INCREDIBLE and I'm very much looking forward to using it.

At first, I thought this wasn't possible... but you can control your satellite
receiver (channels) from your PC by using a serial cable?

My receiver (an RCA, I forget model) does indeed have a "low speed data port" so
all I need to know is how to build the actual cable.

I did try searching the mailing list archives, but I couldn't really find
anything.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
At 03:25 PM 6/3/2003 -0400, John Klimek wrote:
>This is my first time posting to this mailing list... MythTV looks simply
>INCREDIBLE and I'm very much looking forward to using it.
>
>At first, I thought this wasn't possible... but you can control your satellite
>receiver (channels) from your PC by using a serial cable?

Depends on the receiver. Some yes, some no. A data port is a necessary
condition, but not a sufficient one.

>My receiver (an RCA, I forget model) does indeed have a "low speed data
>port" so
>all I need to know is how to build the actual cable.

I doubt it. Unless, that is, you already know know the serial port settings
(baud rate, stop bits, parity ... the usual stuff) and the actual codes
that need to be transmitted.

In any case, you'll need to find out the model number. Also tell us what
the port looks like (standard 9-pin serial? RJ-45 (like an Ethernet port)?
RJ-11 (like a phone line)? something else?)

One long shot -- a crude Web search turned up a Snapstream package for
controlling RCA DirecTv satellite receivers, specifically "RCA Model
#4XXXX". It includes the right kind of cable to attach to an RJ-11 port on
the RCA end. You might see f that is what you need. Reference is
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/snapstreammedia/rcadirbun.html

Also see this site:

http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

If they don't help ...

If it is a 9-pin port, the only real question is whether it is wired DTE or
DCE. I've never seen this answered for ANY cable box, so I suppose you'll
have to find out by testing. Just search Google for serial-port pinouts to
find the 2 relevant wiring diagrams.

If it is an RJ-45 ... I know of no standard pin assignment for them. If you
can't locate documentation for the box, experimenting to get the pinouts
will be a challenge.

If it's something else ... who knows? (Except for old DB-25s, and I doubt
it is that.)

>I did try searching the mailing list archives, but I couldn't really find
>anything.

Provide all the detail you can. Including if there is any information about
using teh box with a TiVo or any other commercial product ... what does
your cable company *say* the port is for?

Figuring this stuff out is a bit like a scavanger hunt. Finding actual docs
for the box is improbable, so you need to piece the relevant details
together. You won't find a cookbook for this anywhere.
Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
I missed the first part of the thread, but it sounds like you're making
this WAY more complex than it should be. Check this out:

http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

Jeremy

Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
At 01:37 PM 6/3/2003 -0700, Jeremy Oddo wrote:
>I missed the first part of the thread, but it sounds like you're making
>this WAY more complex than it should be. Check this out:
>
>http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

Jeremy ... I hate to sound like a grump, but apparently you missed the
second part of the thread as well. This is one of the two URLs I refer John
(the original poster) to, in the material you quoted in your reply (but
that I've snipped here).

What makes his question complex is is not me; it is his not knowing the
model number of his receiver and his not describing its data port. So in
case he has a model that this (or the Snapstream) solution will not work
with, I just told him what else he might do.

>Jeremy

[old stuff deleted]
Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
Ah, I get it. 'Course, most (all) of the new-ish RCA DirecTV receivers
probably function about the same. He can do what I did...take 2 minutes
and make the serial->RJ11 cable, plug it in, and send it some commands.
Fast and easy to test.

Jeremy

Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the help guys.

The receiver I have is an RCA DRD430RG. On the back it has a "low speed
data" port.

What exactly do I need to purchase? I've built Super Nintendo LPT adapters
so I'm familar with DB25 adapters and such.

I'm assuming I need a DB9F (9-pin female connector) connector and a regular
RJ45 connector.

What I'm confused about is which pin goes to which color on the RJ45
connector.

Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
John Klimek said:
> Thanks for the help guys.
>
> The receiver I have is an RCA DRD430RG. On the back it has a "low speed
> data" port.

Am at work and can't see which box I have, but it's probably close in
model number to yours....

> What exactly do I need to purchase? I've built Super Nintendo LPT
> adapters so I'm familar with DB25 adapters and such.
>
> I'm assuming I need a DB9F (9-pin female connector) connector and a
> regular RJ45 connector.
>
> What I'm confused about is which pin goes to which color on the RJ45
> connector.

OK, this is what I did to slap something together *quickly* to test it
out. I got a 9pin serial extention cable, cut one end off, got an old
phone cord, cut one end off, stripped wires and solders as below:

Serial Pins RJ-11 Pins
----------- ----------
5 1
2 2
3 4

To find which wire is which, I used a circuit tester--took a minute or so.
Of course, if you don't have a tester, it's a little harder :) If you
need the actual COLORS, I can tell you tonight when I get home (if I still
have my crib sheet laying around). I *think* the color codes are
standard.

Let me know if that helps.

Jeremy
Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
The URL that Jeremy and I both pointed you to (http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/)
has a chart that lists the DRD430RG as one of the models its instructions
work for. If that is the case, you have an RJ-11 jack (4 contacts), not an
RJ-45 (8 contacts). So you need an RJ-11 to DE-9 (what you're calling a
DB-9) cable or adapter.

1. You can wire one yourself if your skills are up to it (it sounds like
they are). Note that this site provides 2 color-code keys, suggesting that
RJ-11 colors are not completely standard.

2. The site lists one for sale for $US16, shipping included.

3. The Snapstream site I previously supplied also has a $US20 (+shipping)
kit that includes the cable, plus audio and video cables. I caanot be
certain that this cable is the same pinouts, but Snapstream is competetn,
so the thing is likely to work.

There is a lot more helpful info at this site, including Windows-based
freeware apps, with source, to control the DirecTV satellite box over the
serial port.

Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
Ok, RJ-45 is ethernet (CAT-5) ? and RJ-11 is regular telephone cable?

If so, RJ-11 does NOT fit into the jack. The jack takes a smaller cable...

Re: DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable? [ In reply to ]
John Klimek said:
> Ok, RJ-45 is ethernet (CAT-5) ? and RJ-11 is regular telephone cable?
>
> If so, RJ-11 does NOT fit into the jack. The jack takes a smaller
> cable...

Right. I used the cable that goes from the handset to the base unit, not
the one that goes from base unit to the wall. It the coily cable :)

Jeremy