Mailing List Archive

HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming
Hi!

After the end of MythTV recording, when WebFrontend shows that none of
the encoders is recording, the tuner keep streaming to port 47224 of my
PC.

When I try to stop this from the command line with

hdhomerun_config <id> set /tuner0/channel none

it stops (the LED goes off), but after some time it starts again streaming.

hdhomerun_config <id> get /tuner0/status

reports however tuning to a different channel.

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions, as the situation is
rather annoying.

Best regards

Janusz

P.S. Why 'ps x' doesn't show me the MythTV backend?

--
,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Re: HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming [ In reply to ]
On 09/09/2017 01:10 AM, Janusz S. Bie? wrote:
> After the end of MythTV recording, when WebFrontend shows that none of
> the encoders is recording, the tuner keep streaming to port 47224 of my
> PC.
>
> When I try to stop this from the command line with
>
> hdhomerun_config <id> set /tuner0/channel none
>
> it stops (the LED goes off), but after some time it starts again streaming.
>
> hdhomerun_config <id> get /tuner0/status
>
> reports however tuning to a different channel.
>
> I will appreciate your comments and suggestions, as the situation is
> rather annoying.

Sounds exactly like what you wanted to happen before you started using
the HDHR Connect, per your question in "EIT and HDHomeRun CONNECT":

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/611138#611138

MythTV is activating the tuner to listen to the EIT stream data to get
your program listings.

Mike
Re: HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 09 2017 at 7:10 CEST, jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl writes:
> Hi!
>
> After the end of MythTV recording, when WebFrontend shows that none of
> the encoders is recording, the tuner keep streaming to port 47224 of my
> PC.
>
> When I try to stop this from the command line with
>
> hdhomerun_config <id> set /tuner0/channel none
>
> it stops (the LED goes off), but after some time it starts again streaming.
>
> hdhomerun_config <id> get /tuner0/status
>
> reports however tuning to a different channel.
>
> I will appreciate your comments and suggestions, as the situation is
> rather annoying.

I reported the problem on the SiliconDust forum

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66337

and got a suggestion that the culprit is the retrieval of EIT
information by MythTV. This doesn't seem probable to me, but I would
like to check it and possibly prove this is not the case. How to do it?

> Best regards
>
> Janusz
>
> P.S. Why 'ps x' doesn't show me the MythTV backend?

Still curious.

Best regards

Janusz

--
,
Re: HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming [ In reply to ]
On 23 September 2017 6:03:58 pm "Janusz S. Bie?" <jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 09 2017 at 7:10 CEST, jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl writes:
>> Hi!
>>
>> After the end of MythTV recording, when WebFrontend shows that none of
>> the encoders is recording, the tuner keep streaming to port 47224 of my
>> PC.
>>
>> When I try to stop this from the command line with
>>
>> hdhomerun_config <id> set /tuner0/channel none
>>
>> it stops (the LED goes off), but after some time it starts again streaming.
>>
>> hdhomerun_config <id> get /tuner0/status
>>
>> reports however tuning to a different channel.
>>
>> I will appreciate your comments and suggestions, as the situation is
>> rather annoying.
>
> I reported the problem on the SiliconDust forum
>
> https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66337
>
> and got a suggestion that the culprit is the retrieval of EIT
> information by MythTV. This doesn't seem probable to me, but I would
> like to check it and possibly prove this is not the case. How to do it?

Try mythbackend -v eit --loglevel debug

>> P.S. Why 'ps x' doesn't show me the MythTV backend?
>
> Still curious.
>
> Best regards
>
> Janusz

You are running the command as the BE user? Works for me.

Re: HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming [ In reply to ]
On 09/23/2017 04:32 AM, Janusz S. Bie? wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09 2017 at 7:10 CEST, jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl writes:
>> Hi!
>>
>> After the end of MythTV recording, when WebFrontend shows that none of
>> the encoders is recording, the tuner keep streaming to port 47224 of my
>> PC.
>>
>> When I try to stop this from the command line with
>>
>> hdhomerun_config <id> set /tuner0/channel none
>>
>> it stops (the LED goes off), but after some time it starts again streaming.
>>
>> hdhomerun_config <id> get /tuner0/status
>>
>> reports however tuning to a different channel.
>>
>> I will appreciate your comments and suggestions, as the situation is
>> rather annoying.
> I reported the problem on the SiliconDust forum
>
> https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66337
>
> and got a suggestion that the culprit is the retrieval of EIT
> information by MythTV.

You also got told the same thing here...
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/611498#611498

> This doesn't seem probable to me

Based on what? You've specifically said you're running EIT. MythTV has
to tune channels to be able to get the listings data they're sending in
their signal.

