Mailing List Archive

subtitles not available for videos
Hi, sometime in the last few weeks it seems like the frontend has stopped showing subtitles for videos. My last good build was from June 23 while my first problematic one was July 9. The playback popup menu doesn’t show a subtitles entry even though srt files are present. It doesn’t even look like the right menu, there is a Source subenu the way there is for recordings which I don’t recall before ‘tho I could be wrong.

For some reason I couldn’t bisect and ran out of time before I figured it out, I won’t be able to look again until next week but I mention it here in case someone knowledgable wants to take a look. I think the livetv subtitle change happened in between those dates so that would definitely be a prime suspect.

- George
Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
George Nassas wrote:
> My last good build was from June 23 while my first problematic one was July 9. The playback popup menu doesn’t show a subtitles entry even though srt files are present. It doesn’t even look like the right menu, there is a Source subenu the way there is for recordings which I don’t recall before ‘tho I could be wrong.

My last build was July 7th and the 1 .mkv video that I still have with
an .SRT is showing fine.

mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v0.26.0-212-gcb02cec-dirty
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
Network Protocol : 75
Library API : 0.26.20130225-1
QT Version : 4.8.4

Doug

--
Ben Franklin quote:

Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
On 2013-07-11, at 3:45 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:

> MythTV Version : v0.26.0-212-gcb02cec-dirty
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26

I’m on master / trunk / pre0.27 where all the breakage happens so it makes sense that you're OK.

- George
Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
On Jul 11, 2013 7:39 AM, "George Nassas" <gnassas@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi, sometime in the last few weeks it seems like the frontend has stopped
showing subtitles for videos. My last good build was from June 23 while my
first problematic one was July 9. The playback popup menu doesn’t show a
subtitles entry even though srt files are present. It doesn’t even look
like the right menu, there is a Source subenu the way there is for
recordings which I don’t recall before ‘tho I could be wrong.

> For some reason I couldn’t bisect and ran out of time before I figured it
out, I won’t be able to look again until next week but I mention it here in
case someone knowledgable wants to take a look. I think the livetv subtitle
change happened in between those dates so that would definitely be a prime
suspect.

I haven't noticed that, but I'll have a closer look next week when I'm back
from vacation. FWIW, the Source menu showing up would be an artifact of the
Themed Menu changes.

Jim
Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
> I haven't noticed that, but I'll have a closer look next week when I'm
> back from vacation. FWIW, the Source menu showing up would be an
> artifact of the Themed Menu changes.
>
> Jim

I'm on latest master (v0.27-pre2-1767-g6749fee-dirty) and I can also confirm that
.srt subs are not shown for videos. Subs embedded in .mkv files show ok, only the
external are affected. Should I open a ticket?

Enjoy your vacation,

Yianni
Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Yianni Vidalis
<yiannividalis@hotmail.com>wrote:

> > I haven't noticed that, but I'll have a closer look next week when I'm
> > back from vacation. FWIW, the Source menu showing up would be an
> > artifact of the Themed Menu changes.
>
> I'm on latest master (v0.27-pre2-1767-g6749fee-dirty) and I can also
> confirm that
> .srt subs are not shown for videos. Subs embedded in .mkv files show ok,
> only the
> external are affected. Should I open a ticket?

I haven't been able to reproduce this .srt file failure, for .mkv files or
other video types. So please do open a ticket, and include the frontend
log for "-v playback,network,vbi". And if anyone can bisect to find the
specific commit, that would be extra helpful.

Jim
Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
> I haven't been able to reproduce this .srt file failure, for .mkv files
> or other video types. So please do open a ticket, and include the
> frontend log for "-v playback,network,vbi". And if anyone can bisect
> to find the specific commit, that would be extra helpful.
>
> Jim

Done, there is a brand new ticket #11682 waiting, with commit feb2e0fae2dc7e
as the culprit, AFAICT.

Now I have to restore my db to its current version before tonight's recordings commence...

Best regards,

Yianni.
Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Yianni Vidalis
<yiannividalis@hotmail.com>wrote:

> > I haven't been able to reproduce this .srt file failure, for .mkv files
> > or other video types. So please do open a ticket, and include the
> > frontend log for "-v playback,network,vbi". And if anyone can bisect
> > to find the specific commit, that would be extra helpful.
> >
> > Jim
>
> Done, there is a brand new ticket #11682 waiting, with commit
> feb2e0fae2dc7e
> as the culprit, AFAICT.
>
> Thanks for the debugging info. The problem is that the RemoteFile class
doesn't seem to like it when the file is actually local, which why I didn't
notice the problem with a separate FE/BE configuration.

Jim
Re: subtitles not available for videos [ In reply to ]
> Thanks for the debugging info. The problem is that the RemoteFile
> class doesn't seem to like it when the file is actually local, which
> why I didn't notice the problem with a separate FE/BE configuration.
>
> Jim

Yeah, they don't make class like they used to!

I can confirm it's fixed, thanks for your quick response.

Best regards,

Yianni.