shortcut on my Macbook it shows that the file is a symlink, but does not
show to where it thinks the symlink is pointing.. Thoughts on how to fix
this? Thanks in advance.
Re: Viewing mythlink.pl symlinks over smb [ In reply to ]
On 11/27/2011 00:31, Matt Emmott wrote:
> I use mythlink.pl <http://mythlink.pl> to dump symlinks of my
> recordings to /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/show_names. Recordings is
> shared out over SMB. I used to be able to mount recordings/show_names
> on my Boxee Box and stream recordings from there. However, I recently
> added a couple new drives and set each one up as a member of my
> recording group. Now, these symlinks no longer work over SMB.

Standard behavior of Samba is to dereference symlinks on the server
side, making them transparent to the clients. In the case that the
client claims to support symlinks, Samba will provide the actual link,
allowing the client to do its own dereferencing. You can disable this
by turning the 'unix extensions' option off.
Re: Viewing mythlink.pl symlinks over smb [ In reply to ]
On 11/27/2011 12:34 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 00:31, Matt Emmott wrote:
>> I use mythlink.pl to dump symlinks of my recordings to
>> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/show_names. Recordings is shared out over
>> SMB. I used to be able to mount recordings/show_names on my Boxee Box
>> and stream recordings from there. However, I recently added a couple
>> new drives and set each one up as a member of my recording group.
>> Now, these symlinks no longer work over SMB.
>
> Standard behavior of Samba is to dereference symlinks on the server
> side, making them transparent to the clients. In the case that the
> client claims to support symlinks, Samba will provide the actual link,
> allowing the client to do its own dereferencing. You can disable this
> by turning the 'unix extensions' option off.

and turning:

follow symlinks = Yes
wide links = Yes

(where wide links defaults to No/off, and is necessary if the link
points to a file outside the directory tree exported by the server).

Mike