mute. So that is pretty useless, is there some other way to mute linein? Is
this why OSS drivers don't work?

In terms of drivers I tried ALSA and my Audigy EMU10K2 chipset isn't
supported as of yet, so I tried to get the EMU10K1 (project on sourceforge)
from the site's and their CVS won't let me login, the project looks like its
dead I dont know how they added support for all the new creative cards when
it hasnt been modified this year. So in terms of drivers I'm stuck with OSS
I guess, I might have through the cheapo sound card in there.

Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
> Ok I'm kinda lost when it comes to setting up this audio for myth. Is there
> any way of figuring out which input to set in setup for the capture card? I
> mean I have things like /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp1, /dev/dspW, /dev/sound/dsp,
> etc. Likewise how do I know which one to use for playback? People keep
> saying to use the btaudio drivers for inputting into the Wintv 401 capture
> card, but what input would that be, i'm so lost.
>
> My main problem is when I'm in KMix and I select my line in for recording
> (as I hear audio on that input), and then I select mute, and it does not
> mute. So that is pretty useless, is there some other way to mute linein? Is
> this why OSS drivers don't work?

The main reason to use ALSA drivers is that many (all?) OSS
drivers are *NOT* full-duplex. What "full-duplex" means is that you can
both write to and read from /dev/dsp. So, if you have a full-duplex
audio driver, you would capture and play back to /dev/dsp. This is why
you mute the Line-IN. If you don't mute it, your mixer will mix the
Line-IN channel into the sound output. At the same time, mythtv will be
recording the Line-IN and then playing it back, so you'll get double
sound.

If you use btaudio (modprobe btaudio), it will send the output
on a different dsp device. In order to determine what device it is using,
try typing:

dmesg | grep dsp

You should see a line that says something like

btaudio0: [other stuff] using /dev/dsp2 [digital]
btaudio0: [other stuff] using /dev/dsp3 [analog]

Or something like that, I can't get into my box to cut and
paste. Anyways, that /dev/dsp2 (or whatever yours would be) is where you
would capture the audio from. Notice that if you load btaudio *before*
your sound driver, then btaudio will probably take /dev/dsp and your
sound card will get some other dsp device, so be wary of the order you
load these modules (you can do some magic with post-install and
pre-install in /etc/modules.conf to make sure the order goes the way you
want).

-poul
Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
That helps a lot actually thx, but a few more q's:
I loaded the btaudio driver with modprobe btaudio and it gave me digital
dsp2 & analog dsp3
So I set up recording for dsp2 (should it be dig or analog?), but my
question is do I have to specify any muting or recording options in Kmix? Or
does myth just pull audio and video off the capture card as long as its
using btaudio? I'm just trying to figure this out, and I'm fiddiling with
Kmix with no prevail. Also is there anyway to figure out which dev is the
line out from the soundcard, and should I use the internal mixer in myth?

Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
Take a look at the output from dmesg and grep for "dsp". It should probably
tell you which driver got which device.

And no, you don't need to play with any mixer setting for btaudio's /dev/dsp2.

-JAC

Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
Ok I loaded the btaudio driver on bootup, and selected it to record through
dsp3 [analog]. The only problem is now the audio is high pitched and starts
and stops spiraticaly (the chipmunk effect). Obviously that would have to do
with the frequency, but where and to what should I set that too? I tried all
the frequencies on the myth setup where you define the capture card but they
dont seam to affect it? Any ideas?

Ohya and I also got it working both recording and playing back on dsp0,
which is my soundcard full duplex without asla, but after a few minutes it
crashes the backend with a segfault so I'm trying to get the btaudio method
working.

Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
nm, just had to reboot after I set it up in the btaudio properties in the
control panel :-) Now I have to figure out how to start all this stuff up
when linux loads and I'll be set :-P

Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 31 May 2003 12:43 am, Chris Germano wrote:
> Ok I loaded the btaudio driver on bootup, and selected it to record through
> dsp3 [analog]. The only problem is now the audio is high pitched and starts
> and stops spiraticaly (the chipmunk effect). Obviously that would have to
> do with the frequency, but where and to what should I set that too? I tried
> all the frequencies on the myth setup where you define the capture card but
> they dont seam to affect it? Any ideas?

You should be using the digital dsp, most likely dsp2 if the analog is at
dsp3, locked to 32kHz.

Isaac
Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
Well dsp2 is digital, and dsp3 is analog. Before when I tried to use digital
I would get no sound at all, but now when I have it set to dsp2 and just
startup the frontend I get:
mythbackend: lame error '-3', exiting = crashes mythbackend
mythfrontend: select: Bad file descriptor = goes forever until i stop it

Is there any difference from analog/digital? What specifically is that
refering to, I only have one line in on the capture card and that obviously
takes in an analog signal.

Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 31 May 2003 01:19 am, Chris Germano wrote:
> Well dsp2 is digital, and dsp3 is analog. Before when I tried to use
> digital I would get no sound at all, but now when I have it set to dsp2 and
> just startup the frontend I get:
> mythbackend: lame error '-3', exiting = crashes mythbackend

I'm fairly certain that there were more errors before this that you didn't
paste in.

> mythfrontend: select: Bad file descriptor = goes forever until i stop it

Because the backend exited.

> Is there any difference from analog/digital? What specifically is that
> refering to, I only have one line in on the capture card and that obviously
> takes in an analog signal.

They're different outputs on the chip itself, not anything to do with the
physical input on the card.

Isaac
Re: Another Audio Question, I need to figure this out [ In reply to ]
I am using oss drivers from sourceforge for emu10k1. I am using the cvs
version not the latest release. Works well. I am using an SB Live 5.1
card. I know that audigy support is built into cvs only, not on the
release. I like the ability to switch on the fly what outputs I want to
use. For MythTv for example, I route output to my TV speakers. For
Mythmusic I route output to my digital speakers. If you do get it to
work, emu10k1 will use up 2 dsp devices. You must have these devices
already created. If you are using Redhat, emu10k1 is built in as a
module but the tools are not available that will allow custom routing.
Ac3 passthrough works as well.

This is an excerpt from the mailing list from Rui Sousa

"

The problem is none of the drivers versions you mentioned (0.19 and
0.20) are supposed to support Audigy2 cards. Only the cvs mainline has
this support (still marked as 0.20a version). The Redhat kernel was
probably patched with cvs mainline changes but still shows and older
driver version.

In any case I don't think there is any really problem, except that I
still need to make an official release of the driver and bump the
version up to 0.21a...
"

Reading the rest of your post. It seems that our setup may be similar.
I also use btaudio. Here is a copy of my modules.conf if that helps you
out. It is severely commented for my benefit.

Have Fun