Mailing List Archive

V31, switching to xmltv on fedora
Fedora packages don't create a mythtv user in the usual sense: there is
no /home/mythtv directory.  mythbackend runs as user mythtv.  I assume
it spawns mythfilldatabase as the same user. Where is the xmltv data
going to go?  Where does the channel setup data go?  I'm confused.  All
the pages I've read so far keep referring to mythbuntu and creating a
mythtv user.  Do I need to do that so I can run xmltv config as that
user?  Other stuff suggests running xmltv setup (and mythfilldatabase?)
as any user, then creating symlinks, again to /home/mythtv/.mythtv.  Do
I have to have /home/mythtv/.mythtv for this to work? Would I be advised
to create an actual profile with password and literally log in as mythv
to run this stuff?

In a more general sense, why do I have to do anything?  Mythtv has been
filling my database for years.  So now there's a new format for the same
data from the same source for the same channels already in my database.
Why do we need to do anything? Couldn't one write a script to do this?
Or, better yet, add some code to the existing program(s) to do it?

Dave D.

Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/20 12:55 AM, DaveD wrote:
> Fedora packages don't create a mythtv user in the usual sense: there
> is no /home/mythtv directory.  mythbackend runs as user mythtv.  I
> assume it spawns mythfilldatabase as the same user. Where is the xmltv
> data going to go?  Where does the channel setup data go? I'm
> confused.  All the pages I've read so far keep referring to mythbuntu
> and creating a mythtv user.  Do I need to do that so I can run xmltv
> config as that user?  Other stuff suggests running xmltv setup (and
> mythfilldatabase?) as any user, then creating symlinks, again to
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv.  Do I have to have /home/mythtv/.mythtv for this
> to work? Would I be advised to create an actual profile with password
> and literally log in as mythv to run this stuff?
>
> In a more general sense, why do I have to do anything?  Mythtv has
> been filling my database for years.  So now there's a new format for
> the same data from the same source for the same channels already in my
> database.  Why do we need to do anything? Couldn't one write a script
> to do this?  Or, better yet, add some code to the existing program(s)
> to do it?
>
> Dave D.

I'm not an expert and it took me a while to fully get the XMLTV stuff
and I am on Ubuntu/mythbuntu based backend. Since the backend runs a
user 'mythtv', I'd just create /home/mythtv/ as would normally happen if
you did an adduser command.

Once you have all the XMLTV software and prerequisites installed
described on the wiki page (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV), I'd just
switch to user mythtv with sudo su mythtv or however you do that on
Fedora. Then run the commands as is at
(https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite)
verbatim. That will create a EPG database in the right place with the
right permissions for user 'mythtv'. I don't use links because I don't
fully understand them, which shows I'm not an expert. I would make sure
you have a /home/mythtv/.xmltv/config.xml which you can link to or copy.
On a standard Ubuntu install you don't need to.

Once you compete the setup on the wiki page, log back in a you user and
did mythtv-setup and on Video Sources just have the source named "SD"
that was created on the wiki page. Once setup is done and you exit you
can start the backend.

I reboot at this time to make sure things work automatically.  I find
that mythfilldatabase usually runs on reboot. It it doesn't, just login
as user 'mythtv' and run mythfilldatabase.

Jim A

Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:55 PM DaveD <mythtv@guiplot.com> wrote:

> Fedora packages don't create a mythtv user in the usual sense: there is
> no /home/mythtv directory. mythbackend runs as user mythtv. I assume
> it spawns mythfilldatabase as the same user. Where is the xmltv data
> going to go? Where does the channel setup data go? I'm confused. All
> the pages I've read so far keep referring to mythbuntu and creating a
> mythtv user. Do I need to do that so I can run xmltv config as that
> user? Other stuff suggests running xmltv setup (and mythfilldatabase?)
> as any user, then creating symlinks, again to /home/mythtv/.mythtv. Do
> I have to have /home/mythtv/.mythtv for this to work? Would I be advised
> to create an actual profile with password and literally log in as mythv
> to run this stuff?

