Mailing List Archive

mythmusic visualizations seem to be crashing me
Really odd, I installed and compiled MythNusic fine,
and ran it fine through xwindows from another
workstation, visualizations and all, no problems.

When I fire it up on the mythfrontend running on the
TV though, it runs for a few seconds, makes strange
high squeaks and then crashes, occasionally freezing
the entire computer, requiring a reboot.

MythTv seems to be working pretty well.

Running RH9, with a vanilla kernel I downloaded and
recompiled. Soundblaster Audigy, Alsa drivers, GeForce
Mx440 SE.

The only thing I can think of is the Nvidia driver is
crashing on the visualizations. Anyone seen anything
like that?

thanks
Guy

http://sbc.yahoo.com
Re: mythmusic visualizations seem to be crashing me [ In reply to ]
Thus spake guy bayes:
> Running RH9, with a vanilla kernel I downloaded and
> recompiled. Soundblaster Audigy, Alsa drivers, GeForce
> Mx440 SE.
>
> The only thing I can think of is the Nvidia driver is
> crashing on the visualizations. Anyone seen anything
> like that?

I've got a GeForce4 MX 440 on my machine (hooked up to a 27" TV), and I
haven't had X crash on me yet... I left mythmusic playing with Goom in
fullscreen for about 4 hours this afternoon, without problems. What
version of the nvidia drivers are you using? (4349 here) Have you
ensured that the nvidia OpenGL libraries are in place, and the Mesa
versions aren't lingering around?

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

While man's desires and aspirations stir he cannot choose but err. -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Re: mythmusic visualizations seem to be crashing me [ In reply to ]
i am on 4363 of the nvidia driver, but i have not
downloaded any special nvidia libraries. Do i need to?

thanks Nathan
Guy

http://sbc.yahoo.com
Re: mythmusic visualizations seem to be crashing me [ In reply to ]
Thus spake guy bayes:
> i am on 4363 of the nvidia driver, but i have not
> downloaded any special nvidia libraries. Do i need to?

Yeah, you'll need to have both the NVIDIA_kernel stuff, *and* the
NVIDIA_GLX stuff... the nvidia-glx stuff replaces the Mesa GL libraries
with NVidia's version. Without installing that, anything that uses
OpenGL could either end up using software rendering, just plain not
work, or make things crash in new and interesting ways.
You can find the various packages for the 4363 drivers here:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4363/

(If all else fails, just get the .tar.gz)

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

"The monster can destroy everything with its tongue." "*You* try saying
that without laughing." -Japanese General/Crow. #304
Re: mythmusic visualizations seem to be crashing me [ In reply to ]

n> Thus spake guy bayes:
>> i am on 4363 of the nvidia driver, but i have not
>> downloaded any special nvidia libraries. Do i need to?

n> Yeah, you'll need to have both the NVIDIA_kernel stuff, *and* the
n> NVIDIA_GLX stuff... the nvidia-glx stuff replaces the Mesa GL libraries
n> with NVidia's version. Without installing that, anything that uses
n> OpenGL could either end up using software rendering, just plain not
n> work, or make things crash in new and interesting ways.
n> You can find the various packages for the 4363 drivers here:
n> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-4363/

But if he used nVidia's installer (the ".run" file), he should
have both packages installed already.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
Re: mythmusic visualizations seem to be crashing me [ In reply to ]
Ok so i checked through to nvidia docs, all the
drivers and libraries seem to be installed and linked
correctly.

Nvidia/OpenGl seems to work pretty well on it's own.

Audigy/Alsa/Mplayer seems to work well on it's own.

When I run them both at the same time, blammo, hard
lockup in a dew seconds. I can reproduce this
reliably running glxgear and any song through mplayer.

any ideas?
Guy

http://sbc.yahoo.com
Re: mythmusic visualizations seem to be crashing me [ In reply to ]
Thus spake guy bayes:
> When I run them both at the same time, blammo, hard
> lockup in a dew seconds. I can reproduce this
> reliably running glxgear and any song through mplayer.

Hrmm. What about using something like mpg123/mpg321 to play something
while glxgears is running? I suppose there's always a chance there's
some weirdness with the NVidia driver and ALSA... I'm using OSS with my
sblive.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Theology is but our ideas of truth classified and arranged. -Henry Ward
Beecher