MP3). The music I ripped under Linux is stored as MP3s.

When MythMusic imports the songs, it skips the WMA files.

I did determine that Linux "mplayer" does play WMA files with no problem.

Is there a reason why MythMusic can't play WMA files (or won't import
them if it will play them)? That is, can't it use the same codecs thet
mplayer uses?

Thanks,
Dick
RE: MythMusic is working [ In reply to ]
No reason except that no one has written a WMA decoder for MythMusic, and I
don't know if there's an open source WMA decoding library, other than
whatever is built into mplayer. You can't just "use the same codecs" that
mplayer uses; it's not a development library/toolkit like libmp3lame, libogg
or libvorbis, so you can't link to it. You'd have to actually lift parts of
the mplayer codebase & bring it into the Myth tree, which is always a hassle
as it has to then be periodically re-synched from the main mplayer source
tree.

Not saying it's impossible, just a PITA.

-JAC

Re: MythMusic is working [ In reply to ]
On Friday 30 May 2003 09:00 am, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> No reason except that no one has written a WMA decoder for MythMusic, and I
> don't know if there's an open source WMA decoding library, other than
> whatever is built into mplayer. You can't just "use the same codecs" that
> mplayer uses; it's not a development library/toolkit like libmp3lame,
> libogg or libvorbis, so you can't link to it. You'd have to actually lift
> parts of the mplayer codebase & bring it into the Myth tree, which is
> always a hassle as it has to then be periodically re-synched from the main
> mplayer source tree.
>
> Not saying it's impossible, just a PITA.

Should be quite easy to tie into the decoder that's in libavcodec, actually.

Isaac
RE: MythMusic is working [ In reply to ]
I stand corrected.

-JAC

Re: MythMusic is working [ In reply to ]
On my system (which either came with redhat or which came with rpm's I
installed), I have a directory /usr/lib/win32. In there are a bunch of
dll's which appear to be exact copies of whats on windows. I am just
guessing, but it looks like someone has figured out how to dynamically
load these into Linux programs. For example:

file /usr/lib/win32/wmadmod.dll
reports:
wmadmod.dll: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows

I don't know how this all works, but I would assume if MythMusic could
load Windows shared libraries like mplayer must do, then it would have
access to all the Windows codecs.

I'm sure it would be a PITA though... :)