You can also ask questions on the RPM Fusion mailing list for Fedora distro
specific question but I'm on both. :)

System services often do have home directories, they're just not in /home.
For the past decade or more the Fedora package has defaulted the mythtv
user home to /var/lib/mythtv, and in general this is the way it should be
for most services, however, because mythbackend looks for some stuff there
in $HOME even though I have MYTHCONFDIR set to /etc/mythtv in the SystemD
service file:

# systemctl cat mythbackend | grep MYTHCONFDIR
Environment=MYTHCONFDIR=/etc/mythtv

Because of that I recently changed it to /etc/mythtv to be more intuitive.
HOWEVER, once the user is created, package updates will NOT change this for
obvious reasons.

To check try this as root (or sudo):

# cat /etc/passwd | grep mythtv
mythtv:x:900:900:mythbackend user:/var/lib/mythtv:/sbin/nologin

Since my install is 10+ years old it's obviously on /var/lib/mythtv so I
have a mix:

# ll /etc/mythtv
total 50528
drwxr-xr-x. 3 mythtv mythtv 4096 Apr 13 2015 3rdParty
drwxr-xr-x 10 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 7 14:00 cache
drwxr-xr-x. 2 mythtv mythtv 57344 Mar 28 20:29 channels
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 108 Oct 14 2018 Comcast.xmltv
-rw-r--r--. 1 mythtv mythtv 627 Nov 16 2013 config.xml
drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Feb 19 2016 HardwareProfile
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 5502 Nov 5 2018 mythtv.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 108 Oct 14 2018 OTA.xmltv
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 51634176 Apr 10 20:40 SchedulesDirect.DB
drwxr-xr-x. 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Nov 16 2013 themes
drwxr-xr-x 4 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 26 07:09 tmp

# ll /var/lib/mythtv/.mythtv
total 44
drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 9 2018 3rdParty
drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 9 2018 channels
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 629 Mar 11 17:30 config.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 24482 Nov 4 2018 lossless_cut.cfg
drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 9 2018 themes
drwxrwxr-x 3 mythtv mythtv 4096 Dec 9 2018 tmp

However, you can see my xmltv files in /etc/mythtv... I probably need to
migrate my $HOME over and see if I can get rid of the need for
/var/lib/mythtv/.mythtv. It's not ideal to be storing non-config files in
/etc, but oh well.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
To perhaps better answer your question, I switched some time ago and it
works, but it may or may not be an ideal setup. Hopefully someone here will
comment.

It would be best to login as the mythtv user to perform these steps. As it
is a service it does not have a shell by default, so:

# su -l mythtv -s /bin/bash

Start here since xmltv should be already installed:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Command_Line_Setup

mythfilldatabase looks at $HOME not MYTHCONFDIR as far as I can tell so you
need to create the files in the appropriate directory, either /etc/mythtv
or /usr/lib/mythtv/.mythtv depending on where your home directory is set
per the previous email, adjust accordingly below.

Replace instances of "$HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv" with
"/etc/mythtv/YYYY.xmltv"

Once you create your config file. You go into mythtv setup "Video Sources".
Hopefully someone here will pipe in but it's probably best to do a "Delete
all sources" an and create a new one.

Inside, the first config option "Video Source Name" should be the exact
name of your YYYY.xmltv without the .xmltv extension. In my case I have one
called "OTA"

For listings grabber I selected the "Multinational (Schedules Direct JSON
web services with SQLite DB)" and saved my configuration.

Now you should try running mythfilldatabase as the mythtv user and confirm
it works.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/20 5:29 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
[...]

Gawd!  It's a wonder I ever recorded anything!  But, until now, it has been working really well!  I don't know how, though, because I've always run mythtv-setup as root!  I don't know where I got the idea I had to do it that way, but it always worked; until now.  My /var/mythv directory is empty; no .mythtv, no config.xml, no tmp, nothing!  That's all stored in /root/.mythtv, which I assume is useless!