Mike
Re: HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming [ In reply to ]
Quote/Cytat - "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> (Sun 24 Sep
2017 02:25:24 PM CEST):

> On 09/23/2017 04:32 AM, Janusz S. Bie? wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 09 2017 at 7:10 CEST, jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl writes:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> After the end of MythTV recording, when WebFrontend shows that none of
>>> the encoders is recording, the tuner keep streaming to port 47224 of my
>>> PC.
>>>
>>> When I try to stop this from the command line with
>>>
>>> hdhomerun_config <id> set /tuner0/channel none
>>>
>>> it stops (the LED goes off), but after some time it starts again streaming.
>>>
>>> hdhomerun_config <id> get /tuner0/status
>>>
>>> reports however tuning to a different channel.
>>>
>>> I will appreciate your comments and suggestions, as the situation is
>>> rather annoying.
>> I reported the problem on the SiliconDust forum
>>
>> https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66337
>>
>> and got a suggestion that the culprit is the retrieval of EIT
>> information by MythTV.
>
> You also got told the same thing here...
> https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/611498#611498

Sorry, I've somehow missed your answer (I'm reading the mail in the
digest form). Thank you very much for it.

>> This doesn't seem probable to me
>
> Based on what? You've specifically said you're running EIT. MythTV
> has to tune channels to be able to get the listings data they're
> sending in their signal.

That's obvious but I see no need to use both tuners for hours.

Is mythfilldatabase used also for EIT?

MythTV WebFrontend shows

Last mythfilldatabase run started on Sun Sep 24 2017, 6:13 AM and
ended on Sun Sep 24 2017, 6:13 AM. Successful.
Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: Mon Sep 25 2017, 6:13 AM.
There's guide data until 2017-10-02 02:05:00 (8 days).

Now it's 14:43 and the tuners still stream to my PC. The HDHR log
looks like this:

20170924-12:32:33 Tuner: tuner0 streaming rtp to 192.168.1.11:43755
20170924-12:33:52 Tuner: tuner1 rtp stream ended (stop request)
20170924-12:33:53 Tuner: tuner1 streaming rtp to 192.168.1.11:38873
20170924-12:37:43 Tuner: tuner0 rtp stream ended (stop request)
20170924-12:37:44 Tuner: tuner0 streaming rtp to 192.168.1.11:43755
20170924-12:37:47 Tuner: tuner0 rtp stream ended (stop request)
20170924-12:39:21 Tuner: tuner1 rtp stream ended (stop request)
20170924-12:39:21 Tuner: tuner1 streaming rtp to 192.168.1.11:38873
20170924-12:39:24 Tuner: tuner1 rtp stream ended (stop request)
20170924-12:40:07 Tuner: tuner0 streaming rtp to 192.168.1.11:43755
20170924-12:42:33 Tuner: tuner1 streaming rtp to 192.168.1.11:38873

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bie? - Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Re: HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming [ In reply to ]
Quote/Cytat - "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> (Sun 24 Sep
2017 03:14:53 PM CEST):
[...]

> The data is generally sent spread out across multiplexes ("set of
> channels") such that MythTV has to tune a channel and listen to it
> for a while to figure out what data is being sent for those
> channels, then tune another multiplex and listen to it to figure out
> what's on those channels, and continue for all the multiplexes.
> Then, by the time it finishes, the data may well have changed for
> some of the channels (or have been updated with further listings
> data or ...), so it starts the process again.
>
> If you don't like your tuners being in use for it, you'll need to
> either find another source for listings data (like some XMLTV
> source) or you can choose to disable "Active EIT" in your capture
> card settings in mythtv-setup:
>
> Use DVB card for active EIT scan
> If enabled, activate active scanning for program data (EIT). When
> this option is enabled the DVB card is constantly in-use.
>
> However, if you do, you will only get "passive" EIT scanning,
> meaning you will only get EIT data when you're recording (recordings
> and Live TV), and only for the multiplex on which you're recording
> (meaning you could lose all data for a given multiplex if you don't
> record from it or at least tune it in Live TV often enough and for
> long enough.
>
> If you want high-availability listings data, and want to use EIT,
> you really do want active EIT. You could disable it on only one or
> a couple of capture cards, but choose carefully how much to disable.
>

>> Is mythfilldatabase used also for EIT?
>
> No. It's only for filling the database with listings from XMLTV or
> Schedules Direct.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

Best regards

Janusz

Re: HDHomerun Connect: "idle" tuner keep streaming [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 23 2017 at 12:33 CEST, perkins1724@hotmail.com writes:

[...]

> Try mythbackend -v eit --loglevel debug

Thanks for the suggestion. I've finally found time to follow
it. Unfortunately the log messages are too cryptic for me, I see no
explicit information when the tuners are used for EIT. For the time
being I will live with it, perhaps I will return to the problem some
time in the future.

>>> P.S. Why 'ps x' doesn't show me the MythTV backend?

[...]

> You are running the command as the BE user? Works for me.

Thanks for the hint.

For me it works too, but I expected the BE process to be visible also
for a regular user, as I call e.g. mythtv-setup as a regular user.

Actually what I had in mind is: what's the simplest way to check that
BE is running?

Best regards

Janusz

--