Mailing List Archive

Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems
Hello Everyone,

I have been running Myth for a number of years. My setup for the past
couple years has been a Core i5 with 8 gb ram and a 2 Tb hard drive & a 4
Tb hard drive recording off the air in the US using a HD Homerun connect
dual tuner device. I had been running Mythubuntu .27 on Ubuntu 16.04. I
figured since the boot drive died i would replace the drive and upgrade to
Mythtv .30 & Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I had no trouble installing the software but
I can't get it to use both tuners on the hdhomerun. The hdhomerun portion
of the setup has changed from before. I added the hdhomerun and on the
status screen it shows input 1: 4 available. If I schedule 2 shows at the
same time the first one records fine, but the second show displays orange
on the screen in the schedule with a message "Single record +0
conflicting" and the second show never records. Why would it show the 4
available and only be able to record 1 thing. I know to get 4 shows
recording 2 of them had to be on sub channels of the same channel and it
can only tune to 2 actual stations, but it will only record 1 show. What
is the proper way to setup a HDHomerun under .30?

Is there a step by step? What I saw on the MythTV.org site looked like the
old way of setting it up.

Thanks for any help,

John
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On 7/16/19 7:26 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have been running Myth for a number of years.  My setup for the past
> couple years has been a Core i5 with 8 gb ram and a 2 Tb hard drive & a
> 4 Tb hard drive recording off the air in the US using a HD Homerun
> connect dual tuner device. I had been running Mythubuntu .27 on Ubuntu
> 16.04. I figured since the boot drive died i would replace the drive and
> upgrade to Mythtv .30 & Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I had no trouble installing
> the software but I can't get it to use both tuners on the hdhomerun. The
> hdhomerun portion of the setup has changed from before. I added the
> hdhomerun and on the status screen it shows input 1: 4 available.  If I
> schedule 2 shows at the same time the first one records fine, but the
> second show displays orange on the screen in the schedule with a
> message "Single record +0 conflicting" and the second show never
> records.  Why would it show the 4 available and only be able to record 1
> thing.  I know to get 4 shows recording 2 of them had to be on sub
> channels of  the same channel and it can only tune to 2 actual stations,
> but it will only record 1 show.  What is the proper way to setup a
> HDHomerun under .30?
>
> Is there a step by step?  What I saw on the MythTV.org site looked like
> the old way of setting it up.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> John

HDHomeRun support was changed to support tuner sharing/locking. Before,
MythTV assumed nothing else would ever use the tuner. You created
tuners from each specific tuner on the device (such as tuner 0 on device
X). Now, you decide how many tuners of the total on the HDHomeRun you
want MythTV to be able to use and create that many tuners all pointing
to the same physical device without specifying the specific tuner. For
a 4 tuner HDHomeRun, you would create 1-4 tuners in setup all pointing
to the same HDHomeRun device depending on how many you want to use.
Since you set up just one, it will probe the four available for an
unlocked tuner and use it. It won't ever try to use two because you've
only configured it to use one.

There's some description in this ticket:
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13339

Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
Thanks for responding BP. I still have not been able to get it to record 2
programs on different physical transmitters. It will record 2 shows of the
same transmitter, but it doesn't seem to even try to use the other tuner.
In the status screen it shows:

Input 1: 1 available
Input 2: 1 available

If I schedule say shows that overlap on 7.1 & 7.2 it will record both, but
if I schedule say 7.1 & 22.1 which are on different transmitters it will
only record 1 of them.

I have tried various settings, but none have recorded off of 2 transmitters
at the same time.

My current settings have:
Capture cards: 1 Defined for the physical HDHomerun Connect

Recording Profiles: 1 defined HDHomerun Recorders

Video Sources: 1 defined HDHomerun
Listing grabber EIT only
Channel Freq Table: us-bcast
Network ID: -1

Input connections: 1 defined HDHOMERUN
Input name: MPEG2TS
Video Source: HDHOMERUN
Quick tune: Never
Interactions:
Max Reordings:2 (1,2,9,10)
Schedule as group no
Input priority 0
Schedule order 1
Live TV order 1
Input 1 group: Generic
Input 2 group: Generic

On max recordings the only choices are the 1,2,9,10 The I could record up
to 4 programs with the old one, but I usually don't record much on the sub
channels anyway and it was few and far between that it would schedule more
that 2 programs anyway and they were practically always on different
transmitters so I don't care about that anyway. But I do record 2 programs
at ones fairly frequently.

I don't know if you can tell me what I need to change. I tried adding
another capture card, so it had one per tuner, but that did not seem to
work with or without the checkbox about using the same hardware.

