Mailing List Archive

HW configuration sanity check
I'm a longtime lurker who is finally getting ready to
take the plunge with .9. Before I start assembling
the pieces, I wanted to get a sanity check from the
group on my planned system.

It will be a combo front/back end box with a single
tuner. I would like to be able to do high resolution
captures, but would normally only do 640x480 captures.
I'm planning to run Debian.

Anyway, the specs for the system I'm building are:

Asus Pundit case, mobo, PS: $179 (newegg.com)
Celeron 1.7 Ghz.: $55 (pricewatch.com)
256 MB PC2100 RAM: $23 (pricewatch.com)
160 MB Maxtor DiamondMax 7200RPM: $70 (Staples.com)
Prolink Play TV Pro FM RC TV Tuner 64MB Model
TV-BT878P+FM/RC: $43 (newegg.com)

Total: $370 for a nice looking, reasonably quiet box
with plenty of disk space.

My biggest concern is that I have not seen many people
on the list using the Prolink Play TV Pro card even
though it is cheap and based on the bt878 chip. (and
includes remote) Has anyone had problems with this
card?

Any other gotcha's that I'm overlooking? Will the
Prolink card fit in the not quite full height PCI
slots in the Pundit?

Thanks for your help and thanks to everyone who has
contributed to the project. It's very impressive
achievement.

-Peter