<category> values match the special keywords 'movie', 'sports', 'series',
'tvshow'.

This is all well and good, but as far as I know, the program.category_type
column isn't presented in MythFrontend as a filter option. So what's the
point of this column if you can't search on it?

I'm thinking of running a script after mythfilldatabase which sets
program.category='movie' where program.category_type='movie'. Is this a
sensible idea, or flawed?
Re: Using program.category_type column to find movies [ In reply to ]
On 24/11/14 10:20, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I've been looking at how I can easily identify which of my recordings are
> movies when using MythFrontend. In Australia, the program data seems to end
> up with programs with a program.category column of eg Comedy, Drama,
> Western etc, and a program.category_type column of Movie.
>
> I believe the program.category_type column is populated by
> mythfilldatabase looking at the <category> field in the xml file and
> setting the 'category_type' column if the first, second or more xml file
> <category> values match the special keywords 'movie', 'sports', 'series',
> 'tvshow'.
>
> This is all well and good, but as far as I know, the program.category_type
> column isn't presented in MythFrontend as a filter option. So what's the
> point of this column if you can't search on it?
>
> I'm thinking of running a script after mythfilldatabase which sets
> program.category='movie' where program.category_type='movie'. Is this a
> sensible idea, or flawed?

I take a simple and blunt approach to this problem. Whenever I find a movie I
want to record I select a recording group of 'Movie' when I set up the rule and
then I know I can find it, however it has been categorised.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Using program.category_type column to find movies [ In reply to ]
On 11/24/2014 05:20 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I've been looking at how I can easily identify which of my recordings
> are movies when using MythFrontend. In Australia, the program data
> seems to end up with programs with a program.category column of eg
> Comedy, Drama, Western etc, and a program.category_type column of Movie.
>
> I believe the program.category_type column is populated by
> mythfilldatabase looking at the <category> field in the xml file and
> setting the 'category_type' column if the first, second or more xml
> file <category> values match the special keywords 'movie', 'sports',
> 'series', 'tvshow'.
>
> This is all well and good, but as far as I know, the
> program.category_type column isn't presented in MythFrontend as a
> filter option. So what's the point of this column if you can't search
> on it?
>
> I'm thinking of running a script after mythfilldatabase which sets
> program.category='movie' where program.category_type='movie'. Is this
> a sensible idea, or flawed?

If you mean for the purposes of recording or finding movies to record,
there's no need. You can use category_type.

The easiest way to find a list of all the upcoming movies is to go to
Manage Recordings|Schedule Recordings|Search Lists and then choose
Movies. You can then set a filter on star ratings (or choose All).

If you want a generic rule that records a bunch of movies, you can
create a Power/Custom recording rule based off category_type. One of
the Sample Clauses shown in the editor (Manage Recordings|Schedule
Recordings|Custom Record is "Category type ('movie', 'series', 'sports'
or 'tvshow')" and another is "Limit movies by the year of release". You
can use either of those clauses along with any other (such as "Minimum
star rating (0.0 to 1.0 for movies only)") to specify which movies to
record. Both clauses are based on category_type.

If you mean filtering on category_type in Watch Recordings, you can't do
that--you should use recording groups as Mike P mentioned.

Mike
Re: Using program.category_type column to find movies [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 11/24/2014 05:20 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at how I can easily identify which of my recordings are
>> movies when using MythFrontend. In Australia, the program data seems to end
>> up with programs with a program.category column of eg Comedy, Drama,
>> Western etc, and a program.category_type column of Movie.
>>
>> I believe the program.category_type column is populated by
>> mythfilldatabase looking at the <category> field in the xml file and
>> setting the 'category_type' column if the first, second or more xml file
>> <category> values match the special keywords 'movie', 'sports', 'series',
>> 'tvshow'.
>>
>> This is all well and good, but as far as I know, the
>> program.category_type column isn't presented in MythFrontend as a filter
>> option. So what's the point of this column if you can't search on it?
>>
>> I'm thinking of running a script after mythfilldatabase which sets
>> program.category='movie' where program.category_type='movie'. Is this a
>> sensible idea, or flawed?
>>

> If you mean for the purposes of recording or finding movies to record,
> there's no need. You can use category_type.
>
> The easiest way to find a list of all the upcoming movies is to go to
> Manage Recordings|Schedule Recordings|Search Lists and then choose Movies.
> You can then set a filter on star ratings (or choose All).
>
> If you want a generic rule that records a bunch of movies, you can create
> a Power/Custom recording rule based off category_type. One of the Sample
> Clauses shown in the editor (Manage Recordings|Schedule Recordings|Custom
> Record is "Category type ('movie', 'series', 'sports' or 'tvshow')" and
> another is "Limit movies by the year of release". You can use either of
> those clauses along with any other (such as "Minimum star rating (0.0 to
> 1.0 for movies only)") to specify which movies to record. Both clauses are
> based on category_type.
>
> If you mean filtering on category_type in Watch Recordings, you can't do
> that--you should use recording groups as Mike P mentioned.
>
> Mike

I think the option he is looking for is a Movie template.

Go to the Manage Recording Rules screen. M > New Template. The name should
match what you commonly have for category/category_type, but is not
case-sensitive (I use "Movie"). In the Storage Options, add it to a new
Movie recording group.

Assign the TV Frontend/PAGERIGHT key (Setup > Edit Keys) to something on
your remote for toggling between default, movie, etc. I think all themes
support this. Otherwise, just use the M>M>Change Group Filter Option in the
recordings screen.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/71c65b

Frank
Re: Using program.category_type column to find movies [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> I take a simple and blunt approach to this problem. Whenever I find a
> movie I want to record I select a recording group of 'Movie' when I set up
> the rule and then I know I can find it, however it has been categorised.

You would also benefit from creating a movie template. All future movies
you select to record would automatically be put into the movie recgroup
because they are matching on category_type and the rules for them are being
based on the template.

Also, you can change existing recordings recgroup with M>Storage Options.
Re: Using program.category_type column to find movies [ In reply to ]
On Nov 24, 2014, at 6:53 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> If you mean filtering on category_type in Watch Recordings, you can't do that--you should use recording groups as Mike P mentioned.

This would be a great use for the tagging functionality that you've mentioned. What is the status of that?

- George
Re: Using program.category_type column to find movies [ In reply to ]

> I think the option he is looking for is a Movie template.
>>

> Go to the Manage Recording Rules screen. M > New Template. The name should
> match what you commonly have for category/category_type, but is not
> case-sensitive (I use "Movie"). In the Storage Options, add it to a new
> Movie recording group.
>
> Assign the TV Frontend/PAGERIGHT key (Setup > Edit Keys) to something on
> your remote for toggling between default, movie, etc. I think all themes
> support this. Otherwise, just use the M>M>Change Group Filter Option in the
> recordings screen.

Superb - thank you! This is a great option that I wasn't aware of. What a
great piece of functionality. MythTV really does rock, doesn't it!
Thanks again.