Or if you have other experiences with other case manufacturers, please
pass them on.

-Matt
Re: modded cases [ In reply to ]
At 09:33 PM 6/8/03 -0400, Matt wrote:
>Has anyone bought the "modded" version of the ATX Black Low-Profile
>Desktop Case from
>http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Cases/ci6011.asp
>??
>
>The modded version is ~$30 more (sells for $99) and they claims to be more
>"soundproof"

Soundproof is probably an overstatement, but "more" soundproof seems
reasonable. I got the modded version and I'm pretty happy with it. I
think it's still louder than I expected it to be, but given that this was
the only one that had *any* kind of extra soundproofing, I think it's
probably about as good as I could find short of going with some bizarre
liquid cooling thing. Someone else may think otherwise of course ;-)

What constitutes the mod is a quieter fan in the power supply, a quiet
bearing fan blowing across the MB area, and some sound dampening material
across the top and sides of the removable part of the case. I also got a
MB with a higher quality, quieter cooling fan on the CPU, and my video card
doesn't have a fan.

I *did* have to stretch the power cable for the case fan blowing across the
MB area, but that's because the MB I ended up with (an ECS K7S7A2) isn't
the version with all the "optional" stuff (something not completely clear
from the site I bought it from), and a second case fan header on the corner
nearest the fan is apparently optional.

Hope this helps.
Re: modded cases [ In reply to ]
I bought this case for my PVR. I am quite satisfied with it. Combined
with a Zalman's CPU cooler and quiet hard drive, my PVR is very quiet.
For comparison, it is quieter than my XBox.

IF

--
Isaac W. Foraker, Software Engineer
http://tazthecat.net/~isaac/
Re: modded cases [ In reply to ]
>>Has anyone bought the "modded" version of the ATX Black Low-Profile
>>Desktop Case from
>>http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Cases/ci6011.asp
>>??
>>
>>The modded version is ~$30 more (sells for $99) and they claims to be more
>>"soundproof"

I bought this case, and it just arrived a couple of days ago. Haven't
actually powered the thing up yet, but I have one quick question for whoever
has bought it (sorry, I know it's off topic, but since the discussion was
started anyway...): do you have any idea how to reliably put two hard drives
in the case?

There are 2x3.5 inch bays, but it's a VERY tight fit. The hard drives are
practically touching each other. It seems to me that putting two hard drives
so close together is just begging for heat failures. Am I overreacting here?

I guess I can always mount the drive in one of the 5.25 inch bays...

Thanks,

Desmond

Re: modded cases [ In reply to ]
In our last episode entitled 'Re: [mythtv-users] modded cases', Desmond Rivet wrote:
> I bought this case, and it just arrived a couple of days ago. Haven't
> actually powered the thing up yet, but I have one quick question for
> whoever has bought it (sorry, I know it's off topic, but since the
> discussion was started anyway...): do you have any idea how to reliably put
> two hard drives in the case?
>
> There are 2x3.5 inch bays, but it's a VERY tight fit. The hard drives are
> practically touching each other. It seems to me that putting two hard
> drives so close together is just begging for heat failures. Am I
> overreacting here?
>
> I guess I can always mount the drive in one of the 5.25 inch bays...

On the right side of the case, next to the 5.25" bays, there is another
spot for a drive.

Here's a picture of mine:
http://tazthecat.net/~isaac/hec/gallery/Assembled/Case%20Assembled%202.html

Just put one on the side, and one in the middle bay, and you'll have no
heat problems, but you probably won't be able to put them on the same
IDE controller.

IF

--
Isaac W. Foraker, Software Engineer
http://tazthecat.net/~isaac/
Taxes, n.: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which
you can get an extension.
Re: modded cases [ In reply to ]
At 12:47 AM 6/11/03 +0000, Desmond Rivet wrote:

>>>Has anyone bought the "modded" version of the ATX Black Low-Profile
>>>Desktop Case from
>>>http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Cases/ci6011.asp
>>>??
>>>
>>>The modded version is ~$30 more (sells for $99) and they claims to be more
>>>"soundproof"
>
>I bought this case, and it just arrived a couple of days ago. Haven't
>actually powered the thing up yet, but I have one quick question for
>whoever has bought it (sorry, I know it's off topic, but since the
>discussion was started anyway...): do you have any idea how to reliably
>put two hard drives in the case?

The second hard drive bay is on the side (same side as the 5" bays) mounted
vertically. Very non-obvious :-)

if you still have problems finding it, email me directly and I'll take my
cover off and send you a digital photo.

>There are 2x3.5 inch bays, but it's a VERY tight fit. The hard drives are
>practically touching each other. It seems to me that putting two hard
>drives so close together is just begging for heat failures. Am I
>overreacting here?

You are 100% right.