Mailing List Archive

Playing MP3/VideoCD right from CD-ROM drive
Sorry if it's RTFM topic, but I would like to ask the community.

Is there way to play MP3's directly from CD-ROM drive. (VideoCD as well)

Thanks.

Gennady Yakubovich

Software Engineer

CISCO SYSTEMS

32 HaMelacha st.,

P.O.Box 8735 I.Z. Sapir

S.Netanya 42504 Israel

Phone: +972-9-8927349

Fax : +972-9-8857804
Re: Playing MP3/VideoCD right from CD-ROM drive [ In reply to ]
At 10:29 AM 6/12/2003 +0200, Gennady Yakubovich wrote:

>Sorry if it s RTFM topic, but I would like to ask the community.

The answers are pretty well known information, but I sure can't name an
actual TFM to tell you to go R. So see below.

>Is there way to play MP3 s directly from CD-ROM drive. (VideoCD as well)

The MP3 CDs I am familiar with are standard iso9660 filesystems. Just mount
the CD using the mount command (with typical stock kernels) and use any MP3
player to play the files.

VideoCD is, in practice, not a well-defined term. I've seen things called
VideoCDs that were just iso9660 filesystems with mpeg-1 files on them. If
that's what you have, see above.

Used more carefully, the terms "VideoCD" and "VCD" apply to a CD with a
special "vcdfs" filesystem on it. I've never used any of them myself, but
there are Linux apps that allege that they will play true VCDs, and a vcdfs
application that lets you mount these disks as filesystems, given the right
kernel support (oyu need userfs, it says).

See the rather old http://vcdmaster.sourceforge.net/ project for some more
details. Or try the mtv project at http://www.mpegtv.com/download.html .
Re: Playing MP3/VideoCD right from CD-ROM drive [ In reply to ]
MPlayer has vcd support

mplayer -vcd <tracknumber>
(e.g.) mplayer -vcd 1

> Used more carefully, the terms "VideoCD" and "VCD" apply to a CD with a
> special "vcdfs" filesystem on it. I've never used any of them myself, but
> there are Linux apps that allege that they will play true VCDs, and a vcdfs
> application that lets you mount these disks as filesystems, given the right
> kernel support (oyu need userfs, it says).
>
> See the rather old http://vcdmaster.sourceforge.net/ project for some more
> details. Or try the mtv project at http://www.mpegtv.com/download.html .
James S. White GAPS Incorporated
james@gapsinc.com Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org Caffeine is my anti-drug.
How many people have to die before we put an end to dying altogether?
-- theonion.com