Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  View All
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Rafic Gho wrote:
>so if I get the supported tuner, then does it recocognize the tuner
>without loading the driver?

I'm guessing you've come from a Windows background and Linux is new
to you. It takes a fair bit of adjustment to the many significant
differences.

Generalising and simplifying somewhat ...

In the Windows world, many common devices are supported by Windows
"out of the box" - they still have a driver, it's just that Microsoft
supply one and it's installed by default. When you buy new hardware,
it typically comes with a disk for you to install a driver from -
either because the manufacturer has a better one than Microsoft
supply (eg it supports all the hardware features rather than just a
selection of generic ones) or because Microsoft don't supply one at
all.
Because Windows is such a dominant OS, no hardware manufacturer would
consider shipping hardware without a Windows driver.

Now, over in the Linux world things are different. We still need
device drivers, but the difference is that (in general) you don't get
a disk with a Linux driver with your new hardware. Things are
improving, but with a few notable exceptions, most vendors just
haven't realised that there is any other OS than Windows. Those of us
that use Macs have a similar problem.

As a result, in the Linux world, it's a case of the "Linux
Developers"* who have to supply all the device drivers. Thus, instead
of installing the driver that came on a disk from your hardware
vendor, you are reliant on a driver for that device being part of the
Linux you installed. If you have something that's mature enough to
have a driver, then it may well already be supported by your current
installation and you have nothing to install. If it's something new,
then you may have to upgrade and/or reconfigure your kernel to get a
driver - the latter is, I would suggest, not something for a complete
newcomer to tackle.

In your case, http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_Devices
shows that the device is supported from kernel version 2.6.26
onwards. That means plug it in, and the system should recognise it -
as long as you have a kernel no earlier than that. Most things are
"plug and play" these days, when you plug in the tuner, the USB
subsystem will detect the device being plugged in, interrogate it to
find out what it is, and load the correct driver to operate it. When
the driver loads, a device file will be created for it in /dev, and
the device is then 'visible' to any software you run.

That is only half the story - you then have to configure Myth to use
it. The driver merely makes the device visible to software running on
your system, you need applications (of which Myth is just one) to
actually use it.
Someone posted a link to the Wiki earlier where there are step by
step instructions to install and configure Myth.

* I use the term fairly widely as referring to the very large group
of developers who contribute to the overall "package". In fact there
is a group running the Video for Linux section, who look after video
devices.
--
Simon Hobson

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Thanks Simon for a detailed explanation. Yes I am a window guy, although I
have taken some Linux classes in the past, I have forgotten the how to
environment. I will try to learn more as I dig in to it.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Op 1-10-2010 1:20, Simon Hobson schreef:
> [...]
> the device being plugged in, interrogate it to find out what it is,
> and load the correct driver to operate it. When the driver loads, a
> device file will be created for it in /dev, and the device is then
> 'visible' to any software you run.
>
> That is only half the story - you then have to configure Myth to use
> it. The driver merely makes the device visible to software running on
> your system, you need applications (of which Myth is just one) to
> actually use it.
> Someone posted a link to the Wiki earlier where there are step by step
> instructions to install and configure Myth.
>

> * I use the term fairly widely as referring to the very large group of
> developers who contribute to the overall "package". In fact there is a
> group running the Video for Linux section, who look after video devices.

It's a shame this isn't a forum where you could be awarded reputation
points, but this post gets a 'thumbs up' so to say.

Jos
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 09/30/2010 04:20 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Rafic Gho wrote:
>> so if I get the supported tuner, then does it recocognize the tuner
>> without loading the driver?
>
> I'm guessing you've come from a Windows background and Linux is new to
> you. It takes a fair bit of adjustment to the many significant differences.
>
> Generalising and simplifying somewhat ...

[snip]

For a G&S response, that was outstanding. Well done, Simon.
http://mikedickson.org.uk
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 09/30/2010 07:32 PM, Jos Hoekstra wrote:

> It's a shame this isn't a forum where you could be awarded reputation
> points, but this post gets a 'thumbs up' so to say.
>
> Jos

+1

perfect job.

steve
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
Hello Simon. My kernel version is 2.6.32. Should I upgrade to 2.6.35.7 that
I found as the latest stable Kernel? And how is possible to upgrade, I can
not make internet connections either. Thanks.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 09/30/2010 07:59 PM, Rafic Gho wrote:
> My kernel version is 2.6.32. Should I upgrade to 2.6.35.7 that I found
> as the latest stable Kernel? And how is possible to upgrade, I can not
> make internet connections either. Thanks.

