was not the problem but it was at least one avenue to test before coming
here.

I know that somebody is going to want particulars on the recording but
I'm not sure what's the best way to examine that? mplayer -v output or
something else?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I have two FEs both on the same version of master
> (v0.25-beta-99-gff73126) and while one (an ION) plays a certain h264
> video just fine, a GeForce 210 machine stutters really badly.
>
> A frontend log with playback,audio debugging in it can be found at
> http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/mythfrontend.20120327140714.13023.log.  The
> last thing the log (i.e. starting at line 3718) is reporting playback of
> is this troublesome file with the VDPAU Slim profile, since I had
> assumed at some point that I was simply trying to over drive the
> capabilities of this card.
>
> The recording itself is only 704x360 so I'd really hope that overdriving
> was not the problem but it was at least one avenue to test before coming
> here.
>
> I know that somebody is going to want particulars on the recording but
> I'm not sure what's the best way to examine that?  mplayer -v output or
> something else?

Not sure about your particular problem, but just so you know, I've got
2 frontends with GeForce 210's using the VDPAU Normal profile, and
they work just fine on everything from analog SD captures (not sure
what res...480i perhaps?) up to 1080i broadcast and 1080p bluray rips.
Other than the highest quality deinterlacer (2x advanced) the 210 can
handle everything else.

--
Ron Frazier
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 04:02 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> Not sure about your particular problem, but just so you know, I've got
> 2 frontends with GeForce 210's using the VDPAU Normal profile, and
> they work just fine on everything from analog SD captures (not sure
> what res...480i perhaps?) up to 1080i broadcast and 1080p bluray rips.
> Other than the highest quality deinterlacer (2x advanced) the 210 can
> handle everything else.

Exactly! I'd expect this 210 to handle this h264 without breaking a
sweat. Unfortunately theory is not meeting reality. :-(

I'm hoping the frontend log is meaningful to somebody.

b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Exactly! I'd expect this 210 to handle this h264 without breaking a
> sweat. Unfortunately theory is not meeting reality.

And you're running the just recently released nVidia drivers? It makes
mention of fixing H264 and VDPAU.

Doug

--
Ben Franklin quote:

Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 04:09 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:

> And you're running the just recently released nVidia drivers? It makes
> mention of fixing H264 and VDPAU.

Ahhh. Good point. A data item I left out. It's moot however. Both
machines are running 270.41.06.

Cheers,
b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 28 March 2012 06:17, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I have two FEs both on the same version of master
> (v0.25-beta-99-gff73126) and while one (an ION) plays a certain h264
> video just fine, a GeForce 210 machine stutters really badly.
>
> A frontend log with playback,audio debugging in it can be found at
> http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/mythfrontend.20120327140714.13023.log.  The
> last thing the log (i.e. starting at line 3718) is reporting playback of
> is this troublesome file with the VDPAU Slim profile, since I had
> assumed at some point that I was simply trying to over drive the
> capabilities of this card.
>
> The recording itself is only 704x360 so I'd really hope that overdriving
> was not the problem but it was at least one avenue to test before coming
> here.

Are you using an AMD processor? If so, try upping the minimum
frequency to something > 1.8GHz

In the log, I saw no use of the VDPAU slim profile, it is currently
set to VDPAU Normal ; try the slim profile. Having said that, Normal
should be enough for the 210.

Jean-Yves
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 05:27 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Are you using an AMD processor?

Yes:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 95
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2199.657
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm
3dnowext 3dnow up extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips : 4399.31
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

> If so, try upping the minimum
> frequency to something > 1.8GHz

How do I manage the frequency of a "desktop" CPU?

