Mailing List Archive

fire tv stick for 19.99
Amazon has preorder of fire tv sticks for 19.99 for next two days. This
seems like great mythtv frontend at least with xbmc.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
>> Amazon has preorder of fire tv sticks

For Amazon Prime members.

Doug
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
Feature set seems similar to chromecast, hopefully it doesn't get
gimped into the Amazon ecosystem.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
It seems much more capable than chromecast and maybe mythtv front end will
be ported to it or at least xbmc.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
Does this stick support Android apps? There are a couple mythtv frontend
apps which could be interesting.

Does the Fire TV stick support MPEG2? For us in the U.S., that's pretty
necessary.

Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this stick support Android apps?

It should (it is based on the fire TV device), but
it likely only uses the Amazon appstore marketplace,
so you may need to sideload.

> Does the Fire TV stick support MPEG2?

The *hardware* supports mpeg2. Whether
that is licensed on the stick, and how that is
made available to the apps (if at all) is unknown
since mpeg2 decoding has not been part of the
previous media player APIs. In the Amazon
world, there is a special API via a proprietary
(licensable) software stack that I think may
implement MPEG2 decoding along with some
DRM capabilities that is required for HDCP
enforcement.

Likely that some software that does not bother
to respect the MPEG-LA license could just access
the hardware directly and gain access to the
decoder functionality.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Does this stick support Android apps?
>
> It should (it is based on the fire TV device), but
> it likely only uses the Amazon appstore marketplace,
> so you may need to sideload.
>
> > Does the Fire TV stick support MPEG2?
>
> The *hardware* supports mpeg2. Whether
> that is licensed on the stick, and how that is
> made available to the apps (if at all) is unknown
> since mpeg2 decoding has not been part of the
> previous media player APIs. In the Amazon
> world, there is a special API via a proprietary
> (licensable) software stack that I think may
> implement MPEG2 decoding along with some
> DRM capabilities that is required for HDCP
> enforcement.
>
> Likely that some software that does not bother
> to respect the MPEG-LA license could just access
> the hardware directly and gain access to the
> decoder functionality.

Uggh. So close yet so far. Maybe the Android TV devices will finally
provide a good MPEG2 platform.

Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <
> gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Does this stick support Android apps?
>>
>> It should (it is based on the fire TV device), but
>> it likely only uses the Amazon appstore marketplace,
>> so you may need to sideload.
>>
>> > Does the Fire TV stick support MPEG2?
>>
>> The *hardware* supports mpeg2. Whether
>> that is licensed on the stick, and how that is
>> made available to the apps (if at all) is unknown
>> since mpeg2 decoding has not been part of the
>> previous media player APIs. In the Amazon
>> world, there is a special API via a proprietary
>> (licensable) software stack that I think may
>> implement MPEG2 decoding along with some
>> DRM capabilities that is required for HDCP
>> enforcement.
>>
>> Likely that some software that does not bother
>> to respect the MPEG-LA license could just access
>> the hardware directly and gain access to the
>> decoder functionality.
>>

> Uggh. So close yet so far. Maybe the Android TV devices will finally
> provide a good MPEG2 platform.

Or we will get lucky and the cables cos will phase out MPEG2. We can only
dream.

-Tom
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
> Or we will get lucky and the cables cos will phase out MPEG2. We can only
> dream.

It will happen. Eventually. So that you can receive even
more shopping channels to fill the "dial" (one can never
have too many shopping channels).

I recall a rumor is that there is at least one small cable
provider that did H.264 only. And Comcast is trialing H.264
only in a test market (before rolling it out nationwide).

And almost all of the stunt 3D programming from a few years
ago was H.264 due to bandwidth requirements. "4K" will
be the same.

The issue is (mostly) deployed customer equipment. Early
gen STBs and 1st gen DTAs were MPEG2 only(*). Replacing
all of that equipment is expensive (not just for the STBs
themselves, but the consumer interactions). Over time a
lot of that equipment gets swapped out (and at least
some MSOs never hand out some device types again), so
the cost of consumer interactions does go down if you
wait long enough. While there is HE encoding equipment
costs, most newer encoders have H.264 (at least as an
option).

Note that some MSOs broadcast the "premiums" in H.264
(since the premiums required more advanced STBs anyway,
there was no specific downside, and the quality could be
better)

So, the day will come. Probably right before H.265
starts to take over and everyone asks why the cable cos
are not broadcasting in H.265 rather than the obsolete
H.264.

Gary

(*) And some consumer owned equipment (TiVo)
does not currently support H.264 (and I think some
of the older TiVo devices cannot be upgraded).
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
>> Or we will get lucky and the cables cos will phase out MPEG2. We can only
>> dream.
>
> It will happen. Eventually.

Probably worth it to note that the US OTA ATSC
(not ATSC itself, the US standard) requires MPEG-2.
There are some that would like to extend that
(actually, last I recall, skipping H.264 and moving
to H.265), but backward compatibility with existing
TVs in millions of homes that cannot do H.26x,
and a viable transition plan (no one in the US wants
another flag day as occurred with the digital
transition) means it is some ways off. So MPEG-2
is with US for a meaningful number of households.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:

> Or we will get lucky and the cables cos will phase out MPEG2. We can only
> dream.