I would.

Please...use a proper subject when posting to the list.
http://mikedickson.org.uk
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 22:23 -0700, sdavmor wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 07:59 PM, Rafic Gho wrote:
> > My kernel version is 2.6.32. Should I upgrade to 2.6.35.7 that I found
> > as the latest stable Kernel? And how is possible to upgrade, I can not
> > make internet connections either. Thanks.
>
> I would.
>
> Please...use a proper subject when posting to the list.

And post to a list where your question is relevant. This is not a
general-linux-help list. There ass-barn-loads of lists for that so no
need to overload this list with such general help questions.

b.
Re: kernel upgrades (Was: (no subject)) [ In reply to ]
Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> > > My kernel version is 2.6.32. Should I upgrade to 2.6.35.7 that I found
>> > as the latest stable Kernel? And how is possible to upgrade, I can not
>> > make internet connections either. Thanks.
>>
>> I would.
>>
>> Please...use a proper subject when posting to the list.
>
>And post to a list where your question is relevant. This is not a
>general-linux-help list. There ass-barn-loads of lists for that so no
>need to overload this list with such general help questions.

Sorry but I have to say this, that attitude is one of the reasons
many people won't try/don't stick with Linux. It's entirely negative
and does nothing other than tell someone that in your opinion they
aren't worthy of being allowed into the group.

I took the question as related to his earlier one regarding drivers
for his capture card/device - as in "should I upgrade my kernel to
support it ?". As such it's not totally irrelevant here (though a
Video 4 Linux list/forum would be more appropriate).

This guy is clearly new around these parts and lost. A helpful
response would be to point him in the right direction, not wave a
shotgun and shout "get orrf me land" !

--
Simon Hobson

Re: kernel upgrades (Was: (no subject)) [ In reply to ]
On Friday, October 01, 2010 07:01:36 am Simon Hobson wrote:

> >> I would.
> >>
> >> Please...use a proper subject when posting to the list.
> >
> >And post to a list where your question is relevant. This is not a
> >general-linux-help list. There ass-barn-loads of lists for that so no
> >need to overload this list with such general help questions.
>
> Sorry but I have to say this, that attitude is one of the reasons
> many people won't try/don't stick with Linux. It's entirely negative
> and does nothing other than tell someone that in your opinion they
> aren't worthy of being allowed into the group.
>
> I took the question as related to his earlier one regarding drivers
> for his capture card/device - as in "should I upgrade my kernel to
> support it ?". As such it's not totally irrelevant here (though a
> Video 4 Linux list/forum would be more appropriate).
>
> This guy is clearly new around these parts and lost. A helpful
> response would be to point him in the right direction, not wave a
> shotgun and shout "get orrf me land" !

I agree, the OP us clearly a "MythTV User", and has a question about how to use MythTV, so he rightly belongs here.

Just knowing that the capture card requires a device driver of some sort puts the fellow head and shoulders above most
people. If we can't help a user with Windows experience and at least "some" Linux experience, we should just close up shop
and go home.

Myth is a difficult first Linux project, as I have said, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to get a new user up and
running. Pointing out some specific other sites may be a part of this process, but it's not the solution by itself.
Mentioning that there are many Linux sites out there helps nobody at this point, at the very least such a statement should
point to specific sites and/or forums.

For a start, the OP should consider one of the "all-in-one" Linux/Myth distributions, such as Mythdora or Mythbuntu, which
are likely to have any required drivers included, and concentrate on how to configure Myth, which can be daunting even for
experienced users.