I don't think that $HOME should be in /etc.  Like you said, etc is for configuration.  /var is where VARiable stuff (runtime stuff) belongs; where services have their home directories.  AND, since mythbackend is a service, it shouldn't have its $HOME in /home, either!

Ok, so with all that in mind, I tried 'su -l mythtv -s /bin/bash -c mythtv-setup'.  No dice.  Without the GUI environment (which /bin/bash doesn't have), mythtv-setup won't run.  I have to run it with sudo or nothing works.  I could do the xmltv stuff as mythtv, but shouldn't I be running mythtv-setup as user mythtv?  The wiki says I should be able to setup an xmltv grabber from mythtv-setup and, in fact, it looks like I can.  The xmltv stuff, though, ends up in /myusername/.mythtv.  How can I get mythtv-setup to run as mythtv?  Is this where I'm stuck with symlinks?

Another question:  in the xmltv configuration, it asks what kind of ID I want to use and suggests that if I'm migrating from the old SD format that it might be easier if I select option 2; a numeric ID.  Does that mean they will assign the same xmltvid to the same channel?  Or does it mean I still have to manually update them all, just with numbers instead of alpha-numerics?  Can I do a command line setup and retrieve a JSON file (or sqlite DB file) and take a look before I commit to a change?  I'm still thinking that if I have to change all the xmltvid's that I'll write a script to do it.

Thanks, again, to you and all who have provided info and advice.

Dave D.
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:31 AM DaveD <mythtv@guiplot.com> wrote:

> Gawd! It's a wonder I ever recorded anything! But, until now, it has
> been working really well! I don't know how, though, because I've always
> run mythtv-setup as root! I don't know where I got the idea I had to do it
> that way, but it always worked; until now. My /var/mythv directory is
> empty; no .mythtv, no config.xml, no tmp, nothing! That's all stored in
> /root/.mythtv, which I assume is useless!
>
> I don't think that $HOME should be in /etc. Like you said, etc is for
> configuration. /var is where VARiable stuff (runtime stuff) belongs; where
> services have their home directories. AND, since mythbackend is a service,
> it shouldn't have its $HOME in /home, either!

Ok, so with all that in mind, I tried 'su -l mythtv -s /bin/bash -c
> mythtv-setup'. No dice. Without the GUI environment (which /bin/bash
> doesn't have), mythtv-setup won't run. I have to run it with sudo or
> nothing works. I could do the xmltv stuff as mythtv, but shouldn't I be
> running mythtv-setup as user mythtv? The wiki says I should be able to
> setup an xmltv grabber from mythtv-setup and, in fact, it looks like I
> can. The xmltv stuff, though, ends up in /myusername/.mythtv. How can I
> get mythtv-setup to run as mythtv? Is this where I'm stuck with symlinks?
>
> Another question: in the xmltv configuration, it asks what kind of ID I
> want to use and suggests that if I'm migrating from the old SD format that
> it might be easier if I select option 2; a numeric ID. Does that mean they
> will assign the same xmltvid to the same channel? Or does it mean I still
> have to manually update them all, just with numbers instead of
> alpha-numerics? Can I do a command line setup and retrieve a JSON file (or
> sqlite DB file) and take a look before I commit to a change? I'm still
> thinking that if I have to change all the xmltvid's that I'll write a
> script to do it.
>
> Thanks, again, to you and all who have provided info and advice.

I'm working on figuring out a few thing. I was able to get mythfilldatabase
to look at /etc/mythtv by running it this way:

# su -l mythtv -s /bin/bash
# MYTHCONFDIR=/etc/mythtv mythfilldatabase

So that's one down...

