Mailing List Archive

vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22
I'm running under Gentoo using a 4.9.16 kernel on x86. I started to
notice a growing number of h264 videos that wouldn't play correctly. I
would get a flickering video, oddly enough displaying what appeared to
be the last frame of the *previous* video or recording I played. It
finally came up enough that I started looking into it. It turned out
the frontend was logging these errors repeatedly:

2017-07-06 20:34:32.133432 E [1493/18682] Decoder
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (Decode) - VDPAU: Error at
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (#20, The size of a supplied object does not
match the object it is being used with.)
2017-07-06 20:34:32.136115 E [1493/1493] CoreContext
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1165 (MixAndRend) - VDPAU: Error at
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1165 (#20, The size of a supplied object does not
match the object it is being used with.)
2017-07-06 20:34:32.150698 E [1493/18682] Decoder
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (Decode) - VDPAU: Error at
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (#20, The size of a supplied object does not
match the object it is being used with.)
2017-07-06 20:34:32.153093 E [1493/1493] CoreContext
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1165 (MixAndRend) - VDPAU: Error at
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1165 (#20, The size of a supplied object does not
match the object it is being used with.)

Someone appears to have mentioned something similar on this nvidia forum:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1016720/vdpau-error-on-some-videos/?offset=2

I discovered that downgrading to x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-378.13
corrected this, so the issue appears to be with 381.22. Anyone else
run into that?

Thanks!
Tom
Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:17 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone else run into that?

Reported on the nvidia forums. You can provide the detailed
debug info there (to help nvidia resolve it).

Ref: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1016720/vdpau-error-on-some-videos/?offset=1

And you could always try 384.47 (what can possibly go wrong).
Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 09:17:06PM -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> I'm running under Gentoo using a 4.9.16 kernel on x86. I started to
> notice a growing number of h264 videos that wouldn't play correctly. I
> would get a flickering video, oddly enough displaying what appeared to
> be the last frame of the *previous* video or recording I played. It
> finally came up enough that I started looking into it. It turned out
> the frontend was logging these errors repeatedly:
>
> 2017-07-06 20:34:32.133432 E [1493/18682] Decoder
> mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (Decode) - VDPAU: Error at
> mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (#20, The size of a supplied object does not
> match the object it is being used with.)

<snip>

I saw that and found that it seemed to happen any time the video
resolution wasn't a multiple of 4, which meant that some of my DVD rips
where I'd cropped out letterboxing did not work. In my case, the videos
played correctly with mpv but not with MythTV's internal player, but I
never went back to find out if mpv was actually playing them with vdpau
or if it was catching the error and falling back to software.

--
Michael Heironimus
Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 09:17:06PM -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:

>> 2017-07-06 20:34:32.133432 E [1493/18682] Decoder
>> mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (Decode) - VDPAU: Error at
>> mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1596 (#20, The size of a supplied object does not
>> match the object it is being used with.)
>
> I saw that and found that it seemed to happen any time the video
> resolution wasn't a multiple of 4, which meant that some of my DVD rips
> where I'd cropped out letterboxing did not work. In my case, the videos
> played correctly with mpv but not with MythTV's internal player, but I
> never went back to find out if mpv was actually playing them with vdpau
> or if it was catching the error and falling back to software.

Wow...amazing observation. I think you're correct. I have two very
similar h264 videos, one that fails and one that works, and sure
enough, they're 718x1280 and 720x1280 respectively. I just posted that
information to to that nvidia forum thread.

In the case of my failures, the xine player worked. However just like
you, I never checked to see if it was failing over to xv or something
else. I have that set to auto, so that may well be what was happening.

Tom
Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> In the case of my failures, the xine player worked. However just like
> you, I never checked to see if it was failing over to xv or something
> else. I have that set to auto, so that may well be what was happening.

Interestingly, just as a test I went back to 381.22 temporarily and
discovered that xine is in fact managing to use VDPAU on the video
that fails in MythTV. Not sure what the difference is, though xine
would be using a newer ffmpeg (media-video/ffmpeg-3.2.4). Note however
that the user who reported the same issue on that nvidia forum was
having these issues in mplayer.

