front end) I am using a combined FE/BE 0.27 fixes within a Ubuntu12.04
lts desktop.

Daryl
Re: deleting files [ In reply to ]
On 11/05/2013 10:17 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Greetings Mythizens, Am I correct in assuming that files that I have
> deleted through the front end will be deleted by the back end first
> when the 750 Gb partition fills up? (before files not deleted in the
> front end) I am using a combined FE/BE 0.27 fixes within a Ubuntu12.04
> lts desktop.

Short Live TV recordings (<2min) are automatically deleted
"immediately," as created (to get rid of garbage caused by channel
surfing). Other than that, MythTV tries to keep recordings around under
the "unused space is wasted space" ideal.

When you delete a recording, it will be placed into the Deleted
recording group. By default, shows that are deleted to the Deleted
recording group will be removed from the file system "soon" (allowing
you a short period during which to change your mind). However, you may
tell MythTV to keep those Deleted recordings for any number of days from
1 to 365, or "forever" (by specifying -1).

Then, when a file system fills up *and* MythTV is recording a new show
to that file system, it will start to expire old recordings. First to
be expired are Live TV recordings. After those are all gone, recordings
in the Deleted recording group will be expired (even if they are newer
than the "Time to retain deleted recordings (days)" setting). Once all
Deleted recordings are gone, recordings that are not Deleted are
expired. If you've enabled the "Watched before unwatched" setting ("If
enabled, programs that have been marked as watched will be expired
before programs that have not been watched."), then any recordings (on
that file system) that are marked as Watched will be deleted before any
recording that's not marked as Watched, regardless of auto-expiration
priority. Note, also, that you can specify the Auto-Expire method to
choose the rules by which the order for expiration will be chosen.

So, it's critical to remember that only those recordings on the file
system in use are eligible for expiration, so if you have multiple file
systems and your recordings are not well balanced across file systems
(in terms of space usage and Deleted/not-Deleted and Watched/not-Watched
and various Auto-Expire priorities), you could lose some recording
that's more important to you than others that aren't expired.

So, in the end, if you care about the order things are removed, you
should manually remove recordings to make room on all your file systems
for new recordings rather than rely on MythTV to try to guess the right
order. You may go into the System Status screen in mythfrontend and
select Auto-Expire Order and see the "priority" order for expiration.
Then, simply select to delete the recordings you care least about (using
MENU, by default "M").

Mike
Re: deleting files [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean@thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/05/2013 10:17 AM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>> Greetings Mythizens, Am I correct in assuming that files that I have
>> deleted through the front end will be deleted by the back end first
>> when the 750 Gb partition fills up? (before files not deleted in the
>> front end) I am using a combined FE/BE 0.27 fixes within a Ubuntu12.04
>> lts desktop.
>

> Short Live TV recordings (<2min) are automatically deleted "immediately," as
> created (to get rid of garbage caused by channel surfing). Other than that,
> MythTV tries to keep recordings around under the "unused space is wasted
> space" ideal.
>
> When you delete a recording, it will be placed into the Deleted recording
> group. By default, shows that are deleted to the Deleted recording group
> will be removed from the file system "soon" (allowing you a short period
> during which to change your mind). However, you may tell MythTV to keep
> those Deleted recordings for any number of days from 1 to 365, or "forever"
> (by specifying -1).
>
> Then, when a file system fills up *and* MythTV is recording a new show to
> that file system, it will start to expire old recordings. First to be
> expired are Live TV recordings. After those are all gone, recordings in the
> Deleted recording group will be expired (even if they are newer than the
> "Time to retain deleted recordings (days)" setting). Once all Deleted
> recordings are gone, recordings that are not Deleted are expired. If you've
> enabled the "Watched before unwatched" setting ("If enabled, programs that
> have been marked as watched will be expired before programs that have not
> been watched."), then any recordings (on that file system) that are marked
> as Watched will be deleted before any recording that's not marked as
> Watched, regardless of auto-expiration priority. Note, also, that you can
> specify the Auto-Expire method to choose the rules by which the order for
> expiration will be chosen.
>
> So, it's critical to remember that only those recordings on the file system
> in use are eligible for expiration, so if you have multiple file systems and
> your recordings are not well balanced across file systems (in terms of
> space usage and Deleted/not-Deleted and Watched/not-Watched and various
> Auto-Expire priorities), you could lose some recording that's more important
> to you than others that aren't expired.
>
> So, in the end, if you care about the order things are removed, you should
> manually remove recordings to make room on all your file systems for new
> recordings rather than rely on MythTV to try to guess the right order. You
> may go into the System Status screen in mythfrontend and select Auto-Expire
> Order and see the "priority" order for expiration. Then, simply select to
> delete the recordings you care least about (using MENU, by default "M").
>
> Mike

thanks Michael, reading the list ans watching my one and only
filesystem's free space reduce to the low 20's(%) made me realize that
I better do something.