As far as needing the GUI I think you should be able to run mythtv-setup
either as a regular user OR root and then just copy the xmltv file to
/etc/mythtv when you're done OR take the same tactic with mythtv-setup:

# MYTHCONFDIR=/etc/mythtv mythtv-setup

In fact, what I may do is move mythtv-setup to /usr/libexec and then
replace it with a shell script in /usr/bin to do just that by default.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On 11/04/2020 18:00, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:31 AM DaveD <mythtv@guiplot.com
> <mailto:mythtv@guiplot.com>> wrote:
>
> Gawd!  It's a wonder I ever recorded anything!  But, until now, it
> has been working really well!  I don't know how, though, because
> I've always run mythtv-setup as root!  I don't know where I got the
> idea I had to do it that way, but it always worked; until now.  My
> /var/mythv directory is empty; no .mythtv, no config.xml, no tmp,
> nothing!  That's all stored in /root/.mythtv, which I assume is useless!
>
> I don't think that $HOME should be in /etc.  Like you said, etc is
> for configuration.  /var is where VARiable stuff (runtime stuff)
> belongs; where services have their home directories.  AND, since
> mythbackend is a service, it shouldn't have its $HOME in /home, either!
>
> Ok, so with all that in mind, I tried 'su -l mythtv -s /bin/bash -c
> mythtv-setup'.  No dice.  Without the GUI environment (which
> /bin/bash doesn't have), mythtv-setup won't run.  I have to run it
> with sudo or nothing works.  I could do the xmltv stuff as mythtv,
> but shouldn't I be running mythtv-setup as user mythtv?  The wiki
> says I should be able to setup an xmltv grabber from mythtv-setup
> and, in fact, it looks like I can.  The xmltv stuff, though, ends up
> in /myusername/.mythtv.  How can I get mythtv-setup to run as
> mythtv?  Is this where I'm stuck with symlinks?
>
> Another question:  in the xmltv configuration, it asks what kind of
> ID I want to use and suggests that if I'm migrating from the old SD
> format that it might be easier if I select option 2; a numeric ID.
> Does that mean they will assign the same xmltvid to the same
> channel?  Or does it mean I still have to manually update them all,
> just with numbers instead of alpha-numerics?  Can I do a command
> line setup and retrieve a JSON file (or sqlite DB file) and take a
> look before I commit to a change?  I'm still thinking that if I have
> to change all the xmltvid's that I'll write a script to do it.
>
> Thanks, again, to you and all who have provided info and advice.
>

> I'm working on figuring out a few thing. I was able to get
> mythfilldatabase to look at /etc/mythtv by running it this way:
>
>  # su -l mythtv -s /bin/bash
> # MYTHCONFDIR=/etc/mythtv mythfilldatabase
>
> So that's one down...
>
> As far as needing the GUI I think you should be able to run mythtv-setup
> either as a regular user OR root and then just copy the xmltv file to
> /etc/mythtv when you're done OR take the same tactic with mythtv-setup:
>
> # MYTHCONFDIR=/etc/mythtv mythtv-setup
>
> In fact, what I may do is move mythtv-setup to /usr/libexec and then
> replace it with a shell script in /usr/bin to do just that by default.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I hope this doesn't confuse matters, but I'm running master on two
rpm-based core2duo boxes, both around 10 years old. The rpms are built
locally and will differ from Richard's, but I'm not clear by how much.

All the mythtv components are run from tabs in a kde konsole. No xmltv
or services involved.

One box has an nVidia card, the other has just its original intel video
system driving only a vga monitor.

On that box, mythtv-setup and mythfrontend will not have full graphics
unless an environment variable has been set. I use the command lines

$ MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythtv-setup

and

$ MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend

The box with the nVidia card doesn't need the preamble.

Maybe that will help. Maybe not...

John P

Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
I want to thank Mr. Shaw for enlightening me on how and why the Fedora MythTV system is configured the way it is and why it doesn't quit fit with the general community's assumptions.  Here is how I got migrated to xmltv on MythTV 0.31 running on Fedora 31 (seems fitting).