Wouldn't it be possible to put some sort of real-time H.264 encoder into
MythTV? Obviously you'd need some horsepower to handle the task, but from
an oldish thread on the SiliconDust forums it looks like it could be done
via FFMPEG. http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14612
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be possible to put some sort of real-time H.264 encoder into
> MythTV?

You mean, like the existing HLS streamer?

Of course, if what you mean is a full front-end experience
while transcoding, that is more complicated, but I look
forward to your patches!
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Of course, if what you mean is a full front-end experience
> while transcoding, that is more complicated, but I look
> forward to your patches!

I barely know how to use MythTV, let alone code for it.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 04:47:20PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr@bongohut.com> wrote:
> >> Or we will get lucky and the cables cos will phase out MPEG2. We can only
> >> dream.
> >
> > It will happen. Eventually.
>
> Probably worth it to note that the US OTA ATSC
> (not ATSC itself, the US standard) requires MPEG-2.
> There are some that would like to extend that
> (actually, last I recall, skipping H.264 and moving
> to H.265), but backward compatibility with existing
> TVs in millions of homes that cannot do H.26x,
> and a viable transition plan (no one in the US wants
> another flag day as occurred with the digital
> transition) means it is some ways off. So MPEG-2
> is with US for a meaningful number of households.

Actually the ATSC spec was expanded in 2008 to include H.264.
ATSC Standard A/72 part1:2008

I suspect the issue with implementing it is all the people who had
just recently swapped out sets for MPEG2 only capable devices.
The above standard makes a reference to this in the introduction.

Pat
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM, jacek burghardt
<jaceksburghardt@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems much more capable than chromecast and maybe mythtv front end will
> be ported to it or at least xbmc.

I don't know whether the fire tv stick is different to the fire tv STB
(which is $100). However the STB has proved a capable XBMC machine, if
you take into account the limitations of Android (no HD audio, no auto
frame rate switching, no decent deinterlacing). You have to root or
sideload, and recent shipping versions have defeated the root method.
However sideloading still works. You can also use android apps like
NetFlix etc. Of course once you have XBMC you have a mythtv frontend
of sorts, although see above re deinterlacing. There are mixed reports
of mpeg2 abilities.

Its not for me, but many people love them.

If the stick can be used the same way, $20 is a very significant price
point, although does the stick have a wired ethernet port?
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM, jacek burghardt
> <jaceksburghardt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems much more capable than chromecast and maybe mythtv front end will
>> be ported to it or at least xbmc.
>
> I don't know whether the fire tv stick is different to the fire tv STB
> (which is $100). However the STB has proved a capable XBMC machine, if
> you take into account the limitations of Android (no HD audio, no auto
> frame rate switching, no decent deinterlacing). You have to root or
> sideload, and recent shipping versions have defeated the root method.
> However sideloading still works. You can also use android apps like
> NetFlix etc. Of course once you have XBMC you have a mythtv frontend
> of sorts, although see above re deinterlacing. There are mixed reports
> of mpeg2 abilities.
>
> Its not for me, but many people love them.
>
> If the stick can be used the same way, $20 is a very significant price
> point, although does the stick have a wired ethernet port?

LOL it does crack me up that we are now getting media devices's like
this stick where the remote control is bigger than the computer!
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
> does the stick have a wired ethernet port?

No. Wifi only.

Eric
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't know whether the fire tv stick is different to the fire tv STB
> > (which is $100). However the STB has proved a capable XBMC machine, if
> > you take into account the limitations of Android (no HD audio, no auto
> > frame rate switching, no decent deinterlacing). You have to root or
> > sideload, and recent shipping versions have defeated the root method.
> > However sideloading still works. You can also use android apps like
> > NetFlix etc. Of course once you have XBMC you have a mythtv frontend
> > of sorts, although see above re deinterlacing. There are mixed reports
> > of mpeg2 abilities.

Plex is already released for the FIreTV. You can use the MythTV Plex
channel to connect to and view recordings (and it will auto-transcode when
remote), though the interface is clunky. I had Plex indexing all my
recordings via Symlinks created by Mythlink.pl with metadata and it worked
pretty well for a while, but broke a while ago and I'm not sure why. If I
spent a weekend banging on it I'd be able to get it back in shape I think.

My FireTV stick arrives December 3rd so I'll be sure to report back.

> > Its not for me, but many people love them.
> >
> > If the stick can be used the same way, $20 is a very significant price
> > point, although does the stick have a wired ethernet port?
>
> LOL it does crack me up that we are now getting media devices's like
> this stick where the remote control is bigger than the computer!

It's crazier than you think - I ordered a quad core Atom
PC-on-an-HDMI-stick from China last week. Should be here in a couple weeks
and I'm going to attempt to load MythBuntu on it. It allegedly can run a
full desktop OS.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>> does the stick have a wired ethernet port?
>
> No. Wifi only.

