Mailing List Archive

*** mythfrontend is not being removed ***
Hi All

Paul Harrison's April Fool's joke about removing mythfrontend seems to
have been taken seriously by many folks. There are no plans for that, in
fact we plan to expand the frontend to support Android TV devices like
the NVidia Shield.

Peter

Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
FAKE NEWS

YELLOW JOURNALISM

IT'S ALL JUST A MYTH!!

Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 10:24 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Hi All

Hi.

> Paul Harrison's April Fool's joke about removing mythfrontend seems
> have been taken seriously by many folks.

Yeah. That would be because it's not April 1. April Fool's jokes are
only valid on April 1. Anything else makes the jokester the fool.

I already pointed this out and gave the jokester the opportunity to
walk it back but it seems to have been continued.

b.
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 15:46 +0100, Another Sillyname wrote:
> FAKE NEWS
>
> YELLOW JOURNALISM
>
> IT'S ALL JUST A MYTH!!

But its a most excellent Myth, the awesomest Myth! Its the best Myth
around.

Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Brian J. Murrell
<brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 10:24 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Hi All
>
> Hi.
>

>> Paul Harrison's April Fool's joke about removing mythfrontend seems
>> have been taken seriously by many folks.
>
> Yeah. That would be because it's not April 1. April Fool's jokes are
> only valid on April 1. Anything else makes the jokester the fool.
>
> I already pointed this out and gave the jokester the opportunity to
> walk it back but it seems to have been continued.
>
> b.

You'd think that after at least five people expressly questioned
whether this was serious or not...clearly stressing out about
it...that someone would have spoken up(?). Who knows. Good news none
the less.

I'm still a bit curious as the the plugin support though...which was
actually the original topic of the other thread. While I don't use
them, I was curious about that in part due to the possibility that it
might remove the dependency on Qtwebkit (which takes me like 5-6 hours
to compile).

Tom
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On 03/26/2018 11:11 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 10:24 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Paul Harrison's April Fool's joke about removing mythfrontend seems
>> to have been taken seriously by many folks.
> Yeah. That would be because it's not April 1. April Fool's jokes are
> only valid on April 1. Anything else makes the jokester the fool.
>
> I already pointed this out and gave the jokester the opportunity to
> walk it back but it seems to have been continued.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-camelot-holy-grenade-00

published Mar 23, 2018
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2018-03-26 at 13:46 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-camelot-holy-grenade-00
>
> published Mar 23, 2018

Yes, and? I don't think that necessarily means that the author is
intending it to be an April Fool's joke but rather just a humourous
Internet-Draft. It doesn't at all read (or even start out) like
something I am supposed to think is anything other than humourous.

If it is meant to be an April Fool's joke, then I would put that author
just as off-side as the attempt here. Traditionally April Fool's RFCs
have a published date of "1 April" and you can even see them all
documented here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day_Request_for_Comments

The above does not seem to be listed there (yet).

Anyway, this horse is way dead and pretty beaten.

Cheers,
b.
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]

Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/2018 15:24, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Paul Harrison's April Fool's joke about removing mythfrontend seems to
> have been taken seriously by many folks. There are no plans for that, in
> fact we plan to expand the frontend to support Android TV devices like
> the NVidia Shield.

Any chance of supporting the Amazon Fire stick?
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:40:30PM +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 26/03/2018 15:24, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Paul Harrison's April Fool's joke about removing mythfrontend seems to
> > have been taken seriously by many folks. There are no plans for that, in
> > fact we plan to expand the frontend to support Android TV devices like
> > the NVidia Shield.
>
> Any chance of supporting the Amazon Fire stick?

When hardware decoding is added, there's a good chance it will work
for progressive content. I believe the current FireTV (not stick)
supports hardware deinterlacing so it will proably work for interlaced
content too. The older FireTVs and sticks, including the current one,
could be out of luck or have to accept inferior deinterlacing.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/2018 23:29, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:40:30PM +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> On 26/03/2018 15:24, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> Paul Harrison's April Fool's joke about removing mythfrontend seems to
>>> have been taken seriously by many folks. There are no plans for that, in
>>> fact we plan to expand the frontend to support Android TV devices like
>>> the NVidia Shield.
>>
>> Any chance of supporting the Amazon Fire stick?
>
> When hardware decoding is added, there's a good chance it will work
> for progressive content. I believe the current FireTV (not stick)
> supports hardware deinterlacing so it will proably work for interlaced
> content too. The older FireTVs and sticks, including the current one,
> could be out of luck or have to accept inferior deinterlacing.

Amazing! I've been pleased to see my frontends diminish in size over the
years, and imagined that trend might continue, but I'd never considered
the possibility of its physical form, in effect, disappearing
altogether.
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 4:59 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> On 26/03/2018 23:29, David Engel wrote:

>>> Any chance of supporting the Amazon Fire stick?
>>>

>> When hardware decoding is added, there's a good chance it will work
>> for progressive content. I believe the current FireTV (not stick)
>> supports hardware deinterlacing so it will proably work for interlaced
>> content too. The older FireTVs and sticks, including the current one,
>> could be out of luck or have to accept inferior deinterlacing.
>>

> Amazing! I've been pleased to see my frontends diminish in size over the
> years, and imagined that trend might continue, but I'd never considered
> the possibility of its physical form, in effect, disappearing
> altogether.

Thank God! That was a horrible joke to those of us who use the Myth FE and
are hooked on the commercial skip feature not available elsewhere.

Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 5:13 PM Larry Kennedy <lunchtimelarry@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 4:59 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

>>> When hardware decoding is added, there's a good chance it will work
>>> for progressive content. I believe the current FireTV (not stick)
>>> supports hardware deinterlacing so it will proably work for interlaced
>>> content too. The older FireTVs and sticks, including the current one,
>>> could be out of luck or have to accept inferior deinterlacing.
>>>

>> Amazing! I've been pleased to see my frontends diminish in size over the
>> years, and imagined that trend might continue, but I'd never considered
>> the possibility of its physical form, in effect, disappearing
>> altogether.
>>

> Thank God! That was a horrible joke to those of us who use the Myth FE
> and are hooked on the commercial skip feature not available elsewhere.

Plex DVR will show you an image of the place you are in the show when
skipping forward and has the option to transcode the commercials out. They
don't allow automatically skipping commercials without cutting them out
which is odd.

So the functionality does exist elsewhere to some degree.
--
-Thomas
Re: *** mythfrontend is not being removed *** [ In reply to ]