Re: kernel upgrades (Was: (no subject)) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 07:24:39AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> > >And post to a list where your question is relevant. This is not a
> > >general-linux-help list. There ass-barn-loads of lists for that so no
> > >need to overload this list with such general help questions.
> >
> > Sorry but I have to say this, that attitude is one of the reasons
> > many people won't try/don't stick with Linux. It's entirely negative
> > and does nothing other than tell someone that in your opinion they
> > aren't worthy of being allowed into the group.
> >
> > I took the question as related to his earlier one regarding drivers
> > for his capture card/device - as in "should I upgrade my kernel to
> > support it ?". As such it's not totally irrelevant here (though a
> > Video 4 Linux list/forum would be more appropriate).
> >
> > This guy is clearly new around these parts and lost. A helpful
> > response would be to point him in the right direction, not wave a
> > shotgun and shout "get orrf me land" !
>
> I agree, the OP us clearly a "MythTV User", and has a question about how to use MythTV, so he rightly belongs here.
>
> Just knowing that the capture card requires a device driver of some sort puts the fellow head and shoulders above most
> people. If we can't help a user with Windows experience and at least "some" Linux experience, we should just close up shop
> and go home.
>
> Myth is a difficult first Linux project, as I have said, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to get a new user up and
> running. Pointing out some specific other sites may be a part of this process, but it's not the solution by itself.
> Mentioning that there are many Linux sites out there helps nobody at this point, at the very least such a statement should
> point to specific sites and/or forums.

...the web forums for Ubuntu and Gentoo are very helpful in general and
provide a lot of nice general purpose documentation on things such as
this. You don't have to be running either of those distros to find either
of their forums useful and relevant.

[deletia]
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is where remote controls on phones should be, review what media
> you have available on the remote device, playback on the big screen.
> While playback is occurring allow the remote device user to continue
> to browse media wihtout interrupting playback.

you mean like the xbmc android remote/

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton@gmail.com>wrote:

> This is where remote controls on phones should be, review what media
> you have available on the remote device, playback on the big screen.
> While playback is occurring allow the remote device user to continue
> to browse media wihtout interrupting playback.
>
> Also the remote device user can control the normal media controls such
> as volume, pause, fast forward etc.
>
> Google has just attempted it with "leanback".
>

> http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/09/youtube-remote-app-released-brings-android-phones-and-google-tvs/

I've used a ton of phone-based remotes on my iPod and HTC Evo. I've used
remotes for media players such as MythTV, Boxee, XBMC, Plex, as well as PC
remote controls like RemoTux(I think that's the name? My iPod's at home),
Gmote, and various VNC clients.

I completely agree that this is a step in the right direction. IIRC at least
one of the Boxee remotes gives the feedback on the device showing what's
currently playing and lets you bounce around while your stuff is playing on
the big screen. But I haven't found one killer app yet that does everything
we need or want from such a device. MythDroid seems to be decent at two-way
communication by telling you what recordings are where, but it's been so
buggy for me that I haven't been able to use it to its full potential.

I think we're at the point where the technology is there, both on the media
player and the power of the phones we're using; what we need is somebody to
take the reins and put everything together into one usable, slick package.
I'm not so sure if or when this will happen, with all the fragmentation of
media players and aggregators that are out there (Boxee? Plex? Roku? WD?
Sonos? Google TV? Myth?).

Off the top of my head, to be a truly great remote, we need, in no
particular order:

1) Two way communication. Show screenshots or album arts on the remote
2) A truly dynamic interface - I think MythMote on my iPod changes its
available control buttons based on what type of media I'm playing and what
menu I'm in on Myth
3) Launch-and-go usability - Right now it's still a little dodgy to
configure your remote for the correct device. It should be maybe three
clicks to launch the remote, pick your frontend of choice, and launch your
content.
4) A killer app - Something amazing that blows the others out of the water.
For Myth, it could be a transcode button that 'sucks' the content to the
mobile device to watch on the road. For the aggregators like Boxee, it could
be a personal dashboard that recommends other things to watch based on what
you're watching with a one-click launcher to the new content. For the geeks,
a great remote control for Linux / Windows / whatever that's part VLC, part
portable trackpad or keyboard. For anything with a microphone, voice input
would be nice.
4) A nice front-end to a web interface that makes scheduling recordings or
setting up playlists super easy, perhaps even when not on the local LAN. How
cool would it be to set up recordings and queue up playlists that launch
when you get home?
5) Use of the existing technology - Why isn't there a bluetooth proximity
detector? Pause the show when I walk out of the room! Know that I want to
control my kitchen HTPC when I'm near it, and play back the show where I
left off in the living room! Things like this aren't too technically complex
(from a 5000 foot view) yet nobody's doing anything about them!

