Mailing List Archive

TrueHD titles causing video judder
I've recently noticed that bluray titles (ripped to .mkv) will have
significant video juddering / skipping when the TrueHD audio track is
used. Switching to the 5.1 track will stop the judder. I don't see
any issue when playing something with other high resolution audio
formats (DTS-MA).

I've set the audio read ahead from the default 100ms to 500ms and saw no change.

I'm using a Nvidia GT 430 and driver version 340.107.

Mythtv version (compiled myself):

mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v30.0-68-ge094a02017
MythTV Branch : fixes/30
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 30.20181231-1
QT Version : 5.9.5
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_pulse using_backend
using_bdjava using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox
using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video
using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xnvctrl using_xnvctrl_external
using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype
using_bdjava using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_fontconfig using_freetype2
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi2 using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
using_libmp3lame

Log file from a play back with playback,audio flagged:

https://pastebin.com/z8dcxcCz

In this log there are two playbacks. The first (using Shazam) is
default with TrueHD. The second time Shazam is played a few seconds
in I switch to the 5.1 track. The juddering video becomes smooth as
soon as 5.1 is selected.

I've verified this behaviour with several different movies that have
TrueHD and also movies with DTS-MA (and the DTS-MA titles play with no
issues).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Neil
Re: TrueHD titles causing video judder [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2019-07-27 at 12:07 -0700, Neil Salstrom wrote:
> I've recently noticed that bluray titles (ripped to .mkv) will have
> significant video juddering / skipping when the TrueHD audio track is
> used. Switching to the 5.1 track will stop the judder. I don't see
> any issue when playing something with other high resolution audio
> formats (DTS-MA).
>
> I've set the audio read ahead from the default 100ms to 500ms and saw
> no change.
>
> I'm using a Nvidia GT 430 and driver version 340.107.
>
> Mythtv version (compiled myself):
>
> mythfrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version : v30.0-68-ge094a02017
> MythTV Branch : fixes/30
> Network Protocol : 91
> Library API : 30.20181231-1
> QT Version : 5.9.5
> Options compiled in:
> linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_pulse using_backend
> using_bdjava using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
> using_bindings_php using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun
> using_vbox
> using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2
> using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video
> using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus
> using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xnvctrl
> using_xnvctrl_external
> using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype
> using_bdjava using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
> using_bindings_php using_fontconfig using_freetype2
> using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi2 using_vdpau
> using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
> using_libmp3lame
>
> Log file from a play back with playback,audio flagged:
>
> https://pastebin.com/z8dcxcCz
>
> In this log there are two playbacks. The first (using Shazam) is
> default with TrueHD. The second time Shazam is played a few seconds
> in I switch to the 5.1 track. The juddering video becomes smooth as
> soon as 5.1 is selected.
>
> I've verified this behaviour with several different movies that have
> TrueHD and also movies with DTS-MA (and the DTS-MA titles play with
> no
> issues).
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neil

Just a quick question regarding this, are the titles you have ripped
that use Dolby TrueHD Atmos enabled? I have had issues before with
TrueHD tracks that have Atmos metadata for object-based audio causing
judder as something goes a little iffy in the decode.

-Nick

Re: TrueHD titles causing video judder [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 3:24 AM Nick Skarott <meow@tunaweb.net.nz> wrote:

> Just a quick question regarding this, are the titles you have ripped
> that use Dolby TrueHD Atmos enabled? I have had issues before with
> TrueHD tracks that have Atmos metadata for object-based audio causing
> judder as something goes a little iffy in the decode.
>
> -Nick

No, there is no Atmos on these titles. Just TrueHD.

Thanks,

Neil