> In the log, I saw no use of the VDPAU slim profile, it is currently
> set to VDPAU Normal ;

Where do you see report of the profile? Is it the:

2012-03-27 15:06:52.420290 I [13023/13023] CoreContext
videodisplayprofile.cpp:237 (VideoDisplayProfile) - VDP: Accepting:
cmp(> 0 0) dec(vdpau) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(vdpau) osd(vdpau)
osdfade(enabled) deint(vdpaubobdeint,vdpauonefield)
filt(vdpauskipchroma,vdpaucolorspace=auto)

line that tells you? It's interesting since I just checked again and I
do actually have VDPAU Slim selected. Here's a screenshot:

http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/Screenshot%20of%20pvr-lr:0.png

and the details of that profile:

http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/Screenshot%20of%20pvr-lr:0-details1.png
http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/Screenshot%20of%20pvr-lr:0-details2.png

> try the slim profile.

As you can see, I did. I even did a new playback run. The log at
http://brian.interlinx.bc.ca/mythfrontend.20120327140714.13023.log
has been updated and the new run starts at 2012-03-27 18:47:00.306640

> Having said that, Normal
> should be enough for the 210.

I would think so too.

b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 28 March 2012 09:52, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On 12-03-27 05:27 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>
>> Are you using an AMD processor?
>
> Yes:

So it's most likely your problem.

If you haven't done anything to control the CPU frequency, it's a very
common thing happening on AMD system using VDPAU

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#CPU_Frequency_Scaling

> Where do you see report of the profile?  Is it the:

Just looking at what profiles was in use in the component...
using Advanced 2X for SD and Temporal 2X for HD
that's the VDPAU Normal profile
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 07:07 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#CPU_Frequency_Scaling

OK. I don't even have a cpufreq in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0. And
besides this system has no problem playing higher bandwidth and
resolution MPEG2 streams.

> Just looking at what profiles was in use in the component...

OK. But where are you seeing this exactly. I ask because I tried using
several profiles throughout that log but the last few would have been
VDPAU Slim. If you can point to where it's telling you different then
perhaps I can hunt down why.

b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> OK. I don't even have a cpufreq in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0

Neither do I. Running a self-compiled 3.x kernel and an AMD64 dual-core:

model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Mar 26 12:04 cache/
-r-------- 1 root root 4096 Mar 27 19:13 crash_notes
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Mar 26 12:04 topology/

uname -a
Linux desktop.dd.inet 3.0.1 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 5 21:52:34 EDT 2011
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Doug

--
Ben Franklin quote:

Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 28 March 2012 10:11, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> OK.  But where are you seeing this exactly.  I ask because I tried using
> several profiles throughout that log but the last few would have been
> VDPAU Slim.  If you can point to where it's telling you different then
> perhaps I can hunt down why.

You're right, in the last lines of the log, you are using Slim

But almost al other you read:
2012-03-27 14:07:55.694575 I [13023/13023] CoreContext
videodisplayprofile.cpp:237 (VideoDisplayProfile) - VDP: Accepting:
cmp(>= 0 720) dec(vdpau) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(vdpau)
osd(vdpau) osdfade(enabled) deint(vdpaubasicdoublerate,vdpaubasic)
filt(vdpaucolorspace=auto)
2012-03-27 14:07:55.694618 I [13023/13023] CoreContext
videodisplayprofile.cpp:237 (VideoDisplayProfile) - VDP: Accepting:
cmp(> 0 0) dec(vdpau) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(vdpau) osd(vdpau)
osdfade(enabled) deint(vdpauadvanceddoublerate,vdpauadvanced)
filt(vdpaucolorspace=auto)

that's the definition of the Normal vpdau profile:
if >= 720 : Temporal 2X
if > 0 0 : Advanced 2X
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 07:18 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> You're right, in the last lines of the log, you are using Slim

Indeed.

> But almost al other you read:

So you were looking where I thought you were for the profile information.

