Mailing List Archive

How to map digital channels from hdhomerun to recordable HD channels in channel guide?
[.please ignore forced reply-to and do Cc me on replies, even though I am on
the list]

Howdy,

So, I have my hdhomerun mostly working with myth 0.20.2 (I'll upgrade to
0.21 soon), I can tune channels, but I don't get any program guide data for
them in the channel guide.

I did read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HDHomeRun and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Silicondust_HDHomeRun
and did setup two lineups in schedulesdirect:
95014 Cupertino, US Comcast Cable
95014 Cupertino, US Comcast - Digital CableDigital

Unfortunately, the channels from
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/lineups/edit/CA04931:X
don't match the channel numbers I get from hdhomerun, namely:
2.1 = KTVU/CVS
4.2 = KRON/NBC
5.1 = KPIX/CBS
7.1 = KGO/ABC
9.1 = KQED
10.1 = KTEH
11.1 = NBC 11

vs some numbering which I guess is used on comcast cable boxes (3 digit
channel numbers, no dots)

And just to make things more confusing, channels numbers from this page:
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui?Cmd=LocationProgramsWeb&Country=US&Postcode=95014
or that page:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Working_QAM_cable_layout#Cupertino.2C_CA_95014_-_Comcast
use yet a 3rd and 4th non matching recording scheme.

I realize that this must be an FAQ, and yet I can't find a good page
explaining how to do make my mapping work, or what's up with 4 different channel
numbering schemes.
So:
How I do match schedulesdirect listing names with hdhomerun channel numbers
so that mythtv can record the HD version of the shows I watch?

Thanks,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/
Re: How to map digital channels from hdhomerun to recordable HD channels in channel guide? [ In reply to ]
Marc MERLIN wrote:
> [.please ignore forced reply-to and do Cc me on replies, even though I am on
> the list]
>
> Howdy,
>
> So, I have my hdhomerun mostly working with myth 0.20.2 (I'll upgrade to
> 0.21 soon), I can tune channels, but I don't get any program guide data for
> them in the channel guide.
>
> I did read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HDHomeRun and
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Silicondust_HDHomeRun
> and did setup two lineups in schedulesdirect:
> 95014 Cupertino, US Comcast Cable
> 95014 Cupertino, US Comcast - Digital CableDigital
>
> Unfortunately, the channels from
> http://www.schedulesdirect.org/lineups/edit/CA04931:X
> don't match the channel numbers I get from hdhomerun, namely:
> 2.1 = KTVU/CVS
> 4.2 = KRON/NBC
> 5.1 = KPIX/CBS
> 7.1 = KGO/ABC
> 9.1 = KQED
> 10.1 = KTEH
> 11.1 = NBC 11
>
> vs some numbering which I guess is used on comcast cable boxes (3 digit
> channel numbers, no dots)
>
> And just to make things more confusing, channels numbers from this page:
> http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui?Cmd=LocationProgramsWeb&Country=US&Postcode=95014
> or that page:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Working_QAM_cable_layout#Cupertino.2C_CA_95014_-_Comcast
> use yet a 3rd and 4th non matching recording scheme.
>
> I realize that this must be an FAQ, and yet I can't find a good page
> explaining how to do make my mapping work, or what's up with 4 different channel
> numbering schemes.
> So:
> How I do match schedulesdirect listing names with hdhomerun channel numbers
> so that mythtv can record the HD version of the shows I watch?

Channel numbers are irrelevant (they are just cosmetic and can be
anything). The xmltvid is the important piece which is usually lined up
automagically with the callsign. I don't have cable so I can't help
specifically with that, but this info should help get you closer.

-Brad
Re: How to map digital channels from hdhomerun to recordable HD channels in channel guide? [ In reply to ]
Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Marc MERLIN wrote:

>> Unfortunately, the channels from
>> http://www.schedulesdirect.org/lineups/edit/CA04931:X
>> don't match the channel numbers I get from hdhomerun, namely:
>> 2.1 = KTVU/CVS
>> 4.2 = KRON/NBC
>> 5.1 = KPIX/CBS
>> 7.1 = KGO/ABC
>> 9.1 = KQED
>> 10.1 = KTEH
>> 11.1 = NBC 11
>>
>> vs some numbering which I guess is used on comcast cable boxes (3 digit
>> channel numbers, no dots)

> Channel numbers are irrelevant (they are just cosmetic and can be
> anything). The xmltvid is the important piece which is usually lined up
> automagically with the callsign. I don't have cable so I can't help
> specifically with that, but this info should help get you closer.

Marc,
Brad is right, the XMLTV IDs are the important part. You very likely may
have to edit those channels by hand (not too hard). I find the easiest
way for me is to go to Live TV, watch each channel and edit them from
there. For example, for your first one, KTVU: watch that channel. Hit
'E'. Go down to the field that says XMLTV ID (it probably just says
SchedulesDirect lineup website and try to find that channel in your
listings (like you said the channel numbers are all wacky). Hover over
the correct one with the mouse; the tooltip that pops up will say
something like 'KTVU: 12345' ...take that number and put it in the XMLTV
ID field in LiveTV. Once you've done this for all those channels you'll
need to update your listings by running mythfilldatabase. That should be
it. You can always change the channel numbers to what you think makes
most sense. Comcast here keeps all the OTA channel numbers with their
digital channels, too (e.g., I can get FOX here OTA as channel 25...
Comcast maps it as 25.1 ...but also has their own version 825; silly). I
personally change them to what they're supposed to be over cable (so 825
instead of 25.1) just for some kind of consistency.

