Mailing List Archive

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser
On Sonntag, 12. M?rz 2017 14:07:20 CET Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 11/03/17 22:34, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > Hi...
> >
> > I am the author of the Monochrome theme which was recently added to the
> > theme chooser. Yesterday I increased the version of the theme after a lot
> > of changes I made to the theme. The theme has three branches fixes/0.27,
> > fixes/0.28 and master. All there branches have now different theme
> > version numbers. It seems that the theme chooser for mythtv 0.28 is using
> > the master branch of the theme (which will become fixes/0.29 in the
> > future) instead of the fixes/0.28 branch. Could that be changed so that
> > the theme chooser for mythtv 0.28 uses the fixes/ 0.28 branch of the
> > theme?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ciao Jan
>
> Are you saying the packaged versions of the themes are incorrect?
>
> We have for 0.27-fixes version 1.1
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/0.27/Monochrome-1.1_0.27.zip
>
> For 0.28-fixes version 1.91
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/0.28/Monochrome-1.91_0.28.zip
>
> For master version 2.90
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/trunk/Monochrome-2.90_trunk.zip
>
> Or do you mean MythTV 0.28-fixes is pulling in the wrong package?

Yes I think the latter happened. I run a combined BE/FE of MythTV fixes/0.28
and yesterday it displayed a message that version 2.90 of the Monochrome theme
is available. So I assumed the theme chooser pulls form the wrong branch. At
least it has got somehow the wrong version number.

Ciao Jan
Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On 03/12/2017 09:50 AM, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> Yes I think the latter happened. I run a combined BE/FE of MythTV fixes/0.28
> and yesterday it displayed a message that version 2.90 of the Monochrome theme
> is available. So I assumed the theme chooser pulls form the wrong branch. At
> least it has got somehow the wrong version number.
>
> Ciao Jan

Hi Jan

I had this problem before, and it was caused by building MythTV from a
different git branch than fixes/0.28. If you are building yourself and
your git branch is named differently (or if your package builder had a
different named git branch), it defaults to pull the theme from master
(know as "trunk" in the themes system).

Check by running mythfrontend --version, see if it says "MythTV Branch :
fixes/0.28". If it says anything else, that could be your problem.

Peter

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On Sonntag, 12. M?rz 2017 17:46:13 CET Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 03/12/2017 09:50 AM, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > Yes I think the latter happened. I run a combined BE/FE of MythTV
> > fixes/0.28 and yesterday it displayed a message that version 2.90 of the
> > Monochrome theme is available. So I assumed the theme chooser pulls form
> > the wrong branch. At least it has got somehow the wrong version number.
> >
> > Ciao Jan
>
> Hi Jan
>
> I had this problem before, and it was caused by building MythTV from a
> different git branch than fixes/0.28. If you are building yourself and
> your git branch is named differently (or if your package builder had a
> different named git branch), it defaults to pull the theme from master
> (know as "trunk" in the themes system).
>
> Check by running mythfrontend --version, see if it says "MythTV Branch :
> fixes/0.28". If it says anything else, that could be your problem.

Hi Peter...

I am using the official ArchLinux packages. However mythfrontend version says:
MythTV Version : 3543e74
MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28
Network Protocol : 88
Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
QT Version : 5.7.0

So that might indeed be the reason as you suspected. If that is not a general
problem for users, than I can live with that. I had the fear that the wrong
version is advertised to users.

Ciao Jan
Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On 03/12/2017 01:35 PM, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> Hi Peter...
>
> I am using the official ArchLinux packages. However mythfrontend version says:
> MythTV Version : 3543e74
> MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28
> Network Protocol : 88
> Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
> QT Version : 5.7.0
>
> So that might indeed be the reason as you suspected. If that is not a general
> problem for users, than I can live with that. I had the fear that the wrong
> version is advertised to users.
>
> Ciao Jan
Actually it needs both Branch and Version to be correct for the correct
theme to be downloaded. You should have something like this:

MythTV Version : v0.28.1
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
Network Protocol : 88
Library API : 0.28.20161120-1
QT Version : 5.5.1

If the version a later commit later than the tag you could see
MythTV Version : v0.28.1-95-g93c8cf8
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28

Either of these is valid but with yours showing the version as 3543e74
the theme download will always use the trunk version of themes.

You may want to take this up with the packager.

Peter

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On Sonntag, 12. M?rz 2017 20:36:59 CET Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 03/12/2017 01:35 PM, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > Hi Peter...
> >
> > I am using the official ArchLinux packages. However mythfrontend version
> > says: MythTV Version : 3543e74
> > MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28
> > Network Protocol : 88
> > Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
> > QT Version : 5.7.0
> >
> > So that might indeed be the reason as you suspected. If that is not a
> > general problem for users, than I can live with that. I had the fear that
> > the wrong version is advertised to users.
> >
> > Ciao Jan
>
> Actually it needs both Branch and Version to be correct for the correct
> theme to be downloaded. You should have something like this:
>
> MythTV Version : v0.28.1
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
> Network Protocol : 88
> Library API : 0.28.20161120-1
> QT Version : 5.5.1
>
> If the version a later commit later than the tag you could see
> MythTV Version : v0.28.1-95-g93c8cf8
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
>
> Either of these is valid but with yours showing the version as 3543e74
> the theme download will always use the trunk version of themes.
>
> You may want to take this up with the packager.