John

Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On 7/18/19 8:04 PM, John Wolf wrote:

> My current settings have:
> Capture cards: 1 Defined for the physical HDHomerun Connect

That sure sounds like you've only configured one tuner, e.g. 1234ABCD.
You must repeat that for every other tuner you want. In v30, the same
value will appear (1234ABCD.) The -0, -1 ... suffix is no longer used.
That's the change, you always had to define all tuners on the HDHR network
tuners.

BP's post has the detail and the link is great for the developer's
description of how it works.

--
Bill
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
The way it is configured now it will record 2 shows on the same
transmitter. I tried installing another capture earlier and it still didn't
seem to want to record 2 shows on the same transmitter. I a will try it
again tomorrow and see if I can figure out the settings. It is recording a
show now.

John

Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
You need to set up two tuners with different ID sub numbers. I have two HD
Homerun dual tuners and the setup as viewed in their app looks like this so
I have 4 physical tuners.
[image: image.png]

In Myth, I had to set up physical tuners and I then allowed each to record
two shows so I end up with 8 tuners in Myth. You should be able to look at
the backend status and immediately see what is going on.
[image: image.png]
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On 7/18/19 10:05 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> You need to set up two tuners with different ID sub numbers. I have two HD
> Homerun dual tuners and the setup as viewed in their app looks like this so
> I have 4 physical tuners.
> [image: image.png]

Correct, but in v30 the suffixes go away. In your images, 10137DC1
would appear 4 times (for two tuners with Max recordings set to 2.)

Same for 10126134.

--
Bill
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On Fri., 19 Jul. 2019, 1:17 pm Bill Meek, <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/18/19 10:05 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > You need to set up two tuners with different ID sub numbers. I have two
> HD
> > Homerun dual tuners and the setup as viewed in their app looks like this
> so
> > I have 4 physical tuners.
> > [image: image.png]
>
> Correct, but in v30 the suffixes go away.

That's a shame. I wonder why someone thought providing less information on
the tuners would be a good idea.
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]

There's a nice write-up here: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/57a0ad8

--
Bill
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 19, 2019, 6:14 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/19/19 4:30 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:

> two
> >> HD
> this
> >> so
> >>
> >> Correct, but in v30 the suffixes go away.
> >>

> > That's a shame. I wonder why someone thought providing less information
> on
> > the tuners would be a good idea.
>
> There's a nice write-up here:
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/57a0ad8
>
> --
> Bill

Sorry about taking so long for an update but other things have been busy
here and I just got around to working with it again.

I looked that over and I tried a couple different ways and neither of them
seemed to work.

I installed mythtv from the repository on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04lts install.
I saw some things online about problems with hdhomerun early on 30. Is it
possible some of the files it installed were older ones with the problems?

How can I check the file versions of the relevant FILES?

Is there another repository with the most up to date stable files? What
would be the command to add the repository?

This is a basic install, combined frontend/backend with a single dual tuner
hdhomerun connect USA ota. It really shouldn't be this much trouble to get
it going.

Thanks again,

John

Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On 7/29/19 8:52 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> I looked that over and I tried a couple different ways and neither of them
> seemed to work.
>
> I installed mythtv from the repository on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04lts install.
> I saw some things online about problems with hdhomerun early on 30. Is it
> possible some of the files it installed were older ones with the problems?
>
> How can I check the file versions of the relevant FILES?
>
> Is there another repository with the most up to date stable files? What
> would be the command to add the repository?
>
> This is a basic install, combined frontend/backend with a single dual tuner
> hdhomerun connect USA ota. It really shouldn't be this much trouble to get
> it going.
>
> Thanks again,

MikeB2013 answers similar issues, see this one: https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3100&p=15813#p15813

The test and solution link are the last post (at least right now.)

--
Bill
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019, 12:05 AM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/29/19 9:30 PM, John Wolf wrote:
> them

> install.
> it
> problems?

