Mandrake Why is SuSE left out of the howto thair are
many other that run SuSE Iam running SuSE 8.2 and
would like to get it to work on my machine Iam very
new to Linux .

Cameron

=====
Cameron A Hart

http://calendar.yahoo.com
Re: How do you set it up in SuSE [ In reply to ]
tisdag 10 juni 2003 22:26 skrev Cameron Hart:
> I find that most of the the Howto are for Redhat or
> Mandrake Why is SuSE left out of the howto thair are
> many other that run SuSE Iam running SuSE 8.2 and
> would like to get it to work on my machine Iam very
> new to Linux .

Ok, I did the following ...

installed all the packages, that mythtv depends on. Some of these, do not
have rpm packages, so I just compiled them locally and installed under local.

MythTV will break, when compiling, but I configured it without 'mmx' as the
mmx code breaks severely and some of it, cannot be replaced with memory
references, instead of register references.

I forgot the file but it's msXXXX_md.c something. It complains about BREG not
being available, on line 723. I browsed to that line in the source, then
downward a little, to a line defining the parameters:

: "+b" (a)

And changed it to:

: "+m" (a)

Then compiled, and installed ... all works well.
Re: How do you set it up in SuSE [ In reply to ]
At 01:26 PM 6/10/2003 -0700, Cameron Hart wrote:
>I find that most of the the Howto are for Redhat or
>Mandrake Why is SuSE left out of the howto thair are
>many other that run SuSE Iam running SuSE 8.2 and
>would like to get it to work on my machine Iam very
>new to Linux .

There are two levels of answer to this question.

First, the things that exist in the HowTo are the things that people wrote.
People write about what they know about. I'd say that most people here
install Myth on Red Hat, Debian, Mandrake, and maybe Gentoo, so you are
more likely to see discussions of the problems peculiar to those distros in
the HowTo, and on this list, than those of less popular (for Myth) distros
such as SuSE.

Second, if you read back through today's archive of this list, you will
find a message from Isaac Richards, Myth's main developer, indicating that
he sees serious problems using SuSE for Myth. The things he's seen may have
caused others to abandon trying to use SuSE as the Linux base for Myth.
Re: How do you set it up in SuSE [ In reply to ]
In my opinion SuSE8.2 is perfectly okay for MythTV. the only two
problems I've encountered so far are the -fPIC problem (solutions have
been provided many times in this group) and the compiling problem in
goom/zoom_filter_mmx.c:63: as described by Oern Hansen in an earlier
post today (haven't yet had the time to look into this problem, I just
commented out the troublesome line). Apart from that MythTV works like a
charm on SuSE8.2. Even the sound driver provided with SuSE works perfectly.

regards, Philippe