Mailing List Archive

more updates...Pundit/MythFE distro
A quick update before my brain oozes out my ears... (it's been a
LOOOOOOOOONG day);

My distribution is functionally complete. It contains the following
components:

busybox-0.60.5
tinylogin-1.4
udhcp-0.9.8
openssh-3.6p1/openssl-0.9.7b
rsync-2.5.6
lirc-0.6.6
libirman-0.4.2
tnftp-2.0-beta1
zlib-1.1.4
kernel 2.5.70 (stock)
xfree86-4.3.0 (with Thomas Winischhoffer's latest X drivers)
mythfrontend 0.8 (yes, 0.8 - I've got a bunch of shows that I want to
watch before I upgrade, don't want to risk losing anything)

openssh, openssl, and rsync are for my own development needs; they'll be
pulled before I send out a beta.

The kernel is currently monolithic and is pretty bare-bones; I have
support for SOME extra devices (usb storage, usb networking) as well as
some unstable entries like ACPI support.

I am running the system off of an IDE-> CF adapter; boot time is approx
18 seconds from power on to mythfrontend availability. I'm currently
sitting at about 50 MB (uncompressed!!!) on a 64 MB CF card.

I haven't gone through the dependencies closely yet, I'm sure that there
is lots of excess baggage in this install.

Kernel is monolithic (right now) for a couple of reasons: first, busybox
0.60.5 has issues loading 2.5 kernel modules, and second, I want the
bugger to boot up as fast as possible. 2.5.70 has better support for
the components on the Pundit's motherboard than 2.4.20 does.

4-in-1 card reader is still non-functional, as is SPDIF in/out. This is
no big deal for me, but may be for others.

I'm still having problems with the broadcom nic drivers; I think there's
an outdated or otherwise funky dependency in my build environment (RH9)
that's messing things up - I am seeing the same behavior on the
ASUS-supplied driver that I see with the bcm4400 driver that ships with
the 2.5 kernel. USB nic is working fine, RTL8139 card in PCI slot works
but is DOG SLOW (~30kbps). ANY SUGGESTIONS on how to resolve this are
VERY welcome.

Still needs some spit -n- polish before I'll be comfortable shipping it
out for testing; hopefully I'll have something ready by next weekend
(but don't hold me to that <g>)

Urgh....tired. As always, comments and questions are welcome.

== Steve