Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km@mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:

> On 11/26/2014 03:47 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
>
>> I just received my firestick and installed xbmc and it works fine with
>> mythtv
>>

> How do you use it? I tried the mythbox add-on, which fails for lack of
> access to tmp directories?

Got mine last night. I didn't realize you could install XBMC on it; I'll
have to try that.

I installed the Plex app and was surprised to see that my MythTV channel
came across (It doesn't show up in Windows 8 or Xbox One). It defaulted to
the lowest quality setting and was awful. I mucked around and got it
running pretty smoothly with the 12mb/sec setting.

I'll have to research where the bottleneck is - I assume it's my wifi - But
playback of 1080i recordings at that 12mb/sec setting works really well so
far.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On 11/26/2014 3:23 PM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> On 11/26/2014 03:47 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
>> I just received my firestick and installed xbmc and it works fine with
>> mythtv
>
> How do you use it? I tried the mythbox add-on, which fails for lack of
> access to tmp directories?

Mythbox is old. Kodi (nee XBMC) now has a unified PVR architecture and
thus a new plugin was created.

In System->Add-Ons->PVR Clients there's a cmyth-based add-on to
integrate MythTV into Kodi. Install it and configure it with your mysql
credentials. You also have to go to System Settings->Live TV to enable
PVR functionality, then you'll get a Live TV main menu option. (If you
aren't using the default theme the menu layout may be different than
what I described.)

Alternatively, there's a new Services API-based version:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198833

Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was some conjecture that the "power only"
> micro-USB port might be able to be used for an
> external Ethernet adapter with appropriate modifications,
> but first a few devices have to get in the hands of
> the usual suspects.

The "usual suspects" (i.e. the posts of a few early
adopters) have reported that an USB-OTG adapter
and a USB Ethernet dongle can be made to work.
No details of any specific models (if it matters) and
no reports of performance. But it apparently does
work for some people.
Re: fire tv stick for 19.99 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM, jacek burghardt
<jaceksburghardt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just received my firestick and installed xbmc and it works fine with
> mythtv

I got mine today, fast little device, good response speeds, plays mpeg
(vc1) streams - although it drops down to 720p for some unknown
reason.

That aside, I want to try pushing the MythTV Android Frontend apk to
it (url: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mythtv&hl=en)
- does anyone have the .apk handy?