IPTV playlists at
- https://github.com/iptv-org/iptv/tree/master/channels

Here in NZ most of our FTA broadcasters now support IPTV in some form.

Steven