Ok, thanks for the clarifications.

Ciao Jan

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On Montag, 13. M?rz 2017 10:00:04 CET Steve Goodey wrote:
> Jan,
>
> I see you've now themed the mythburn screens, thanks.
>
> Can I mention a slight bug which I think I've found using v1.1 (0.27)?
> On the Thumb Image Selector screen I've noticed that Seek Amount is
> blank. If I move to that and then press up arrow '1 second' appears.
> Pressing down arrow then shows 'frame' which is what should be shown on
> initial showing of the Thumb Image Selector screen.
> I hope this makes sense. If not I could enclose some screenshots.

Yes I noticed that too. I just looked into the corresponding source code
(mytharchive/thumbfinder.cpp) and it seems that that specific text element is
not correctly initialized with the initial seek value.
Some themes seem to workaround that issue and provide a default value for the
text element in the theme file. You can see that the default value provided by
the theme (for instance Terra) has an initial value of "Frame" and if you then
press the up arrow and then the down arrow it changes to "frame" (notice the
different case).
So it would probably better to report that issue to the developers so it gets
fixed for all themes.

> Have you thought of announcing your theme on the mythtv forum[1] or on
> the wiki[2] ?

I did not occur to me up to now. :-) But it might be a good idea to promote it
some more.

Ciao Jan

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On 13/03/17 23:03, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> On Montag, 13. M?rz 2017 10:00:04 CET Steve Goodey wrote:
>> Jan,
>>
>> I see you've now themed the mythburn screens, thanks.
>>
>> Can I mention a slight bug which I think I've found using v1.1 (0.27)?
>> On the Thumb Image Selector screen I've noticed that Seek Amount is
>> blank. If I move to that and then press up arrow '1 second' appears.
>> Pressing down arrow then shows 'frame' which is what should be shown on
>> initial showing of the Thumb Image Selector screen.
>> I hope this makes sense. If not I could enclose some screenshots.
>
> Yes I noticed that too. I just looked into the corresponding source code
> (mytharchive/thumbfinder.cpp) and it seems that that specific text element is
> not correctly initialized with the initial seek value.
> Some themes seem to workaround that issue and provide a default value for the
> text element in the theme file. You can see that the default value provided by
> the theme (for instance Terra) has an initial value of "Frame" and if you then
> press the up arrow and then the down arrow it changes to "frame" (notice the
> different case).
> So it would probably better to report that issue to the developers so it gets
> fixed for all themes.

This should be fixed now in master and 0.28-fixes.

Paul H.

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
Am 15.03.2017 um 11:39 schrieb Paul Harrison:
> On 13/03/17 23:03, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
>> On Montag, 13. M?rz 2017 10:00:04 CET Steve Goodey wrote:
>>> Jan,
>>>
>>> I see you've now themed the mythburn screens, thanks.
>>>
>>> Can I mention a slight bug which I think I've found using v1.1 (0.27)?
>>> On the Thumb Image Selector screen I've noticed that Seek Amount is
>>> blank. If I move to that and then press up arrow '1 second' appears.
>>> Pressing down arrow then shows 'frame' which is what should be shown on
>>> initial showing of the Thumb Image Selector screen.
>>> I hope this makes sense. If not I could enclose some screenshots.
>>
>> Yes I noticed that too. I just looked into the corresponding source code
>> (mytharchive/thumbfinder.cpp) and it seems that that specific text
>> element is
>> not correctly initialized with the initial seek value.
>> Some themes seem to workaround that issue and provide a default value
>> for the
>> text element in the theme file. You can see that the default value
>> provided by
>> the theme (for instance Terra) has an initial value of "Frame" and if
>> you then
>> press the up arrow and then the down arrow it changes to "frame"
>> (notice the
>> different case).
>> So it would probably better to report that issue to the developers so
>> it gets
>> fixed for all themes.
>>

> This should be fixed now in master and 0.28-fixes.
>
> Paul H.
Great! Many thanks!

Ciao Jan
Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 15 Mar 2017 10:39:40 Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 13/03/17 23:03, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > On Montag, 13. M?rz 2017 10:00:04 CET Steve Goodey wrote:
> >> Jan,
> >>
> >> I see you've now themed the mythburn screens, thanks.
> >>
> >> Can I mention a slight bug which I think I've found using v1.1 (0.27)?
> >> On the Thumb Image Selector screen I've noticed that Seek Amount
is
> >> blank. If I move to that and then press up arrow '1 second' appears.
> >> Pressing down arrow then shows 'frame' which is what should be
shown on
> >> initial showing of the Thumb Image Selector screen.
> >> I hope this makes sense. If not I could enclose some screenshots.
> >
> > Yes I noticed that too. I just looked into the corresponding source
code
> > (mytharchive/thumbfinder.cpp) and it seems that that specific text
element
> > is not correctly initialized with the initial seek value.
> > Some themes seem to workaround that issue and provide a default
value for
> > the text element in the theme file. You can see that the default value
> > provided by the theme (for instance Terra) has an initial value of
> > "Frame" and if you then press the up arrow and then the down arrow it
> > changes to "frame" (notice the different case).
> > So it would probably better to report that issue to the developers so it
> > gets fixed for all themes.
>
> This should be fixed now in master and 0.28-fixes.
>
> Paul H.