Cheers,
Jesse
Re: How to map digital channels -> No KPIX DT or KQED-HD [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 10:37:42AM -0400, Jesse Burt wrote:
> >> 2.1 = KTVU/CVS
> >> 4.2 = KRON/NBC
> >> 5.1 = KPIX/CBS
> >> 7.1 = KGO/ABC
> >> 9.1 = KQED
> >> 10.1 = KTEH
> >> 11.1 = NBC 11
> >>
> >> vs some numbering which I guess is used on comcast cable boxes (3 digit
> >> channel numbers, no dots)
>
> Marc,
> Brad is right, the XMLTV IDs are the important part. You very likely may
> have to edit those channels by hand (not too hard). I find the easiest
> way for me is to go to Live TV, watch each channel and edit them from
> there. For example, for your first one, KTVU: watch that channel. Hit

Thanks for the details.
Once I did the mapping, an even quicker way is to use mythweb:
http://mythtv/mythweb/settings/channels

> 'E'. Go down to the field that says XMLTV ID (it probably just says
> SchedulesDirect lineup website and try to find that channel in your
> listings (like you said the channel numbers are all wacky). Hover over

For some, it was unclear whhich one to take between KQEDDT1,2,3,4,5, until
I figured out that XXXDT was X.1, and XXXDT2 was X.2 and so forth...

So, that would make 705 KPIXDT (xml ID 19572), my 5.1 channel, or the HD
version of KPIX 5.
This worked for 2/3rds of the channles, but not all (after rerunning
mythfilldatabase of course)
http://mythtb/mythweb/tv/list?time=1207590300#anchor2
now shows channel data for
2.1 KTVUHD, 4.2 KRON-HD, 7.1 KGO-DT, and 11.1 KNTV-HD, but no luck for
5.1 KPIX DT (19572), 9.1 KQED-HD (53122) (which I both care about), and
other channels like 36.1 KICU-HD

Now, for 5.1 KPIX DT, I think I can cheat, give it the same XMLID as 5 KPIX
and use tuner input preference to have myth record from the HD version
(although I don't see why schedules direct doesn't have data for KPIX HD)

But 9.1 KQED-HD is not the same as 9 KQED, so how do I get data for that?

As a bonus question, what is my quickest way to delete channels 84#0 to
119#9 without having to click on all of them one per one in
http://mythtv/mythweb/settings/channels
(maybe there is a quicker command line way, or some web trick that will let
me select over a hundred delete buttons in the page above?)

Re: How to map digital channels -> No KPIX DT or KQED-HD [ In reply to ]
Marc MERLIN wrote:

>> Marc,
>> Brad is right, the XMLTV IDs are the important part. You very likely may
>> have to edit those channels by hand (not too hard). I find the easiest
>> way for me is to go to Live TV, watch each channel and edit them from
>> there. For example, for your first one, KTVU: watch that channel. Hit
>
> Thanks for the details.
> Once I did the mapping, an even quicker way is to use mythweb:
> http://mythtv/mythweb/settings/channels
>
>> 'E'. Go down to the field that says XMLTV ID (it probably just says
>> SchedulesDirect lineup website and try to find that channel in your
>> listings (like you said the channel numbers are all wacky). Hover over
>
> For some, it was unclear whhich one to take between KQEDDT1,2,3,4,5, until
> I figured out that XXXDT was X.1, and XXXDT2 was X.2 and so forth...
>
> So, that would make 705 KPIXDT (xml ID 19572), my 5.1 channel, or the HD
> version of KPIX 5.
> This worked for 2/3rds of the channles, but not all (after rerunning
> mythfilldatabase of course)
> http://mythtb/mythweb/tv/list?time=1207590300#anchor2
> now shows channel data for
> 2.1 KTVUHD, 4.2 KRON-HD, 7.1 KGO-DT, and 11.1 KNTV-HD, but no luck for
> 5.1 KPIX DT (19572), 9.1 KQED-HD (53122) (which I both care about), and
> other channels like 36.1 KICU-HD
>
> Now, for 5.1 KPIX DT, I think I can cheat, give it the same XMLID as 5 KPIX
> and use tuner input preference to have myth record from the HD version
> (although I don't see why schedules direct doesn't have data for KPIX HD)

I happen to be in SF, so I can tell you these xmltvid's:
5.1 19572
9.1 24344
9.2 30507
9.3 35278
9.4 34168
9.5 34116

I get guide data for all of these. Make sure they are in fact selected
in your schedules direct lineup.

> But 9.1 KQED-HD is not the same as 9 KQED, so how do I get data for that?
>
> As a bonus question, what is my quickest way to delete channels 84#0 to
> 119#9 without having to click on all of them one per one in
> http://mythtv/mythweb/settings/channels
> (maybe there is a quicker command line way, or some web trick that will let
> me select over a hundred delete buttons in the page above?)

1. BACK UP YOUR DATABASE
2. mysql> DELETE FROM channel WHERE channum BETWEEN 84.0 AND 119.9;

This comes with all the usual warnings of not messing with your database
manually and not taking advice to do it because you might screw
something else up, etc, etc.