Mailing List Archive

Need mythtv-backend startup advice
I have a new installation of Ubuntu-Mate (18.04).  It works fine, but I
just realized the HD Homerun inputs are having a minor problem.  On
power-up, or reboot, all the HDHR inputs come up as unavailable.  I
restart mythtv-backend and all is well.  Does it sound like a systemd
configuration issue?  I'm using the systemd conf, as-installed.

Don

PS - The Hauppauge HDPVR works fine; this only  happens on the
SiliconDust HDHR connect hardware.

Restart command:
sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend
sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend

From /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mythtv-backend.service:
(symlinked to /lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service):
[Unit]
Description=MythTV Backend
Documentation=https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend
After=mysql.service network.target

[Service]
User=mythtv
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7 $ADDITIONAL_ARGS
StartLimitBurst=10
StartLimitInterval=10m
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=1

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

---

Re: Need mythtv-backend startup advice [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 12:56:28 -0400, you wrote:

>I have a new installation of Ubuntu-Mate (18.04).? It works fine, but I
>just realized the HD Homerun inputs are having a minor problem.? On
>power-up, or reboot, all the HDHR inputs come up as unavailable.? I
>restart mythtv-backend and all is well.? Does it sound like a systemd
>configuration issue?? I'm using the systemd conf, as-installed.
>
>Don
>
>PS - The Hauppauge HDPVR works fine; this only? happens on the
>SiliconDust HDHR connect hardware.
>
>Restart command:
>sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend
>sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend
>

>From /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/mythtv-backend.service:
>(symlinked to /lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service):
>[Unit]
>Description=MythTV Backend
>Documentation=https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend
>After=mysql.service network.target
>
>[Service]
>User=mythtv
>EnvironmentFile=-/etc/mythtv/additional.args
>ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7 $ADDITIONAL_ARGS
>StartLimitBurst=10
>StartLimitInterval=10m
>Restart=on-failure
>RestartSec=1
>
>[Install]
>WantedBy=multi-user.target

That is caused by mythbackend being started before the network is
fully available. So mythbackend can not access the network tuners
when it tests them at startup and it marks them as unavailable. There
are a number of threads on this list about it. I have a fix on my web
server, so I will repeat my instructions for installing it:

The fix is a bit complicated - you have to make a systemd unit that
tests for the Ethernet interface actually being up and able to pass
traffic, and then have mythbackend wait on that unit before it is
started. The tools to do this are on my web server. If you are not
running a server version of Ubuntu and have not disabled
NetworkManager, run the following commands to set it all up. Watch
out for line wrapping - my email client does that with longer lines
such as the wget commands, so the wget and the URL after it should be
on one line.

sudo su
cd /usr/local/bin
wget http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/wait-until-pingable.py
chmod u=rwx,g=r,o=r wait-until-pingable.py
systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
systemctl start NetworkManager-wait-online.service
cd /etc/systemd/system
mkdir mythtv-backend.service.d
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx mythtv-backend.service.d
cd mythtv-backend.service.d
wget
http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythtv-backend-wait-until-pingable.conf
chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r mythtv-backend-wait-until-pingable.conf
cd ..
wget http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/local-network-pingable.service
chmod u=rw,g=r,o=r local-network-pingable.service

Here you will need to change the text in
local-network-pingable.service where it says "switch.jsw.gen.nz" and
replace that with the IP address or DNS name of your first network
tuner (if the tuner is pingable), or otherwise something on your
network such as your switch or router that is normally pingable when
your MythTV box is booting.

Use nano or your favourite editor:

nano local-network-pingable.service

Then save the change and exit from nano or your editor and do these
commands:

systemctl enable local-network-pingable.service
systemctl start local-network-pingable.service
systemctl status local-network-pingable.service

The systemctl status command should show that the
local-network-pingable.service has started and the ping worked. If
not, fix that before proceeding. Then do these commands:

systemctl daemon-reload
exit

After that, on boot mythbackend will wait for either the ping to work,
or the 30 second timeout specified in the
local-network-pingable.service file. If you want to change that
timeout, it is the "30" after the ping address.
Re: Need mythtv-backend startup advice [ In reply to ]
On 7/13/2019 1:29 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]
> your MythTV box is booting.
>
> Use nano or your favourite editor:
>
> nano local-network-pingable.service
>
> Then save the change and exit from nano or your editor and do these
> commands:
>
> systemctl enable local-network-pingable.service
> systemctl start local-network-pingable.service
> systemctl status local-network-pingable.service
>
> The systemctl status command should show that the
> local-network-pingable.service has started and the ping worked. If
> not, fix that before proceeding. Then do these commands:
>
> systemctl daemon-reload
> exit
>
> After that, on boot mythbackend will wait for either the ping to work,
> or the 30 second timeout specified in the
> local-network-pingable.service file. If you want to change that
> timeout, it is the "30" after the ping address.

Thanks Stephen, I'll go through it this weekend,

Don

---

Re: Need mythtv-backend startup advice [ In reply to ]

Thanks Stephen, that fixed it.

Don