Mailing List Archive

Increase Disk Performance
Just a quick tip I thought I'd pass along. Mounting your video
partition with the noatime option can help increase disk performance,
especially for ext3 and other journaling file systems. This option will
prevent the system from updating the access time for files when you
access them. When journaling is enabled, this creates more writes for
the drive then just one per file access. The little bit of stuttering I
did have went away when I remounted the file system with the noatime
option.

This may not be for everyone, depending on what other data may be stored
on the same file system. There may be software you are running that
uses atime. An example is some caching proxy servers (not squid though)
and PHP's default session files both use this information for expiring
stuff.

--
Michael Greb <mikegrb@yahoo.com