> tuner
> get

> >> MikeB2013 answers similar issues, see this one:
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3100&p=15813#p15813
> >>
> >> The test and solution link are the last post (at least right now.)
> >>
> > The way I take that post is that their machine isn't seeing the
> HDHomerun at all, and they have them check if Myth was compiled with the
> > HDHomerun support. I ran the command at the bottom of that and mine is
> compiled with it, which I figured it was since it does record 1
> > program.
>
> My mistake, I had already deleted the initial posts.
>
> I just can't get it to record 2 programs at the same time. I didn't see
> anything in there saying how to install it, ie how many
> > capture cards need to be added per physical dual tuner HDhomerun, how
> many sources, and how many inputs and if there are any special settings
> > that need to be set.
>
> One capture card for each tuner on an HDHR. At one point you listed a
> configuration having only one,
> but later said you added a second -- that's the correct way.
>
> You also said adding the 2nd didn't help.
>
> In my case, I have a 2 tuner HDHR box, in setup:
>
> 2 Capture Cards (e.g. HDHOMERUN: ABCD1234 for each, no -<n> suffix)
> 1 Video Source (e.g. OTA)
> 2 Input Connections HDHOMERUN: ABCD1234->OTA (same thing twice)
>
> > I don't have anything else using the HDhomerun. I know before I could
> record up to 2 different shows on different
> > transmitters and potentially 2 other shows, if there were 2 shows on
> each transmitter I wanted to record. I am not too concerned about
> > recording multiple sub-channels on one transmitter. I don't know if I
> have ever recorded 2 shows at the same time on a single transmitter
>
> Working OK for me (that's the good news.) I'm in the same boat
> as I rarely record two programs on multiplexed channels. And I
> frequently record multiple programs from different channels.
>
> > The old method was much simpler to setup than the current way.
>
> I didn't see a great setup change, but absolutely the conversion to the
> MythUI.
>
> --
> Bill

I think I tried a setup like that before but not positive. Do you remember
how you have the group tuners checkbox set? Then the # of tuners field in
Inputs?

Is there a way to get version numbers for the different modules installed?

We are hosting a family reunion this weekend so I wont have time to fiddle
with it until mid next week.

I will try any suggestions then.

Thanks.

John
Re: Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 6:58 AM John Wolf <jwolf2@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019, 12:05 AM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

>> them

>> install.
>> Is it
>> problems?

>> What

>> tuner
>> to get

>> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3100&p=15813#p15813

>> > The way I take that post is that their machine isn't seeing the
>> HDHomerun at all, and they have them check if Myth was compiled with the
>> > HDHomerun support. I ran the command at the bottom of that and mine is
>> compiled with it, which I figured it was since it does record 1
>> > program.
>>
>> My mistake, I had already deleted the initial posts.
>>
>> I just can't get it to record 2 programs at the same time. I didn't see
>> anything in there saying how to install it, ie how many
>> > capture cards need to be added per physical dual tuner HDhomerun, how
>> many sources, and how many inputs and if there are any special settings
>> > that need to be set.
>>
>> One capture card for each tuner on an HDHR. At one point you listed a
>> configuration having only one,
>> but later said you added a second -- that's the correct way.
>>
>> You also said adding the 2nd didn't help.
>>
>> In my case, I have a 2 tuner HDHR box, in setup:
>>
>> 2 Capture Cards (e.g. HDHOMERUN: ABCD1234 for each, no -<n> suffix)
>> 1 Video Source (e.g. OTA)
>> 2 Input Connections HDHOMERUN: ABCD1234->OTA (same thing twice)
>>
>> > I don't have anything else using the HDhomerun. I know before I could
>> record up to 2 different shows on different
>> > transmitters and potentially 2 other shows, if there were 2 shows on
>> each transmitter I wanted to record. I am not too concerned about
>> > recording multiple sub-channels on one transmitter. I don't know if I
>> have ever recorded 2 shows at the same time on a single transmitter
>>
>> Working OK for me (that's the good news.) I'm in the same boat
>> as I rarely record two programs on multiplexed channels. And I
>> frequently record multiple programs from different channels.
>>
>> > The old method was much simpler to setup than the current way.
>>
>> I didn't see a great setup change, but absolutely the conversion to the
>> MythUI.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>>

> I think I tried a setup like that before but not positive. Do you
> remember how you have the group tuners checkbox set? Then the # of tuners
> field in Inputs?
>
> Is there a way to get version numbers for the different modules installed?
>
> We are hosting a family reunion this weekend so I wont have time to fiddle
> with it until mid next week.
>
> I will try any suggestions then.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Hello Everyone,

Things have finally settled down some and I had time to run through
different settings until I found some that worked. This is for an US
HDHomerun connect Duo OTA.listings from EIT only on Mythtv .30 Ubuntu 18.04
LTS.

I defined 2 capture cards for the unit:
First card has options of:
Signal Timeout 1000
Tuning timeout 3000
Use HDHomerun for active EIT Scan checked
Second card has same options except the EIT Scan is unchecked.

Recording profiles are at the default

1 video source
Listings grabber EIT Only
Channel Freq Table: us-bcast
Network ID -1

2 Input Connections:
Both Identical pointing at the HDHomerun Video Source
Interactions between inputs:
Schedule as group checked (The rest of the settings the
default)

With those settings Myth will use both tuners to record 2 simultaneous
shows on different channels. I haven't tried recording 2 simultaneous
shows on different sub-channels of the same channel to see if it will just
use one tuner or not, but I hardly ever record anything on the higher sub
channels

Thanks for all your suggestions earlier Bill they helped guide me as to
what to put in for the settings.

John