Mailing List Archive

mythfilldatabase stopped working
I recently removed my Myth configuration files and dropped the database
to try to do a clean setup. I switched capture cards and had problems
with old configurations, so I removed everything and started from
scratch.

Now, when I try to run mythfilldatabase, I get output that looks like:

<snippet>
#mythfilldatabase
Fetching data for Sat May 31 2003...
----------------- Start of XMLTV output -----------------
use /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_na --help for usage
------------------ End of XMLTV output ------------------
Error in 1:1: unexpected end of file
Fetching data for Fri May 30 2003...
----------------- Start of XMLTV output -----------------
use /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_na --help for usage
------------------ End of XMLTV output ------------------
Error in 1:1: unexpected end of file
</snippet>

tv_grab_na appears to work just fine if I run it manually. I checked
out the the MythTV sources from CVS last night and rebuilt everything,
and still get this problem. Could I be missing a lingering config file
somewhere?

dropped mythconverg
rm -rf /usr/local/share/mythtv
rm -rf ~/.mythtv

Running Debian with kernel 2.4.20 on a P4-Celeron with a PVR-250.

Thanks.

IF

--
Isaac W. Foraker, Software Engineer
http://tazthecat.net/~isaac/
RE: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
Did you re-run the backend setup program?

-JAC

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
Yes. I ran mythtv/setup/setup and selected a video source.

IF

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
In our last episode entitled 'RE: [mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase stopped working', Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Did you re-run the backend setup program?

Fixed it. Stupid me was putting a space in the name of the video
source, and the source code for setup and mythfilldatabase do not appear
to put quotes around the name of the channel configuration file when
passing it as a command line parameter.

I'd like to request that the quotes be added, or a check in setup to
warn the user that spaces aren't allowed, or just yell at me to not be
lazy and submit a patch. :o)

IF

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
On 01/24/2012 09:24 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
> My wife just alerted me to the fact that some of her shows hadn't been recorded.
> When I went to look, it turned out nothing was scheduled because it had run out
> of guide data. When I run mythfilldatabase manually from the command line, it
> complains about "Resolving webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com...
> failed: Temporary failure in name resolution."
> What's going on here?

I just checked, and that name resolved just fine here, and my schedule was
updated. Do other URLs resolve OK?

Larry

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
>>> Connecting to webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com|54.85.117.227|:80... failed: No route to host.

Bob,

I can ping that address from Michigan okay,

Doug
Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
Doug,

Thank you. I can't ping it from PA. Schedules Direct mentioned ping might
be blocked. But that is not the case.

Bob

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
>>> Thank you. I can't ping it from PA. Schedules Direct mentioned ping might be blocked. But that is not the case.

Then I'd suggest using traceroute on Linux or tracert under Windows on that address and see how far it goes before stopping. If it does not get beyond your home router/firewall then you'll know it's something on your end

Doug
Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
I can ping it from other servers and nslook on servers I can ping shows
schedulesdirect.org the servers I can't ping the nslookup resolves a
different host. Very strange DNS issue.

Bob

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
On 12/9/20 1:42 PM, Bob Scharle wrote:
> I can ping it from other servers and nslook on servers I can ping shows schedulesdirect.org <http://schedulesdirect.org> the servers I can't
> ping the nslookup resolves a different host.  Very strange DNS issue.
>
> Bob

Doesn't seem to fit, but if it's DNS, remember the SD URL change:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Schedules_Direct_URL_Change

--
Bill
Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
If it is not a systemd setup, you can review the /etc/resolv.conf and see if it's empty.

If it is a systemd setup, then you can review

/etc/systemd/resolved.conf

In the /etc/resolv.conf should have a nameserver= line
in the resolved.conf you should uncomment the DNS= line and update it

Doug
Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
Bill,

Thank you. It appears to be a DNS issue. I tried nslookup on several
servers, including my work network and I don't get schedulesdirect.org. I
will take a look at the URL you sent.

Bob

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
I figured it out. I was able ping from some of my servers. I must have
changed the network on my MythTV system, which contains my home and work
network. I just changed the gateway to my router and the mythfilldatabase
is now working. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Bob

Re: mythfilldatabase stopped working [ In reply to ]
I was able to run mythfilldatabase. My myth server has two networks. Some
servers were able to ping the IP. I must have changed the gateway a while
back. I changed the gateway to the router. Thank you for your time and