I haven't paid much attention to Google TV yet. I'm heavily invested in
MythTV and Boxee (My Boxee Box ships tomorrow!) and I just don't want to get
involved with yet another media player at this point. But I've spent a lot
of time daydreaming about the perfect system, which would include the
perfect remote, so this is a topic I like to talk about. We have all this
great technology with our mobile devices and a clean slate with the big
touchscreen phones (Don't get me started about tablets) and yet nobody has
taken the ball and run with it yet.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> This is where remote controls on phones should be, review what media
>> you have available on the remote device, playback on the big screen.
>> While playback is occurring allow the remote device user to continue
>> to browse media wihtout interrupting playback.
>>
>> Also the remote device user can control the normal media controls such
>> as volume, pause, fast forward etc.
>>
>> Google has just attempted it with "leanback".
>>

>> http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/09/youtube-remote-app-released-brings-android-phones-and-google-tvs/
>
> I've used a ton of phone-based remotes on my iPod and HTC Evo. I've used
> remotes for media players such as MythTV, Boxee, XBMC, Plex, as well as PC
> remote controls like RemoTux(I think that's the name? My iPod's at home),
> Gmote, and various VNC clients.
>
> I completely agree that this is a step in the right direction. IIRC at least
> one of the Boxee remotes gives the feedback on the device showing what's
> currently playing and lets you bounce around while your stuff is playing on
> the big screen. But I haven't found one killer app yet that does everything
> we need or want from such a device. MythDroid seems to be decent at two-way
> communication by telling you what recordings are where, but it's been so
> buggy for me that I haven't been able to use it to its full potential.
>
> I think we're at the point where the technology is there, both on the media
> player and the power of the phones we're using; what we need is somebody to
> take the reins and put everything together into one usable, slick package.
> I'm not so sure if or when this will happen, with all the fragmentation of
> media players and aggregators that are out there (Boxee? Plex? Roku? WD?
> Sonos? Google TV? Myth?).
>
> Off the top of my head, to be a truly great remote, we need, in no
> particular order:
>
> 1) Two way communication. Show screenshots or album arts on the remote

Sony and Phillips have been doing this for quite a while. Maybe
others? Not graphics per se, but 2-way comms..

> 2) A truly dynamic interface - I think MythMote on my iPod changes its
> available control buttons based on what type of media I'm playing and what
> menu I'm in on Myth
> 3) Launch-and-go usability - Right now it's still a little dodgy to
> configure your remote for the correct device. It should be maybe three
> clicks to launch the remote, pick your frontend of choice, and launch your
> content.
> 4) A killer app - Something amazing that blows the others out of the water.
> For Myth, it could be a transcode button that 'sucks' the content to the
> mobile device to watch on the road. For the aggregators like Boxee, it could
> be a personal dashboard that recommends other things to watch based on what
> you're watching with a one-click launcher to the new content. For the geeks,
> a great remote control for Linux / Windows / whatever that's part VLC, part
> portable trackpad or keyboard. For anything with a microphone, voice input
> would be nice.

The only thing I can instantly think of that would probably gain
instant traction is to make a touch-screen remote have feelable
buttons.

I have several high end remotes that will almost wash the dishes if I
tell them to, but honestly I prefer the cheaper reomtes with buttons.
Having no touch feedback on a touchscreen remote is a huge drawback.
Granted, I can do much more sophisticated things with them, but for
usual TV items, I will always grab a remote with buttons over a remote
with a touchscreen.

> 4) A nice front-end to a web interface that makes scheduling recordings or
> setting up playlists super easy, perhaps even when not on the local LAN. How
> cool would it be to set up recordings and queue up playlists that launch
> when you get home?

It is already possible.

> 5) Use of the existing technology - Why isn't there a bluetooth proximity
> detector? Pause the show when I walk out of the room! Know that I want to
> control my kitchen HTPC when I'm near it, and play back the show where I
> left off in the living room! Things like this aren't too technically complex
> (from a 5000 foot view) yet nobody's doing anything about them!

There are a lot of thees already. Search for voip and bluetooth..
The same techniques can be applied...