Fedora's MythTV package creates a mythtv user and its own mythtv group with home in /var/lib/mythtv and no login shell or password.  I added my normal user to the mythtv group and moved my ~/.mythtv directory and contents to /var/lib/mythtv, then symlinked from ~/.mythtv to /var/lib/mythtv/.mythtv.  I made sure to chmod g+s on all directories in the mythtv home so that the group would always have write permission.  Then, when I ran mythtv-setup as my normal user, I had write permission to mythtv's directory structure and the xml stuff went in there where mythfilldatabase could find it and use it.  MythTV is happy and I am happy.

The happiest news in all this is that the xmltvid's are still the same.  The grabbers/SD gives three choices (0-2) for channel ID format.  Option 2 keeps the numeric format and they are the same as the old SD format.  This is VERY good news.

I now have 500 cable channels that I need to get rid of (something to keep my busy while sheltering in place).  Any advice on a practical way to do this would be greatly appreciated.  I have installed the xmltv-gui package that includes a program called tv_check.  Looks like perhaps a way to edit the channels.  I will take a look.

Are my channel selections stored in a local xml file, in the mythconverg database or on the SchedulesDirect server?  Or some combination?

Thanks again for all the help,

Dave D.

_______________________________________________ mythtv-users mailing list mythtv-users@mythtv.org http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users"]http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette"]http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org"]https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
Glad you got it figured out!

So a follow up question to the group. Does mythfilldatabase need access to
the SchedulesDirect sqlite database or just the grabber script?

And when running mythfilldatabase I get these but when I look in MythWeb
all the xmltvids are filled:

2020-04-12 09:00:47.531230 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I100371.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:47.963513 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I103963.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:47.963756 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I103964.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:47.963974 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I103965.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:49.114235 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I106602.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:49.114568 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I106603.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:49.114837 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I106604.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:50.460528 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I108221.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:00:51.329898 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I113400.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:01:19.284124 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I60502.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:01:25.552199 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I65765.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:01:38.020474 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I75454.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.
2020-04-12 09:01:40.341471 N [55795/55795] CoreContext
programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier:
I88797.json.schedulesdirect.org - Skipping channel.

Thanks,
Richard
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>
> 2020-04-12 09:00:47.531230 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I100371.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i100371.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:47.963513 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I103963.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i103963.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:47.963756 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I103964.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i103964.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:47.963974 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I103965.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i103965.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:49.114235 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I106602.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i106602.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:49.114568 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I106603.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i106603.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:49.114837 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I106604.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i106604.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:50.460528 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I108221.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i108221.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:00:51.329898 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I113400.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i113400.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:01:19.284124 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I60502.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i60502.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:01:25.552199 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I65765.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i65765.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:01:38.020474 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I75454.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i75454.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
> 2020-04-12 09:01:40.341471 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I88797.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i88797.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.

I have the same thing, and they are channels that I don’t actually receive, but are included for the area the I am in. If you check the report for the lineup in SD, you can verify the numbers above with the numbers in the report to see if you care about them. For me they are channels that are out of range of my antenna.

I just ignore the messages that I get similar to the above.

Regards,

Jay
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On 4/12/20 9:39 AM, Jay Harbeston wrote:

>> On Apr 12, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Glad you got it figured out!
>>
>> So a follow up question to the group. Does mythfilldatabase need access to the SchedulesDirect sqlite database or just the grabber script?
>>
>> And when running mythfilldatabase I get these but when I look in MythWeb all the xmltvids are filled:

>> 2020-04-12 09:01:40.341471 N [55795/55795] CoreContext programdata.cpp:1494:HandlePrograms Unknown xmltv channel identifier: I88797.json.schedulesdirect.org <http://i88797.json.schedulesdirect.org/> - Skipping channel.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>
> I have the same thing, and they are channels that I don’t actually receive, but are included for the area the I am in. If you check the report for the lineup in SD, you can verify the numbers above with the numbers in the report to see if you care about them. For me they are channels that are out of range of my antenna.
>
> I just ignore the messages that I get similar to the above.

