Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4  View All
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
> > Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and the like, who is creating
> their
> > own MPEG2 content?
>
> Anyone wishing to mail a DVD to grand-ma? Some people aren't very
> tech savy but can manage to stick a disc in a player.
>
> Eric

Good point. I never think about DVDs.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
> > Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and the like, who is creating
> their
> > own MPEG2 content?
>
> Anyone wishing to mail a DVD to grand-ma? Some people aren't very
> tech savy but can manage to stick a disc in a player.
>
> Eric

I am also impressed that grand-ma has an ATV and MythTV setup!
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and the like, who is creating
>> their
>> > own MPEG2 content?
>>
>> Anyone wishing to mail a DVD to grand-ma? Some people aren't very
>> tech savy but can manage to stick a disc in a player.
>>
>> Eric
>>

> I am also impressed that grand-ma has an ATV and MythTV setup!

This is funny think about...

Grand-mas with an ATV, MythTV, and grandchild willing to set it all up and
send her DVDs has to be the most niche of niche groups ever! Certainly not
a good ROI.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
> Grand-mas with an ATV, MythTV, and grandchild willing to set it all up and
> send her DVDs has to be the most niche of niche groups ever! Certainly not a
> good ROI.

I'm not sure why she would need a MythTV in this case. I was thinking
of a standard consumer DVD player. Or maybe one of those TV's with
the built-in DVD player. I only have one grandparent left, and that's
about her speed. She's not browsing Facebook.

Eric
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On 10/11/15 17:42, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>> [deletia]
>
> Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and the like, who is creating
> their own MPEG2 content?

Well, every Standard Definition digital TV broadcast in the UK, for starters.

HD has gone to h264 but I don't think there are any plans to retrofit to SD. There's just too much
existing hardware out there.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 10/11/15 17:42, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>
>> [deletia]
>>>

>> Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and the like, who is creating
>> their own MPEG2 content?
>>
>> Well, every Standard Definition digital TV broadcast in the UK, for
> starters.
>
> HD has gone to h264 but I don't think there are any plans to retrofit to
> SD. There's just too much existing hardware out there.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

So, who is this non MythTV user, who is broadcasting his SD home videos in
MPEG2 format all over the UK?

The only point I am trying to make is that all of these streaming devices
are made for streaming commercial content over the internet and, as jedi
mentioned, personal content. Outside of MythTV users and the like, I know
of no personal content encoded in MPEG2.

I will ask my question again. Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and
the like, who is creating their own MPEG2 content?
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Tom,

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
> wrote:

>> On 10/11/15 17:42, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>>
>>> [deletia]
>>>>

>>> Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and the like, who is creating
>>> their own MPEG2 content?
>>>
>>> Well, every Standard Definition digital TV broadcast in the UK, for
>> starters.
>>
>> HD has gone to h264 but I don't think there are any plans to retrofit to
>> SD. There's just too much existing hardware out there.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins

> So, who is this non MythTV user, who is broadcasting his SD home videos in
> MPEG2 format all over the UK?

> The only point I am trying to make is that all of these streaming devices
> are made for streaming commercial content over the internet and, as jedi
> mentioned, personal content. Outside of MythTV users and the like, I know
> of no personal content encoded in MPEG2.

> I will ask my question again. Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and
> the like, who is creating their own MPEG2 content?

He is talking about the majority of the 'COMMERCIAL' broadcasters in
Europe. It may surprise you, but there is live outside the US!

Tot mails,
Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop
Het eeuwige dilemma

De lerende Mens

Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Tom,
>
> Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 10:44:34 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Mike Perkins <
> mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> starters.
> >>
> >> HD has gone to h264 but I don't think there are any plans to retrofit to
> >> SD. There's just too much existing hardware out there.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Perkins

> > So, who is this non MythTV user, who is broadcasting his SD home videos
> in
> > MPEG2 format all over the UK?
>
> > The only point I am trying to make is that all of these streaming devices
> > are made for streaming commercial content over the internet and, as jedi
> > mentioned, personal content. Outside of MythTV users and the like, I know
> > of no personal content encoded in MPEG2.
>
> > I will ask my question again. Outside of our niche group, MythTV users
> and
> > the like, who is creating their own MPEG2 content?
>
> He is talking about the majority of the 'COMMERCIAL' broadcasters in
> Europe. It may surprise you, but there is live outside the US!
>
> Tot mails,
> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

I'd probably point out that while I'm only half following this discussion,
it's worth noting that I believe the question was specifically discussing
NON-COMMERCIAL broadcasters.

