Mailing List Archive

saa7134 - works on xawtv, mythbackend gives errors
(Resending earlier mail that didn't make it through. Sorry if you see a
duplicate.)

I get this error from mythbackend:

Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
channel '0' has no tuner (composite)
VIDIOCMCAPTUREi0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTUREi1: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE1: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCMCAPTURE1: Invalid argument
...etc, loops...

I am using the saa7134 module and v4l2 and mythtv 0.8 under Debian
stable. xawtv works fine. I populated the database with TV channels
from Beverley Hills (since 90210 is the only American zip code I know)
due to lack of an Australian option, but I wouldn't have thought that
would stop the program from even starting.

What might be wrong?

TIA

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy@Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)
Re: saa7134 - works on xawtv, mythbackend gives errors [ In reply to ]
Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

>Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
>channel '0' has no tuner (composite)
>VIDIOCMCAPTUREi0: Invalid argument

Try to make sure that the "start channel" of the Tuner input is correct
(and tunable). It is a channel number.
Re: saa7134 - works on xawtv, mythbackend gives errors [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:18:03 +0200, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
>> channel '0' has no tuner (composite)
>> VIDIOCMCAPTUREi0: Invalid argument
>>

> Try to make sure that the "start channel" of the Tuner input is
> correct (and tunable). It is a channel number.

Cool, that mostly fixed it. However, I also found that I had to run
mythbackend as root (although /dev/dsp should have been readable and
writable by my mythtv user, so I don't know what the problem was).
Audio is *really* bad quality compared to passing through the sound card
like xawtv does, but I guess that's a hardware limitation.

Couple of very minor questions though:

* Does anyone have a suggestion of how to remove the GNOME panel and
window decorations from the TV window under GNOME 1.4 and IceWM?

* Whenever I go into the Weather application, it shows me the setup
screen. This is even after I have already set it up.

Also a suggestion:

* There should be the ability to manually record, without having to
select a program from the program guide. Since I don't have XMLTV for
Australia, I would much prefer just to be able to say "record this
until I tell you to stop", or "record for the next hour", or "record
from 8:30 until 9:30 tonight". I mean, my VCR can do that easily so
why not MythTV?

Re: Re: saa7134 - works on xawtv, mythbackend gives errors [ In reply to ]
Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

>Cool, that mostly fixed it.

great.

>(although /dev/dsp should have been readable and
>writable by my mythtv user, so I don't know what the problem was).

The backend runs as account "mythtv" for me.

>Audio is *really* bad quality compared to passing through the sound card
>like xawtv does, but I guess that's a hardware limitation.

No, I also have a saa7134 card and it works relatively well for me
(modulo the mp3 compression, I guess). I had a hard time get audio
working, though, see a post by me on the list(s) some time ago, search
for "saa7134".

>* Does anyone have a suggestion of how to remove the GNOME panel and
> window decorations from the TV window under GNOME 1.4 and IceWM?

Use another window manager, e.g. blackbox.

>* There should be the ability to manually record, without having to
> select a program from the program guide.

Feature added to CVS version.

>Since I don't have XMLTV for Australia

Somebody on the xmltv-dev list just volunteered to write one :).
Re: Re: saa7134 - works on xawtv, mythbackend gives errors [ In reply to ]
Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> * There should be the ability to manually record, without having to
> select a program from the program guide. Since I don't have XMLTV for
> Australia, I would much prefer just to be able to say "record this
> until I tell you to stop", or "record for the next hour", or "record
> from 8:30 until 9:30 tonight". I mean, my VCR can do that easily so
> why not MythTV?

Yes. Schedule Recordings->Manual Recording. Although it
doesn't have a start time feature.

-- bjm