Mailing List Archive

mythtv recompile because of new CPU
Do I have to recompile MythTV if I use another CPU ? I compiled it on a
Pentium 2-350 MHz but it was way to slow watching Live-TV. Now I built
in another Mainboard with a Pentium 3-667 MHz. Maybe it's still too slow
but should be faster than the Pentium 2. MythTV is running without
recompile but I'm not sure if it uses all the features of the P3 CPU ??
RE: mythtv recompile because of new CPU [ In reply to ]
What's your setup? Unless you're using a hardware-encoding card like the
Hauppauge PVR-250/350 or the Matrox G400, even a P3-667 is a bit weak for
watching LiveTV at anything but the lowest resolution & quality capture
settings. If you're trying to do anything more than 320x240 RTJPEG, you're
probably pegging your CPU (again, unless you've got a hardware encoder). A
general rule of thumb for high-quality (480x480 or higher) encoding with a
standard V4L card is 1GHz per tuner + ~500MHz per playback stream. (So, 1
tuner in a frontend/backend machine = minimum 1GHz, 2 tuners = 2.5GHz (3GHz
if you want PIP). Those are optimal specs; you can get away with less, but
667MHz still sounds a bit light.

As far as recompiling, you probably won't get much of a performance increase
merely by recompiling. The optimizations that truly make a difference for
Myth are MMX-related; both the P2 & P3 support MMX (IIRC).

Someone please correct me if I've misspoken...

-JAC

Re: mythtv recompile because of new CPU [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 11:07:12AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> general rule of thumb for high-quality (480x480 or higher) encoding with a
> standard V4L card is 1GHz per tuner + ~500MHz per playback stream. (So, 1
> tuner in a frontend/backend machine = minimum 1GHz, 2 tuners = 2.5GHz (3GHz
> if you want PIP). Those are optimal specs; you can get away with less, but
> 667MHz still sounds a bit light.

Thanks for these rules...

How about if you add a PVR 250? A PVR and a non-PVR tuner ...?

Kind Regards,
Frank Louwers

--
Openminds bvba www.openminds.be
Tweebruggenstraat 16 - 9000 Gent - Belgium
RE: mythtv recompile because of new CPU [ In reply to ]
Well, I'm sure others have varying experiences, but I'd guess that since a
PVR-250 puts very little load on the CPU, you could get away with (almost)
leaving it out of the CPU equation. So for a frontend/backend with single
PVR-250, you might be able to get away with a 500MHz machine; with a PVR-250
& a V4L tuner, maybe 1.5GHz (2GHz for PIP). Again, you can get away with
less if you turn down the capture size/quality on the V4L card. Also, keep
in mind that with a PVR-250/350 your disk space requirements will go up.

-JAC

Re: mythtv recompile because of new CPU [ In reply to ]
I only have a standard miro PCTV. I thought about buying a PVR-250 but I
only have very bad TV quality
because I have stolen cable TV from my Grandma and I have about 20
metres cable lying through the whole house.
The cable TV is only for my computer. My real TV uses a satellite
dish.But MythTV is so great that I plan on using it
on my real TV and with the bad image quality I have there's no
difference if I use 320x240 or 480x480. So best
hardware solution for me would be something like a PVR-250 with a Sat-Tuner.

About recompiling. Sure, both CPU have MMX but only the P3 has SSE. Does
Mythtv use SSE ?

RE: mythtv recompile because of new CPU [ In reply to ]
I don't think so... the default settings.pro distributed with Myth specifies
the option "-march=pentiumpro", which IIRC doesn't have SSE (certainly if
the P2 doesn't have it!)

-JAC