And while your pointed comment about there being life outside the US was
unnecessary, I'd like to point out that most broadcasters in the US still
broadcast in MPEG2 and are just now moving to MPEG4 broadcasting which to
my knowledge is behind what most major broadcasters in the EU currently do.
So while you attempted to make another "lol, look at the ignorant
americans" comment, I would argue that you did something quite to the
contrary.

Thomas
--
Thomas Mashos
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Thomas,

Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 12:01:03 AM, you wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Hoi Tom,
>>
>> Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 10:44:34 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Mike Perkins <
>> mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>

>> > So, who is this non MythTV user, who is broadcasting his SD home videos
>> in
>> > MPEG2 format all over the UK?
>>
>> > The only point I am trying to make is that all of these streaming devices
>> > are made for streaming commercial content over the internet and, as jedi
>> > mentioned, personal content. Outside of MythTV users and the like, I know
>> > of no personal content encoded in MPEG2.
>>
>> > I will ask my question again. Outside of our niche group, MythTV users
>> and
>> > the like, who is creating their own MPEG2 content?
>>
>> He is talking about the majority of the 'COMMERCIAL' broadcasters in
>> Europe. It may surprise you, but there is live outside the US!
>>
>> Tot mails,
>> Hika mailto:hikavdh@gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens

> I'd probably point out that while I'm only half following this discussion,
> it's worth noting that I believe the question was specifically discussing
> NON-COMMERCIAL broadcasters.

Why do you think I quoted that. Here the broadcasting standard is
still mpeg2. Commercial and non-commercial. And I don't see it
changing in the near future. To much cost in replacing hardware.
And to quote Mike 'every Standard Definition digital TV broadcast in
the UK' Followed by Tom's remark about '... who is this non MythTV
user ...'!?!?

It just sometimes gets annoying, you from across the pond, thinking
you are the world (standard)!

Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It just sometimes gets annoying, you from across the pond, thinking
> you are the world (standard)!

It's annoying for some of us that live under that, too...
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

> 1080i or 720p?

CPU utilization is about 65% for 1080i and 45% for 720p.

> Which de-interlacer are you using? Do you offer de-interlacing options?

I'm currently using whatever libVLC uses by default. Looks like that might
be Blender? I don't offer options currently. It looks like that wouldn't be
too hard. I haven't noticed a problem with 1080i content.

> Does your client mark recordings played automatically?

The beta version I sent out last night has a progress bar with each item in
the recordings list, so you can see which have been watched. I see there is
an API call to mark recordings watched on the backend. I'll add that this
week.

> Is the current playback position saved on exit so one can resume where we
> left off?

Yes.

> Just on your client or on Mythfrontend?

It's stored in iCloud, so it is synced across all your Apple TVs. I haven't
found a way to store or retrieve playback positions with the Services API,
so they are currently not synced with Mythfrontend.

> Does your client offer commerical skipping?

Just 30-second skip and fast-forward. It doesn't use the commercial
flagging data yet.

> Playback at 1.1 or 1.2 times normal? None of these are deal-breakers,
> but they are nice features of the native frontend.

The beta does 1.3, 2, 4, 6x playback. I can add more steps if that's
interesting. I'm thinking about making that configurable.

> Just for interest, what protocol do you use to connect to the backend?
> The Services API?

Yes, the Services API.

> Did you previously do an iOS client or is this brand new?

This is brand new.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 10, 2015, at 8:16 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca <mailto:ctreleaven@cogeco.ca>> wrote:
>
> ... Playback at 1.1 or 1.2 times normal? None of these are deal-breakers, but they are nice features of the native frontend.
>
> The beta does 1.3, 2, 4, 6x playback. I can add more steps if that's interesting. I'm thinking about making that configurable.

Thanks for all the info. The 1.1/1.2 speeds are useful for certain kinds of talk shows, documentaries, etc. Mythfrontend does some magic so the voices don’t sound like chipmunks.