Tom
Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On 7/8/2017 10:58 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> In the case of my failures, the xine player worked. However just like
>> you, I never checked to see if it was failing over to xv or something
>> else. I have that set to auto, so that may well be what was happening.
>>
> Interestingly, just as a test I went back to 381.22 temporarily and
> discovered that xine is in fact managing to use VDPAU on the video
> that fails in MythTV. Not sure what the difference is, though xine
> would be using a newer ffmpeg (media-video/ffmpeg-3.2.4). Note however
> that the user who reported the same issue on that nvidia forum was
> having these issues in mplayer.
>
> Tom

This probably has nothing to do with your issue, but I thought it might
be worth mentioning. Vdpau wouldn't work for me in Ubuntu 16.04 because
of a gpu-manager error reported in syslog (....modprobe.d is not a
file). I switched the mythfrontend video config from vdpau to High
Quality to get-around until I figure it out.

---

Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I saw that and found that it seemed to happen any time the video
> resolution wasn't a multiple of 4, which meant that some of my DVD rips
> where I'd cropped out letterboxing did not work. In my case, the videos
> played correctly with mpv but not with MythTV's internal player, but I
> never went back to find out if mpv was actually playing them with vdpau
> or if it was catching the error and falling back to software.
>
> --
> Michael Heironimus

This was a really great catch. Nobody else happened to notice that the
resolution was causing this. They've now fixed that as of 384.59
apparently:

Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On 30/07/17 19:51, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> I saw that and found that it seemed to happen any time the video
>> resolution wasn't a multiple of 4, which meant that some of my DVD rips
>> where I'd cropped out letterboxing did not work. In my case, the videos
>> played correctly with mpv but not with MythTV's internal player, but I
>> never went back to find out if mpv was actually playing them with vdpau
>> or if it was catching the error and falling back to software.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Heironimus
>
> This was a really great catch. Nobody else happened to notice that the
> resolution was causing this. They've now fixed that as of 384.59
> apparently:
>
> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1016720/vdpau-error-on-some-videos/?offset=2
>
> Thanks!
> Tom

But on the rpmfusion list there's a report of problems with audio over
dp/hdmi with 375.82 and 384.59 I haven't tried either.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1019761/linux/no-sound-using-displayport-audio-with-375-82-or-384-59/

Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:
> On 30/07/17 19:51, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Michael Heironimus <mkh01@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I saw that and found that it seemed to happen any time the video
>>> resolution wasn't a multiple of 4, which meant that some of my DVD rips
>>> where I'd cropped out letterboxing did not work. In my case, the videos
>>> played correctly with mpv but not with MythTV's internal player, but I
>>> never went back to find out if mpv was actually playing them with vdpau
>>> or if it was catching the error and falling back to software.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Heironimus
>>

>> This was a really great catch. Nobody else happened to notice that the
>> resolution was causing this. They've now fixed that as of 384.59
>> apparently:
>>

>> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1016720/vdpau-error-on-some-videos/?offset=2
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tom
>

> But on the rpmfusion list there's a report of problems with audio over
> dp/hdmi with 375.82 and 384.59 I haven't tried either.
>
> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1019761/linux/no-sound-using-displayport-audio-with-375-82-or-384-59/

Interesting. That topic only seems to mention DP though. I'm using
HDMI with no problem using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-378.13 under
Gentoo for what it's worth.

Tom
Re: vdpau errors using nvidia-drivers-381.22 [ In reply to ]
On 30/07/17 22:25, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk@tesco.net> wrote:
>> On 30/07/17 19:51, Tom Dexter wrote:

>>> This was a really great catch. Nobody else happened to notice that the
>>> resolution was causing this. They've now fixed that as of 384.59
>>> apparently:
>>>

>>> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1016720/vdpau-error-on-some-videos/?offset=2
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Tom
>>

>> But on the rpmfusion list there's a report of problems with audio over
>> dp/hdmi with 375.82 and 384.59 I haven't tried either.
>>
>> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1019761/linux/no-sound-using-displayport-audio-with-375-82-or-384-59/
>>

> Interesting. That topic only seems to mention DP though. I'm using
> HDMI with no problem using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-378.13 under
> Gentoo for what it's worth.
>
> Tom

I updated my f25 box to 375.82 from rpmfusion and stereo via hdmi seems
fine. Pan/tilt in HD still seems a bit smoother via upnp, though.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208
[GeForce GT 710B] [10de:128b] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 HDMI/DP Audio
Controller [10de:0e0f] (rev a1)

John P