From: "Jeremy Oddo" <joddo@apixels.net>
To: <mythtv-users@snowman.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can
Ibuild the cable?

Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can Ibuild the cable? [ In reply to ]

> My regular telephone cable will not fit inside the low speed data port.
>
> I did some searching... and my model has an RJ-22 conecctor? I'm not
> sure but thats what it looks like.

Don't know. I used the phone cord that went from the base unit to the
handset (you remember those old corded phones, right :) ) and NOT the
phone cord that goes from the base unit to the wall. Don't know if that's
what an RJ-22 is.

> Can I go to radio shack and get one of those cables and just cut off the
> end?

That's were I got mine, but they ain't cheap. I think they're $15-20US.
That's a lot for a cord your going to hack. You could do better if you
build the cable yourself but it will require a little more solder. I,
myself, am a tad lazy so I just bought a premade cable. :)

> Will the pin-outs be the same?

The pin-outs should be the same, the colors may vary. If you have a
circuit tester, trace the wires. If you don't have a circuit tester you
can jimmy-rig one with a flashlight light bulb and some wire. It'll work
but you'll look like a dork ;)

And again, read what Ray Olszewski just posted (around 3:58pm today?)
about the website we both posted. That website is worth it's weight in
gold (although it's really just light and a little bit of magnetism, so it
really doesn't weight much...so I guess it's worth more than my previous
estimates. Oh man, I'm tired. Me want sleep).

> Thanks so much for all your help!

Trust me, it's even easier than it sounds...now sending the proper codes
to your RCA receiver is a different story ;)

Jeremy