> I haven't paid much attention to Google TV yet. I'm heavily invested in
> MythTV and Boxee (My Boxee Box ships tomorrow!) and I just don't want to get
> involved with yet another media player at this point. But I've spent a lot
> of time daydreaming about the perfect system, which would include the
> perfect remote, so this is a topic I like to talk about. We have all this
> great technology with our mobile devices and a clean slate with the big
> touchscreen phones (Don't get me started about tablets) and yet nobody has
> taken the ball and run with it

I think everything you described is possible with today's feature sets.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
I don't agree that sony and phillips have been doing solutions like this.

We are talking about moving the entire osd onto a remote tablet. It would
need to be a compromise in fact depending on whether there are other people
around to look at what's on and whether choosing what to watch is a social
interaction or a single persons choice.

I don't think that a phone is the right device either. Something a little
larger like a nokia n8xx or n900, a dell streak or something bigger like an
ipad is really going to be needed to make this work.

The user should ideally be able to move playback from the tv to the "tablet
remote" walk into a different room and move it to the tv in that room in a
pretty seamless manner.... a bit like linuxmce manages with mythtv and
bluetooth proximity.

Anyway these are just my opinions and it is obviously a huge amount of
work...

On 10 Nov 2010 04:29, "Greg Oliver" <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at ...
Sony and Phillips have been doing this for quite a while. Maybe
others? Not graphics per se, but 2-way comms..

> 2) A truly dynamic interface - I think MythMote on my iPod changes its
> available control button...
The only thing I can instantly think of that would probably gain
instant traction is to make a touch-screen remote have feelable
buttons.

I have several high end remotes that will almost wash the dishes if I
tell them to, but honestly I prefer the cheaper reomtes with buttons.
Having no touch feedback on a touchscreen remote is a huge drawback.
Granted, I can do much more sophisticated things with them, but for
usual TV items, I will always grab a remote with buttons over a remote
with a touchscreen.

> 4) A nice front-end to a web interface that makes scheduling recordings or
> setting up playlists...
It is already possible.

> 5) Use of the existing technology - Why isn't there a bluetooth proximity
> detector? Pause the s...
There are a lot of thees already. Search for voip and bluetooth..
The same techniques can be applied...

> I haven't paid much attention to Google TV yet. I'm heavily invested in
> MythTV and Boxee (My Bo...
I think everything you described is possible with today's feature sets.

ht...
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is where remote controls on phones should be, review what media
>> you have available on the remote device, playback on the big screen.
>> While playback is occurring allow the remote device user to continue
>> to browse media wihtout interrupting playback.
>
> you mean like the xbmc android remote/
>

>> Also the remote device user can control the normal media controls such
>> as volume, pause, fast forward etc.
>>
>> Google has just attempted it with "leanback".
>>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/09/youtube-remote-app-released-brings-android-phones-and-google-tvs/

Have you seen WebMyth for Palm WebOS?

http://code.google.com/p/webmyth/

It works great, and the author (I assume is on the list, but I don't
know who he is) seems to update it fairly frequently with new
features.

Tom
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Richard Morton
> > <richard.e.morton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This is where remote controls on phones should be, review what media
> >> you have available on the remote device, playback on the big screen.
> >> While playback is occurring allow the remote device user to continue
> >> to browse media wihtout interrupting playback.
> >
> > you mean like the xbmc android remote/
> >

> >> Also the remote device user can control the normal media controls such
> >> as volume, pause, fast forward etc.
> >>
> >> Google has just attempted it with "leanback".
> >>

> http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/09/youtube-remote-app-released-brings-android-phones-and-google-tvs/
>
> Have you seen WebMyth for Palm WebOS?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/webmyth/
>
> It works great, and the author (I assume is on the list, but I don't
> know who he is) seems to update it fairly frequently with new
> features.
>
> Tom

wish there was one for the n900
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 15:37 +0000, Dave Brown wrote:
> wish there was one for the n900

Hi;

Have you tried:

http://irreco.garage.maemo.org/irreco.html ?

The site isn't responding very well right now.

If memory serves, I had to add the 'Maemo Extras Devel'
catalog to the Applications Manager.

I'm not using the Qt or Widget versions, but the
original, which is end-of-life now.