Dual band, MIMO (as with the Fire TV) so, for some
RF environments, it may be a viable choice (and not
so much for others).

There was some conjecture that the "power only"
micro-USB port might be able to be used for an
external Ethernet adapter with appropriate modifications,
but first a few devices have to get in the hands of
the usual suspects.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > I don't know whether the fire tv stick is different to the fire tv STB
>> > (which is $100). However the STB has proved a capable XBMC machine, if
>> > you take into account the limitations of Android (no HD audio, no auto
>> > frame rate switching, no decent deinterlacing). You have to root or
>> > sideload, and recent shipping versions have defeated the root method.
>> > However sideloading still works. You can also use android apps like
>> > NetFlix etc. Of course once you have XBMC you have a mythtv frontend
>> > of sorts, although see above re deinterlacing. There are mixed reports
>> > of mpeg2 abilities.
>>

> Plex is already released for the FIreTV. You can use the MythTV Plex
> channel to connect to and view recordings (and it will auto-transcode when
> remote), though the interface is clunky. I had Plex indexing all my
> recordings via Symlinks created by Mythlink.pl with metadata and it worked
> pretty well for a while, but broke a while ago and I'm not sure why. If I
> spent a weekend banging on it I'd be able to get it back in shape I think.
>
> My FireTV stick arrives December 3rd so I'll be sure to report back.
>

>> > Its not for me, but many people love them.
>> >
>> > If the stick can be used the same way, $20 is a very significant price
>> > point, although does the stick have a wired ethernet port?
>>
>> LOL it does crack me up that we are now getting media devices's like
>> this stick where the remote control is bigger than the computer!
>>

> It's crazier than you think - I ordered a quad core Atom
> PC-on-an-HDMI-stick from China last week. Should be here in a couple weeks
> and I'm going to attempt to load MythBuntu on it. It allegedly can run a
> full desktop OS.

I was just checking those out too. Please let us know how it goes for you.
I was holding off to compare these to the similar hardware of the Google
Nexus Player (also quad Atom).

Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Plex is already released for the FIreTV. You can use the MythTV Plex
>> channel to connect to and view recordings (and it will auto-transcode when
>> remote), though the interface is clunky. I had Plex indexing all my
>> recordings via Symlinks created by Mythlink.pl with metadata and it worked
>> pretty well for a while, but broke a while ago and I'm not sure why. If I
>> spent a weekend banging on it I'd be able to get it back in shape I think.
>>
>> My FireTV stick arrives December 3rd so I'll be sure to report back.

>>> LOL it does crack me up that we are now getting media devices's like
>>> this stick where the remote control is bigger than the computer!
>>>

>> It's crazier than you think - I ordered a quad core Atom
>> PC-on-an-HDMI-stick from China last week. Should be here in a couple weeks
>> and I'm going to attempt to load MythBuntu on it. It allegedly can run a
>> full desktop OS.
>>

> I was just checking those out too. Please let us know how it goes for
> you. I was holding off to compare these to the similar hardware of the
> Google Nexus Player (also quad Atom).

I will. I even bought sticktv.org because hey, why not. The issue with the
Nexus Player and all the other purpose-built boxes is that they're probably
built at a loss, so they're tied to their platform and won't let you load
your own OS onto them. If this little Atom stick works well and gets to
the $99 mark it really will be something special.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL it does crack me up that we are now getting media devices's like
> this stick where the remote control is bigger than the computer!

It is a limitation of the human body in the current release.
People seem to need buttons big enough to see and push.

Perhaps an epoxied rice sized NFC device with MEMS
accelerometers could be injected under your skin. You would
just need to wave your hands vigorously (some individuals
might have trouble talking and watching TV at the same time).
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 5:49 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Plex is already released for the FIreTV. You can use the MythTV Plex
>> channel to connect to and view recordings (and it will auto-transcode when
>> remote), though the interface is clunky. I had Plex indexing all my
>> recordings via Symlinks created by Mythlink.pl with metadata and it worked
>> pretty well for a while, but broke a while ago and I'm not sure why. If I
>> spent a weekend banging on it I'd be able to get it back in shape I think.
>>
>> My FireTV stick arrives December 3rd so I'll be sure to report back.

>>> LOL it does crack me up that we are now getting media devices's like
>>> this stick where the remote control is bigger than the computer!
>>>

>> It's crazier than you think - I ordered a quad core Atom
>> PC-on-an-HDMI-stick from China last week. Should be here in a couple weeks
>> and I'm going to attempt to load MythBuntu on it. It allegedly can run a
>> full desktop OS.
>

> I was just checking those out too. Please let us know how it goes for you.
> I was holding off to compare these to the similar hardware of the Google
> Nexus Player (also quad Atom).

I ordered one (I think we are talking about the same device) and am waiting...
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
I just received my firestick and installed xbmc and it works fine with
mythtv
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/2014 03:47 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> I just received my firestick and installed xbmc and it works fine with
> mythtv

How do you use it? I tried the mythbox add-on, which fails for lack of
access to tmp directories?