Thanks for fixing that Paul.

Regards, Steve Goodey
Colchester, England
mailto://stevegoodey@spamcop.net

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/17 19:36, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 03/12/2017 01:35 PM, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
>> Hi Peter...
>>
>> I am using the official ArchLinux packages. However mythfrontend
>> version says:
>> MythTV Version : 3543e74
>> MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28
>> Network Protocol : 88
>> Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
>> QT Version : 5.7.0
>>
>> So that might indeed be the reason as you suspected. If that is not a
>> general
>> problem for users, than I can live with that. I had the fear that the
>> wrong
>> version is advertised to users.
>>
>> Ciao Jan
> Actually it needs both Branch and Version to be correct for the correct
> theme to be downloaded. You should have something like this:
>
> MythTV Version : v0.28.1
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
> Network Protocol : 88
> Library API : 0.28.20161120-1
> QT Version : 5.5.1
>
> If the version a later commit later than the tag you could see
> MythTV Version : v0.28.1-95-g93c8cf8
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
>
> Either of these is valid but with yours showing the version as 3543e74
> the theme download will always use the trunk version of themes.
>
> You may want to take this up with the packager.

Well actually, if they are using the "tagged" 0.28 release (aka, the GA
version) then this looks like a bug on our side.

Interestingly enough, if we fixed it, then the version would move to
fixes/0.28 and it would just work anyway.....

Regards
Stuart

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On 03/20/2017 07:45 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 12/03/17 19:36, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 03/12/2017 01:35 PM, jaham@gmx.net wrote:
>>> Hi Peter...
>>>
>>> I am using the official ArchLinux packages. However mythfrontend
>>> version says:
>>> MythTV Version : 3543e74
>>> MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28
>>> Network Protocol : 88
>>> Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
>>> QT Version : 5.7.0
>>>
>>> So that might indeed be the reason as you suspected. If that is not a
>>> general
>>> problem for users, than I can live with that. I had the fear that the
>>> wrong
>>> version is advertised to users.
>>>
>>> Ciao Jan
>> Actually it needs both Branch and Version to be correct for the correct
>> theme to be downloaded. You should have something like this:
>>
>> MythTV Version : v0.28.1
>> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
>> Network Protocol : 88
>> Library API : 0.28.20161120-1
>> QT Version : 5.5.1
>>
>> If the version a later commit later than the tag you could see
>> MythTV Version : v0.28.1-95-g93c8cf8
>> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
>>
>> Either of these is valid but with yours showing the version as 3543e74
>> the theme download will always use the trunk version of themes.
>>
>> You may want to take this up with the packager.
>>
> Well actually, if they are using the "tagged" 0.28 release (aka, the GA
> version) then this looks like a bug on our side.
>
> Interestingly enough, if we fixed it, then the version would move to
> fixes/0.28 and it would just work anyway.....
>
> Regards
> Stuart

Hi Stuart

I looked at the code a few weeks ago and if I understand it correctly,
the branch has to start with "fixes", and if it does then the code
parses the version number. In this user's case the branch starts with
"tag" and the version number is a commit hash, so could not be parsed
even if the fixes check was bypassed. I am not sure of the best way to
fix it.

Peter

Re: [mythtv-theming] Theme update via MythTV theme chooser [ In reply to ]
On 20/03/17 14:58, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 03/20/2017 07:45 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

>>> Actually it needs both Branch and Version to be correct for the correct
>>> theme to be downloaded. You should have something like this:
>>>
>>> MythTV Version : v0.28.1
>>> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
>>> Network Protocol : 88
>>> Library API : 0.28.20161120-1
>>> QT Version : 5.5.1
>>>
>>> If the version a later commit later than the tag you could see
>>> MythTV Version : v0.28.1-95-g93c8cf8
>>> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
>>>
>>> Either of these is valid but with yours showing the version as 3543e74
>>> the theme download will always use the trunk version of themes.
>>>
>>> You may want to take this up with the packager.
>>>
>> Well actually, if they are using the "tagged" 0.28 release (aka, the GA
>> version) then this looks like a bug on our side.
>>
>> Interestingly enough, if we fixed it, then the version would move to
>> fixes/0.28 and it would just work anyway.....
>>
>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>

> Hi Stuart
>
> I looked at the code a few weeks ago and if I understand it correctly,
> the branch has to start with "fixes", and if it does then the code
> parses the version number. In this user's case the branch starts with
> "tag" and the version number is a commit hash, so could not be parsed
> even if the fixes check was bypassed. I am not sure of the best way to
> fix it.
>
> Peter

We should just code it so that it tries to parse the version number
if it starts with "tag" just like we do for fixes.

Bonus points for a unit test to verify it works.

Regards
Stuart