merge guide to show one channel from two sources.
I'm not sure about that title, but here's my setup. I have local
channels from Cable and Dish Network.

On my cable system, ABC is channel 7. From the Dish box, ABC is 8000.
So in my guide, I have both channel 8000 and 7. How can I get the guide
to only show one entry (ABC)?

Thanks,
Ajay
Re: merge guide to show one channel from two sources. [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/2009 12:37 AM, Ajay Sharma wrote:
> I'm not sure about that title, but here's my setup. I have local
> channels from Cable and Dish Network.
>
> On my cable system, ABC is channel 7. From the Dish box, ABC is
> 8000. So in my guide, I have both channel 8000 and 7. How can I get
> the guide to only show one entry (ABC)?

Channel numbers and callsigns are user-editable fields.

The channel number's /only/ purpose is to allow you to specify which
channel to tune when watching waste-your-LifeTV, I mean LiveTV. This
means that when some stupid cable company puts Fox 35 on channel number
3, you can renumber it to 35, where it's meant to be. The channel
number is /not/ used to tune any channels (freqid is, so don't edit that).

The callsign's /only/ purpose is to allow you to tell MythTV that 2
different channels have substantially-identical content. (The meaning
of, "Substantially-identical," is /very/ subjective, but really, IMHO,
it should mean, "Exactly-identical.") This means that if you get the
same channel (content) from 2 different video sources, you can tell Myth
that the 2 channels are actually the same by simply giving them the same
callsign. (Note, also, that "this channel" in MythTV refers to
/callsign/, so if you make "this channel" rules, they apply to all
channels with the same callsign.)

And, as an added bonus when 2 channels have the exact same channel
number and callsign, the EPG will only display one row for both
channels--because you've told MythTV that their content is identical and
they appear next to each other on the guide, so there's no reason to
duplicate the content.

So, use the channel editor in mythtv-setup or MythWeb to give both
channels the exact same channel number and callsign and you'll see it
only once in the guide.

Mike
Re: merge guide to show one channel from two sources. [ In reply to ]
On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:48 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> And, as an added bonus when 2 channels have the exact same channel
> number and callsign, the EPG will only display one row for both
> channels--because you've told MythTV that their content is identical
> and they appear next to each other on the guide, so there's no
> reason to duplicate the content.
>
> So, use the channel editor in mythtv-setup or MythWeb to give both
> channels the exact same channel number and callsign and you'll see
> it only once in the guide.
I like this idea a lot, but have a question. I have an HDHR receiving
OTA HD channel 2.1, callsign KUTV-HD. I also subscribe to DirectTV HD
and channel 2, callsign KUTV-DT is identical in content to the HDHR
OTA channel. If I change both of the Channels to 2, and callsign
KUTV, if I understand you correctly, I'll only have one entry in my
program guide. Will this interfere with Myth's ability to tune the
channel on the HDHR, I'm pretty sure that if I change both channels to
2.1 it will screw up my DirecTV tuning as I'm using the directv.pl
script and it uses the channel number to tune the STB.
Re: merge guide to show one channel from two sources. [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/2009 12:37 PM, David Snider wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:48 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> And, as an added bonus when 2 channels have the exact same channel
>> number and callsign, the EPG will only display one row for both
>> channels--because you've told MythTV that their content is identical
>> and they appear next to each other on the guide, so there's no reason
>> to duplicate the content.
>>
>> So, use the channel editor in mythtv-setup or MythWeb to give both
>> channels the exact same channel number and callsign and you'll see it
>> only once in the guide.
> I like this idea a lot, but have a question. I have an HDHR receiving
> OTA HD channel 2.1, callsign KUTV-HD. I also subscribe to DirectTV HD
> and channel 2, callsign KUTV-DT is identical in content to the HDHR
> OTA channel. If I change both of the Channels to 2, and callsign
> KUTV, if I understand you correctly, I'll only have one entry in my
> program guide. Will this interfere with Myth's ability to tune the
> channel on the HDHR, I'm pretty sure that if I change both channels to
> 2.1 it will screw up my DirecTV tuning as I'm using the directv.pl
> script and it uses the channel number to tune the STB.

No, that uses the freqid to tune the STB--assuming it's a proper
external channel change script (and doesn't do something
stup^H^H^H^Hunsupported like query the database to get channum). The
channel change scripts /only/ receive a single command-line argument
from Myth, which is the freqid. If you need 2.1 to tune the DirecTV
box, your freqid should be 2.1. It can be any 10 characters you
want--i.e. "2 1" or "2-1" or "2.1" or "two.one" or whatever your script
wants. (So, it can be a frequency or anything that identifies a
frequency--including a channel number.)

The only result of changing 2 channel numbers to be identical is
that--once you do--you cannot distinguish between them when telling
LiveTV to tune the channel. I.e. if one were 2.1 and the other were
1002.1, you could tune the one on DirecTV or the other specifically. If
they're both 2.1, you'll have to either watch whichever one it tunes or
switch to the input on which the one you want is available before tuning
(i.e. go to the input for your DirecTV box before typing in 2.1 to watch
through the DirecTV box).

Mike
Re: merge guide to show one channel from two sources. [ In reply to ]
On Jul 2, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> The only result of changing 2 channel numbers to be identical is
> that--once you do--you cannot distinguish between them when telling
> LiveTV to tune the channel. I.e. if one were 2.1 and the other were
> 1002.1, you could tune the one on DirecTV or the other
> specifically. If they're both 2.1, you'll have to either watch
> whichever one it tunes or switch to the input on which the one you
> want is available before tuning (i.e. go to the input for your
> DirecTV box before typing in 2.1 to watch through the DirecTV box).

Thanks Mike, tested it tonight. Works great!