It works well with the MythTV Frontend control socket:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket

Take care,

Bill Meek

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Greg Oliver <oliver.greg@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> be a personal dashboard that recommends other things to watch based on what
>> you're watching with a one-click launcher to the new content. For the geeks,
>> a great remote control for Linux / Windows / whatever that's part VLC, part
>> portable trackpad or keyboard. For anything with a microphone, voice input
>> would be nice.
>
> The only thing I can instantly think of that would probably gain
> instant traction is to make a touch-screen remote have feelable
> buttons.
>
> I have several high end remotes that will almost wash the dishes if I
> tell them to, but honestly I prefer the cheaper reomtes with buttons.
> Having no touch feedback on a touchscreen remote is a huge drawback.
> Granted, I can do much more sophisticated things with them, but for
> usual TV items, I will always grab a remote with buttons over a remote

my android phone remotes give a short vibrate when a touch button is
pressed. It's very positive.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 10/11/2010 1:00 p.m., Matt Emmott wrote:
MythDroid seems to
> be decent at two-way communication by telling you what recordings are
> where, but it's been so buggy for me that I haven't been able to use it
> to its full potential.

When did you last use mythdroid? On what version of mythtv? Mythdroid
keeps improving and is quite usable now. So far it seems largely one
(talented) programmer / dev is working on it, which makes it that much
more remarkable, if I had the skills I'd be helping him because I've not
seen anything better and it is leaps ahead of anything else, (Linux
based that is, (linuxmce possibly accepted and not wishing to underpaly
mythmote either) I'm not not sure elsewhere) and at the end of the day
is a cool piece of software with the ability to morph and evolve into
something even better, just like mythtv.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't agree that sony and phillips have been doing solutions like this.

Well, my (older than 10 years) Sony remote is 2-way with gui feedback
on the remote. It will display current playing station, as well as
pull the settings from the receiver for current Speaker / EQ settings,
so the realtime data on the remote is what the receiver is currently
provisioned for. Granted it is not hi-res by any means, but the
basics are there. The latest generation Prontos do full screen gui
with device feedback.. The only thing bad about the sony remote was
at certain points deep into a configuration menu that relied on the
receiver's settings being transmitted to the remote, it could hang if
you left IR range.

> We are talking about moving the entire osd onto a remote tablet. It would
> need to be a compromise in fact depending on whether there are other people
> around to look at what's on and whether choosing what to watch is a social
> interaction or a single persons choice.
>
> I don't think that a phone is the right device either. Something a little
> larger like a nokia n8xx or n900, a dell streak or something bigger like an
> ipad is really going to be needed to make this work.

After having had a gamut of remotes, I can in fact say I will never
own another flat-screen touch remote without hard buttons - just my
$.02

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 15:37 +0000, Dave Brown wrote:
> > wish there was one for the n900
>
> Hi;
>
> Have you tried:
>
> http://irreco.garage.maemo.org/irreco.html ?
>
> The site isn't responding very well right now.
>
> If memory serves, I had to add the 'Maemo Extras Devel'
> catalog to the Applications Manager.
>
> I'm not using the Qt or Widget versions, but the
> original, which is end-of-life now.
>
> It works well with the MythTV Frontend control socket:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket
>

> Take care,
>
> Bill Meek

Cheers Bill thats awesome, shame you cant use the n900's keyboard too
(mythnetvision etc) but still a handy remote :)
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 3/31/2011 19:43, Bruno DOUTRIAUX - Youmé-TECH wrote:
> i'd like to know if it exists a tuner dvb-t card in expresscard 54
> that works with myth-tv.

As always, digital tuners don't work with MythTV, they work with the
Linux kernel, and are exposed through the DVB API. If a card has
drivers that implement the DVB API, MythTV can record through it. You
need to question the developers of said drivers whether there are any
supported ExpressCard tuners.

See http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_PCMCIA_Cards
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
It's one of the regular STBs which I'm connecting via SVHS and a CX23880
capture card. I'll be using a Dangerous Prototypes USB IRToy as an IR
transciever to blast the cable box and accept commands for MythTV, although
I haven't yet actually set it up yet. Currently almost everything we'd want
to record is one the same channel! :)

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
James Olsovsky wrote:
> [SPAM deleted]

Can somebody please unsubscribe this Spammer? If he's not subscribed,
how is it possible that this comes through?

TY