This was not an issue with cvs from 5/25/03. I notice rebuffering
messages when I quit mythfrontend. If its a bug, hoping to get it fixed
in .9.1. Thanks
Re: Mythtv.9 - increased choppiness of video/ dropped frames [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 04:19 pm, cmisip wrote:
> Just upgraded last night to .9. I noticed that I seem to have very
> noticeable frame drops and video jerkiness especially when there are 2
> recording sessions going on. Has the system requirements increased ?
> This was not an issue with cvs from 5/25/03. I notice rebuffering
> messages when I quit mythfrontend. If its a bug, hoping to get it fixed
> in .9.1. Thanks

Nothing of importance changed in that time period.

Isaac
Re: Mythtv.9 - increased choppiness of video/ dropped frames [ In reply to ]
I wonder if its the kernel upgrade to the latest redhat kernel. I notice
a message in dmesg that I dont remember seeing before with regards to
btaudio
btaudio: using card config "default"

Does anybody know what this means?

Re: Mythtv.9 - increased choppiness of video/ [ In reply to ]
> I wonder if its the kernel upgrade to the latest redhat kernel. I notice
> a message in dmesg that I dont remember seeing before with regards to
> btaudio
> btaudio: using card config "default"

I wish I had kept better track of what I changed<->when I
noticed problems. I upgraded to 0.9 last night and was having very jerky
video, pretty much unbearable. This is with 2.4.21-rc5. Since I was
playing with sound drivers ( I thought that might be causing the
problem - I keep switching between OSS/Free-OSS-Alsa trying to get
onboard sound to work), I was switching between kernels and it seems
like when I went back to the stock RedHat 9 kernel, the problem went
away. However, when I went back to 2.4.21-rc5 later in the evening (very
late I might add, so foggy recolection) the problem was gone. I *think*
I might have been playing around in /etc/modules.conf and noticed that I
had debug=2 on an options line for either bttv or btaudio or both. I
remember thinking, "Huh, probably don't need that" and that might be
when the problem went away. I could try adding it back in when I am
home.

-poul
Re: Mythtv.9 - increased choppiness of video/ dropped frames [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 06:27 pm, cmisip wrote:
> I wonder if its the kernel upgrade to the latest redhat kernel. I notice
> a message in dmesg that I dont remember seeing before with regards to
> btaudio
> btaudio: using card config "default"
>
> Does anybody know what this means?

Take a look at the source code for the btaudio driver; you'll see that it's
standard verbage... nothing to worry about. There are (last time I checked)
only two possibilities for 'card config' in btaudio... 'default', and one
other for a specific card that escapes me at the moment, I think.

This message was likely getting generated before, you just didn't notice.

-JAC
Re: Mythtv.9 - increased choppiness of video/ dropped frames [ In reply to ]
Thanks, you are right. I checked the output from dnesg after I
reinstalled my ghost backup with the old kernel version to try to see if
a return to the older kernel would help. The message was there also.