Thanks for the help (i posted about this earlier but its 30 hours later and
its still grinding away)

Justin
Re: Myth music questions... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 01 June 2003 08:31 pm, Justin Hunt wrote:
> I am still waiting for my approx 10gb's of mp3's to finish loading via a
> samba share (on 10/100 network between a 1.7ghz p4 and athlon 2400xp) its
> been goin for well over 24 hours with the version available at the website.
> I am wondering if i update myth music to the latest cvs, but still run myth
> 0.8 will that run... will it speed this up a little bit cause its a bit
> rediculous for 2000mp3's
>
> Thanks for the help (i posted about this earlier but its 30 hours later and
> its still grinding away)

Amazingly enough, you still have the exact same 3 options I mentioned in my
response to your _first_ email about this exact issue.

> You can either:
> - Contribute a patch to speed up the length calculation for mp3 files.
> - Switch to oggs.
> - Wait for it to finish.
>
> I'd prefer the first option, but no-one else has done this, and I don't use
> mp3 files.

Isaac
Re: Myth music questions... [ In reply to ]
On Monday 02 June 2003 12:31 am, Justin Hunt wrote:
> I am still waiting for my approx 10gb's of mp3's to finish loading via a
> samba share (on 10/100 network between a 1.7ghz p4 and athlon 2400xp) its
> been goin for well over 24 hours with the version available at the website.

This doesn't sound quite right .... if you know anything about mysql/SQL,
you may want to connect to the database and see if it's actually still adding
entries.

> I am wondering if i update myth music to the latest cvs, but still run myth
> 0.8 will that run...

You could build the cvs version and then only install the libraries, but cvs
of all of Myth is pretty stable.

The "right way" to solve this is for someone who understands the mp3 encoding
format to write a relatively tiny amount of code. If no-one else get around
to it I'll probably do it eventually.

- thor
Re: Myth music questions... [ In reply to ]
What kind of network is the Samaba share on? WiFi, 10Mbps or 100Mbps? Even a
100Mbps network could seriously impact how much time this takes versus a DMA
133 hard disk. I have 30GB of mp3s and it certainly didn't take more than an
hour (more like 30-40 minutes) to scan them. Granted, even that is a long
time, but if it's taking you >30hrs then I think it's time to ditch the
network mount.

-JAC

Re: Myth music questions... [ In reply to ]
its all connected at 100mbps and thers only like 10gbs of files... ill look
at the mysql db later on, but i dunno its not using the full network
bandwith (u can tell when it is ... ) i could really just copy them over to
the myth box but it only has 20gb's of space itself... not to mention it has
no problem recording to the samba share without dropping frames!

Justin

Re: Myth music questions... [ In reply to ]
It's been mentioned on the lists before, but verify that your machine
isn't dead. Well, mine isn't 'dead' when I attempt what you're talking
about (but I'm doing about 40Gigs worth), but the machine becomes very
unresponsive, CPU utlization is maxed, and the machine is so slow to respond
that there's a 5 second delay between pressing numlock and having the
numlock LED come on. Apparently it's a problem with the parsing of some
filenames, reading the id3 tag of the files, or calculating the
length/bitrate of each file.

If you're not using CVS, you might give it a whirl. It has the option
to not check id3 tags, which might be a little quicker for you.

You can always start another instance of the frontend and use it while
the second one grinds away in the background.