> 2012-03-27 14:07:55.694575 I [13023/13023] CoreContext
> videodisplayprofile.cpp:237 (VideoDisplayProfile) - VDP: Accepting:
> cmp(>= 0 720) dec(vdpau) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(vdpau)
> osd(vdpau) osdfade(enabled) deint(vdpaubasicdoublerate,vdpaubasic)
> filt(vdpaucolorspace=auto)
> 2012-03-27 14:07:55.694618 I [13023/13023] CoreContext
> videodisplayprofile.cpp:237 (VideoDisplayProfile) - VDP: Accepting:
> cmp(> 0 0) dec(vdpau) cpus(1) skiploop(enabled) rend(vdpau) osd(vdpau)
> osdfade(enabled) deint(vdpauadvanceddoublerate,vdpauadvanced)
> filt(vdpaucolorspace=auto)

Yes, this is what I was using prior to this debugging and this profile
has never had any problem with any other content I have (which is all SD
for what it's worth).

But it seems that even using VDPAU Slim is not resolving this issue and
even an puny little ION can play it so I tend to think we are barking up
the wrong tree here with VDPAU profiles, wouldn't you agree?

If yes, any other ideas what's actually causing the bad stutter here?

b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 28 March 2012 10:24, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> If yes, any other ideas what's actually causing the bad stutter here?

I would still try to find if the AMD processor frequency is crippled
like it is by default in most distribution.
They do so to reduce power consumption

The CPU frequency is supposed to go higher when it needs to, problem
is that VDPAU doesn't make it so...

So I'd be lookking there if I were you
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 07:36 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> I would still try to find if the AMD processor frequency is crippled
> like it is by default in most distribution.

But how can it be if there are no knobs to control cpu frequency
scaling. A.k.a. probably this processor doesn't even support scaling.

> The CPU frequency is supposed to go higher when it needs to, problem
> is that VDPAU doesn't make it so...
>
> So I'd be lookking there if I were you

I've followed these instructions:
http://www.pantz.org/software/cpufreq/usingcpufreqonlinux.html and I
still have no sign of scalable frequency. But I still believe this to
be a red herring. The wiki page you pointed me at says:

Some AMD processors reduce the bus speed along with the CPU clock, at
the lowest scaling level this may be enough to cause VDPAU problems in
transferring data fast enough across the bus.

So if this were my problem wouldn't I be seeing this even more with the
bigger frame-size, higher bandwidth (more than 2x this h264 recording)
MPEG2 recordings that I can play with no problems at all?

b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 03/27/2012 06:18 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> OK. I don't even have a cpufreq in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
>
> Neither do I. Running a self-compiled 3.x kernel and an AMD64 dual-core:

Hi;

You might have it turned off here:

In make nconfig (etc.)
Power management and ACPI options
CPU Frequency scaling
'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor
x86 CPU frequency scaling drivers --->

$ grep CPU_FREQ /boot/config-3.0.0-16-generic
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

--
Bill
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 08:03 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 03/27/2012 06:18 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:
>> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>>> OK. I don't even have a cpufreq in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
>>
>> Neither do I. Running a self-compiled 3.x kernel and an AMD64 dual-core:
>
> Hi;
>
> You might have it turned off here:
>
> In make nconfig (etc.)
> Power management and ACPI options
> CPU Frequency scaling
> 'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor
> x86 CPU frequency scaling drivers --->
>
> $ grep CPU_FREQ /boot/config-3.0.0-16-generic
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

# grep CPU_FREQ /boot/config-2.6.38-13-generic
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

Additionally:

# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 007: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
maximum transition latency: 0.00 ms.

And:

[...]

cpu MHz there says it's at 2200.

Other machines around here that seem to support scaling:

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 95
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1000.000
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow up extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm svm extapic cr8_legacy
bogomips : 2000.36
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

which agrees with:

# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 006: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
driver: powernow-k8
CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
maximum transition latency: 109 us.
hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.00 GHz
available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1000 MHz
available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersave, performance
current policy: frequency should be within 1000 MHz and 2.00 GHz.
The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
within this range.
current CPU frequency is 1000 MHz (asserted by call to hardware).
cpufreq stats: 2.00 GHz:2.87%, 1.80 GHz:1.11%, 1000 MHz:96.02% (1905262)

b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-27 03:17 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I have two FEs both on the same version of master
> (v0.25-beta-99-gff73126) and while one (an ION) plays a certain h264
> video just fine, a GeForce 210 machine stutters really badly.