Another minor feature that I sometimes use in the frontend is stepping forward/back frame-by-frame when playback is paused. Most often when that message flashs up at the end of the Big Bang Theory and whatnot. I _wouldn’t_ use to see just much was exposed when there was a flash of (attractive) skin on the screen. Because, you know, that would be embarassing to admit! ;)

Craig
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On 11 November 2015 at 12:07, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 8:16 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca>
> wrote:
>

>> ... Playback at 1.1 or 1.2 times normal? None of these are
>> deal-breakers, but they are nice features of the native frontend.
>>

> The beta does 1.3, 2, 4, 6x playback. I can add more steps if that's
> interesting. I'm thinking about making that configurable.
>

> Thanks for all the info. The 1.1/1.2 speeds are useful for certain kinds
> of talk shows, documentaries, etc. Mythfrontend does some magic so the
> voices don’t sound like chipmunks.
>
> Another minor feature that I sometimes use in the frontend is stepping
> forward/back frame-by-frame when playback is paused. Most often when that
> message flashs up at the end of the Big Bang Theory and whatnot. I
> _wouldn’t_ use to see just much was exposed when there was a flash of
> (attractive) skin on the screen. Because, you know, that would be
> embarassing to admit! ;)
>
> Craig
>

> I even run some sporting events at 1.4x in mythtv, with the iOS podcast
App it can run a 2x without chipmunking!

is there any reason you wouldn't also release the app for iOS also or is
there some technical reason (perhaps the smaller screen size or some other
apple roadblock) given that Torc hasn't been updated in some time...

Cheers,

Anthony
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca>
wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2015, at 8:16 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca>
> wrote:
>

>> ... Playback at 1.1 or 1.2 times normal? None of these are
>> deal-breakers, but they are nice features of the native frontend.
>>

> The beta does 1.3, 2, 4, 6x playback. I can add more steps if that's
> interesting. I'm thinking about making that configurable.
>

> Thanks for all the info. The 1.1/1.2 speeds are useful for certain kinds
> of talk shows, documentaries, etc. Mythfrontend does some magic so the
> voices don’t sound like chipmunks.
>
> Another minor feature that I sometimes use in the frontend is stepping
> forward/back frame-by-frame when playback is paused. Most often when that
> message flashs up at the end of the Big Bang Theory and whatnot. I
> _wouldn’t_ use to see just much was exposed when there was a flash of
> (attractive) skin on the screen. Because, you know, that would be
> embarassing to admit! ;)
>
> Craig

My apologies to the OP, Hika, and Karl. I am not sure how this turned into
a US vs the world discussion. That was not my intent. We have clearly
miscommunicated.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
Hoi Tom,

Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 4:21:38 AM, you wrote:

> My apologies to the OP, Hika, and Karl. I am not sure how this turned into
> a US vs the world discussion. That was not my intent. We have clearly
> miscommunicated.

I'm fully convinced you did not intent to. But it happens in a group
where there are a lot of strong opinions, especially since we all on
occasion, me included, do not properly read before we react.
It only would get nasty if we no longer could speak our heart or if we
lost respect. ;-)

Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 8:19 PM Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca>
> wrote:
>

>> 1080i or 720p?
>>

> CPU utilization is about 65% for 1080i and 45% for 720p.
>

>> Which de-interlacer are you using? Do you offer de-interlacing options?
>>

> I'm currently using whatever libVLC uses by default. Looks like that might
> be Blender? I don't offer options currently. It looks like that wouldn't be
> too hard. I haven't noticed a problem with 1080i content.
>

>> Does your client mark recordings played automatically?
>>

> The beta version I sent out last night has a progress bar with each item
> in the recordings list, so you can see which have been watched. I see there
> is an API call to mark recordings watched on the backend. I'll add that
> this week.
>

>> Is the current playback position saved on exit so one can resume where we
>> left off?
>>

> Yes.
>

>> Just on your client or on Mythfrontend?
>>

> It's stored in iCloud, so it is synced across all your Apple TVs. I
> haven't found a way to store or retrieve playback positions with the
> Services API, so they are currently not synced with Mythfrontend.
>

>> Does your client offer commerical skipping?
>>

> Just 30-second skip and fast-forward. It doesn't use the commercial
> flagging data yet.
>

>> Playback at 1.1 or 1.2 times normal? None of these are deal-breakers,
>> but they are nice features of the native frontend.
>>

> The beta does 1.3, 2, 4, 6x playback. I can add more steps if that's
> interesting. I'm thinking about making that configurable.
>

>> Just for interest, what protocol do you use to connect to the backend?
>> The Services API?
>>

> Yes, the Services API.
>

>> Did you previously do an iOS client or is this brand new?
>>

> This is brand new.