Ignoring the Notice is OK.

tl;dr

I suspect if you try this:

mysql --user=mythtv --password --execute="SELECT sourceid,chanid,xmltvid,visible \
FROM channel WHERE xmltvid LIKE '%88797%'" mythconverg

You'll get nothing or an xmltvid that's just an integer. The actual query
used before the log message above includes the sourceid.

Then (using your actual DB file name):

echo "SELECT * FROM channels WHERE station='88797';" | \
sqlite3 --column --header ~mythtv/.xmltv/SchedulesDirect.DB

'selected' will be set to 1, and you really want it to be 0.

The Wiki has some commands of interest:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Channel_selection_shortcut_2

--
Bill
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
I saw this message for a couple of channels that I _do_ receive. So I
manually set their xmltvid values to that format, using the XML TV ID
shown by Schedules Direct. That worked - the schedule for those
channels was updated, and I was able to record shows using that
updated schedule.

Calvin Dodge

Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On 4/12/20 10:53 AM, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> I saw this message for a couple of channels that I _do_ receive. So I
> manually set their xmltvid values to that format, using the XML TV ID
> shown by Schedules Direct. That worked - the schedule for those
> channels was updated, and I was able to record shows using that
> updated schedule.
>
> Calvin Dodge
>
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 9:40 AM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus@gmail.com> wrote:

Have you done a re-scan lately?  It seems in my system that those
channels were not found in the last scan and, indeed, I don't get them.
The listings indicate that I COULD get them, if my antenna was high
enough, good enough and pointed in the right direction and I scanned for
channels on a day when the weather permitted, etc, etc.

Dave D

Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM DaveD <mythtv@guiplot.com> wrote:

> On 4/12/20 10:53 AM, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> > I saw this message for a couple of channels that I _do_ receive. So I
> > manually set their xmltvid values to that format, using the XML TV ID
> > shown by Schedules Direct. That worked - the schedule for those
> > channels was updated, and I was able to record shows using that
> > updated schedule.

I haven't scanned channels in forever because I thought I didn't have to. I
can log into SD and select or de-select any channel I want. Does that no
longer work with the xmltv method?

Thanks,
Richard
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On 4/14/20 1:37 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:12 PM DaveD <mythtv@guiplot.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/20 10:53 AM, Calvin Dodge wrote:
>>> I saw this message for a couple of channels that I _do_ receive. So I
>>> manually set their xmltvid values to that format, using the XML TV ID
>>> shown by Schedules Direct. That worked - the schedule for those
>>> channels was updated, and I was able to record shows using that
>>> updated schedule.
>>

> I haven't scanned channels in forever because I thought I didn't have to. I
> can log into SD and select or de-select any channel I want. Does that no
> longer work with the xmltv method?

From the SD web site, after logging in and looking at the list of channels
I'd selected in the past:

Schedules Direct offers two data services. With the new SD-JSON service, lineups are managed within the application. The legacy SD-DD (XML)
service (still used by most applications) requires you add a lineup below.

The on/off switch seems to be the selected column in one's SQLite DB.

--
Bill
Re: V31, switching to xmltv on fedora [ In reply to ]
On 4/14/20 12:11 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 4/14/20 1:37 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:

>> I haven't scanned channels in forever because I thought I didn't have
>> to. I
>> can log into SD and select or de-select any channel I want. Does that no
>> longer work with the xmltv method?
>
> From the SD web site, after logging in and looking at the list of
> channels
> I'd selected in the past:
>
>   Schedules Direct offers two data services. With the new SD-JSON
> service, lineups are managed within the application. The legacy SD-DD
> (XML)
>   service (still used by most applications) requires you add a lineup
> below.
>
> The on/off switch seems to be the selected column in one's SQLite DB.

Don't know about where you are, but last year we had three times when
our OTA channels changed.  Some channels changed frequencies and a
re-scan was required to get them back.  Some didn't come back, and we
gained some we didn't get before.

Dave D.