Dunno about "Ion", but the second-generation "Ion2" is more capable
than a GT210. That's most likely what you have there, so no surprise.

I'd suggest tweaking vdpaubuffersize, except you're on master so that
should be automatic (and indeed harmful to tweak there).

Can you boot from a mythtv-0.24.x "live CD" (eg. Mythbuntu)
and try playing the video from that, just for comparison to see
if this is a regression of some kind?

Cheers
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-28 09:23 AM, Mark Lord wrote:

> Dunno about "Ion", but the second-generation "Ion2" is more capable
> than a GT210. That's most likely what you have there, so no surprise.

I most likely have an Ion2? Not true. It is an Ion. It's an Acer Revo.

> I'd suggest tweaking vdpaubuffersize, except you're on master so that
> should be automatic (and indeed harmful to tweak there).

So should I or shouldn't I?

> Can you boot from a mythtv-0.24.x "live CD" (eg. Mythbuntu)
> and try playing the video from that, just for comparison to see
> if this is a regression of some kind?

But the BE is on master. An 0.24 FE won't talk to a master BE.

b.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>> Can you boot from a mythtv-0.24.x "live CD" (eg. Mythbuntu)
>> and try playing the video from that, just for comparison to see
>> if this is a regression of some kind?
>
> But the BE is on master.  An 0.24 FE won't talk to a master BE.

Well, I'm just guessing, but you could probably do that test by
booting both systems from a live CD. You'd just have to configure the
frontend and point it to the backend system.

--
Ron Frazier
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-28 09:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-03-28 09:23 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
..
>> I'd suggest tweaking vdpaubuffersize, except you're on master so that
>> should be automatic (and indeed harmful to tweak there).
>
> So should I or shouldn't I?

No on Master. Yes on 0.24.x

>> Can you boot from a mythtv-0.24.x "live CD" (eg. Mythbuntu)
>> and try playing the video from that, just for comparison to see
>> if this is a regression of some kind?
>
> But the BE is on master. An 0.24 FE won't talk to a master BE.

The LiveCD should give a standalong BE+FE, which is sufficient
to play a VIDEO (as opposed to actually record something new and play that).

Or maybe I'm wrong there -- possible. :)
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-28 09:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 12-03-28 09:23 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
>>
>> Dunno about "Ion", but the second-generation "Ion2" is more capable
>> than a GT210. That's most likely what you have there, so no surprise.
>
> I most likely have an Ion2? Not true. It is an Ion. It's an Acer Revo.

Okay, so they're pretty much equivalent then.
I see what you mean.

The system running master -- is it a "new-ish" setup?
If so (or even if not), you may try these tweaks
to the Nvidia driver. These cure all sorts of ailments here:

From a root shell, do this:

nvidia-xconfig --use-events
nvidia-xconfig --no-composite

Then reboot or restart gdm/lightdm for the changes to take effect.

Cheers
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian@interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> On 12-03-27 04:09 PM, Doug Lytle wrote:
> >
> > And you're running the just recently released nVidia drivers? It makes
> > mention of fixing H264 and VDPAU.
>
> Ahhh. Good point. A data item I left out. It's moot however. Both
> machines are running 270.41.06.
>
> Cheers,
> b.

Did you try updating the nvidia drivers? That's what I would try first. The
latest you can get installed, just stay away from early 290 series, which
had a crasher on ION.
Re: stutter playback of h264 on geforce 210 but not on ION [ In reply to ]
On 12-03-28 11:33 AM, Frank Phillips wrote:

> Did you try updating the nvidia drivers?

No. This machine plays other h264 content just fine. Much more
demanding content in fact: 1280x720 h264. Unfortunately mplayer doesn't
report the bitrate but I am sure it's much higher than the one that is
stuttering.

b.