Does it support 5.1 channel sound? I tried it and it defaulted to 2
channels. if I run Plex and watch something with 5.1 sound, I get it
there.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Anthony Giggins <seven@seven.dorksville.net
> wrote:

> is there any reason you wouldn't also release the app for iOS also or is
> there some technical reason (perhaps the smaller screen size or some other
> apple roadblock) given that Torc hasn't been updated in some time...

No technical reason or roadblocks. I just don't think I would personally
use it much. On the other hand, for years I've wished I had a MythTV app on
my Apple TV. Once I get the guide implemented it might be more interesting
on iOS.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
wrote:

>> Does your client mark recordings played automatically?
>>

> The beta version I sent out last night has a progress bar with each item
> in the recordings list, so you can see which have been watched. I see there
> is an API call to mark recordings watched on the backend. I'll add that
> this week.

It turns out that the API endpoint for marking recordings as watched is new
in 0.28, so that will have to wait for a bit.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:20 AM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
> wrote:
>

>>> Does your client mark recordings played automatically?
>>>

>> The beta version I sent out last night has a progress bar with each item
>> in the recordings list, so you can see which have been watched. I see there
>> is an API call to mark recordings watched on the backend. I'll add that
>> this week.
>>

> It turns out that the API endpoint for marking recordings as watched is
> new in 0.28, so that will have to wait for a bit.

Since there is no way to see the app info without an ATV, is there any
place a non-ATV owner can see screenshots?
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 7:04 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:

> Since there is no way to see the app info without an ATV, is there any
> place a non-ATV owner can see screenshots?

I haven't had time to build a web page for it yet, but you can see
screenshots here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q1bz3e25cil4mw6/AACJHGQ3BN8SOW9LSH3nAPhKa?dl=0
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Byron Poland <wpoland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it support 5.1 channel sound? I tried it and it defaulted to 2
> channels. if I run Plex and watch something with 5.1 sound, I get it
> there.

Good question. I'll look into that.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Byron Poland <wpoland@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Does it support 5.1 channel sound? I tried it and it defaulted to 2
>> channels. if I run Plex and watch something with 5.1 sound, I get it
>> there.
>>

> Good question. I'll look into that.

The design looks simple and clean. It is not overly fanart-ed, thank you!

Are you developing this on your own or are you looking to build a team?
Would you like feedback?
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
> Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and
> the like, who is creating their own MPEG2 content?

Anyone with a camcorder that records to MPEG2 directly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dvd+camcorder&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=dvd+camcorder&tbm=shop&spd=15835613938831293312

Stuff like this may be obsolete in our niche group, but some people
still use these things.

Eric
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:

> The design looks simple and clean. It is not overly fanart-ed, thank you!

Thanks.

> Are you developing this on your own or are you looking to build a team?
> Would you like feedback?

It's just me in my spare time. Are you interested in collaborating?
Feedback is welcome.
Re: Frontend for Apple TV 4 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists@whiteley.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
>

>> The design looks simple and clean. It is not overly fanart-ed, thank you!
>>

> Thanks.
>

>> Are you developing this on your own or are you looking to build a team?
>> Would you like feedback?
>>

> It's just me in my spare time. Are you interested in collaborating?
> Feedback is welcome.

Interested in collaboration - yes
Want to provide feedback - yes

Software development experience - yes
Mac for development - yes
ATV4 - no, not yet
MythTV backend - yes
Spare time for development - no, this is unlikely through the end of the
year

First, I need to get an ATV4 to help out in any way. Hopefully soon. Where
there is a will, there is a way.

-Tom

1 2 3 4  View All