Mailing List Archive

Pundit vs xbox frontend, tracking down jitters
I need another frontend setup for my downstairs TV, I really like how
the xbox frontend turned out, but I've been seeing quite a few posts on
the Pundit setup. What's the end cost on the pundit running? It's
costing me 260 $ for the xbox + remote + modchip per setup.

I have not yet bothered to setup the remote, but others have done it, so
I should be able to get configs from them, can the pundit come close in
cost? Or will i get any extra features with the pundit vs the xbox?

The only annoying thing on the xbox, is the intel8x0 sound card, I have
jitter problems with the sound, on both my frontends, backend is
currently a dual cpu 400mhz with 180gb drive for video only, I suppose
the jitter could be from the slow backend, is there any easy way to
narrow down the source? Both machines have the intel8x0 cards, mplayer
works well on both, but mythfrontend has jitter problems, that appear to
be only sound related, but difficult to tell. Turning on aggressive
sound buffering doesnt seem to affect the problem, /dev/dsp and
/dev/dsp0 both have the same problem, I leave the encoding at the
default 704x480, using 2 PVR250's one per backend, someday I'll upgrade
the backend, but it's so stable I dont like messing with it.

Using CSV's as of today, debian on xbox with redhat9 on the 2 backends,
any sugestions on the jitter? I'm hoping it's something simple I'm
overlooking.

Thanks in advance Mega
Re: Pundit vs xbox frontend, tracking down jitters [ In reply to ]
i'd like a bit more info about your xbox frontend.. which modchip are
you using? your setup sounds very similar to what i'm looking into.
I've got a single pvr-250 running on a p4 2.4 right now, but i'm
wanting to drop some xboxes in for the frontend work. Just haven't
decided to actually bite the bullet and do it yet.

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 06:23:07PM -0400, MegaDeTH wrote:
> I need another frontend setup for my downstairs TV, I really like how
> the xbox frontend turned out, but I've been seeing quite a few posts on
> the Pundit setup. What's the end cost on the pundit running? It's
> costing me 260 $ for the xbox + remote + modchip per setup.
>
> I have not yet bothered to setup the remote, but others have done it, so
> I should be able to get configs from them, can the pundit come close in
> cost? Or will i get any extra features with the pundit vs the xbox?
>
> The only annoying thing on the xbox, is the intel8x0 sound card, I have
> jitter problems with the sound, on both my frontends, backend is
> currently a dual cpu 400mhz with 180gb drive for video only, I suppose
> the jitter could be from the slow backend, is there any easy way to
> narrow down the source? Both machines have the intel8x0 cards, mplayer
> works well on both, but mythfrontend has jitter problems, that appear to
> be only sound related, but difficult to tell. Turning on aggressive
> sound buffering doesnt seem to affect the problem, /dev/dsp and
> /dev/dsp0 both have the same problem, I leave the encoding at the
> default 704x480, using 2 PVR250's one per backend, someday I'll upgrade
> the backend, but it's so stable I dont like messing with it.
>
> Using CSV's as of today, debian on xbox with redhat9 on the 2 backends,
> any sugestions on the jitter? I'm hoping it's something simple I'm
> overlooking.
>
> Thanks in advance Mega

Kirby Vandivort Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: kvandivo@ks.uiuc.edu 3051 Beckman Institute
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~kvandivo/ University of Illinois
Phone: (217) 244-5711 405 N. Mathews Ave
Fax : (217) 244-6078 Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Re: Pundit vs xbox frontend, tracking down jitters [ In reply to ]
Using the X-ecuter2 pro chips, I wanted a X-ecuter2 lite, as it's preflashed with the legal Linux bios,
but they were all out, the pro works very well, but the lite is cheaper, and does what I need.

Both pro & lite have the dip switches to disable the bios, my wife still plays pacman on the xbox.

The jittering problem I'm having is due to flaws in the pvr250 audio I believe, I found 1 post on it,
on the ivtv list, but no solution so far, seems mplayer handles the flaws better than myth (myth locks/studders sometimes).

l8r mega

Re: Pundit vs xbox frontend, tracking down jitters [ In reply to ]
Also, if your going to do it, this is the step by step install
directions for the current debian, I had a few hickups on includes and
sources for the debs, working well now, I wasnt used to working with
debian, RH/Slack put things in different locations, and it was my first
time with apt-get, also note, xbox libs are slightly different, standard
libs wont install, you have to use the xbox dist site.

setup xbox (boot debian install cd)
defaults on extra 2 gig space (if you have 10gb drive)
download mythtv csv
add following line to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu:8088/~mdz/debian woody lame
apt-get update
apt-get install lame
apt-get install liblame-dev