Mailing List Archive

lirc setup in mandrake 9.1
I need some help here installing lirc and getting it to work with mandrake
9.1. If you have succesfully done this please reply!

First off the myth guide about setting up lirc using the source does not
work. Here is what I am doing now, and what happens. I uninstalled the lirc
package that comes with mandrake, as that was causing a lot of conflicts and
cleaned everything to do with lirc to start fresh. Now I built the IR
improved transmitter and simple receiver on the lirc site, both work
perfectly under windows and I have had the receiver work on mandrake before.

1. Downloaded & Extracted lirc-0.6.6 to a directory

2. #./setup.sh & selected Home-brew (16x50 UART compatible serial port),
then COM1 (0x3f8, 4), then selected "with transmitter diode & software
generated carrier", save configure & run config. After it is done, it
reports: "You will have to use the lirc_serial kernel module." Now nobody
can tell me what to do with lirc_serial, do I have to compile the kernel
with that module in mandrake 9.1? If so how, if not why won't it work?

3. make, make install

4. check "ls -l /dev/li*" and this appears:
prw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 may 27... /dev/lircd |
prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 may .... /dev/lircm|

5. So make a link manually "ln -sf ttyS0 lirc", and:
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 5 may 27 ... /dev/lirc -> ttyS0 in yellow
prw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 may 27... /dev/lircd |
prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 may .... /dev/lircm|

6. setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none

7. modprode lirc_serial
*********errors***********
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial.o.gz:
init_module: Input/output error
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameteres, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information in syslog or the
out from dmesg modprobe: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial.o.gz failed
modprobe: insmod lirc_serial failed

ok so check out log at /var/log/messages:
localhost: kernel: lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
localhost: kernel: _devfs_append_entry(serial): dir: "lirc" is not a
directory
localhost: kernel: devfs_register(lirc/serial): could not append to parent,
err: -20
localhost: kernel: lirc_serial: devfs_register failed!

that does not look good, what is going on? I am pretty sure it is on that
com port, irq and address, but I could be wrong. It is on the same port it
was working on before. Also when I disconnect it and run the same test, it
reports "auto-deteced active high receiver" instead of low, interesting so i
think that means its on the right port.

8. launch lirc, /usr/local/sbin/lircd

9. Try "mode2"
******error***********
"This program is only intended for receivers supporting the pulse/space
layer. Note that this is no error, but this program simply makes no sense
for your receiver."

10. Try "irw", returns to prompt, the lirc process terminates and has to be
restarted.

Help! What am I doing wrong? Do I have to compile the kernel, if so how?,
Chris

Re: lirc setup in mandrake 9.1 [ In reply to ]
Chris Germano wrote:

> I need some help here installing lirc and getting it to work with
> mandrake 9.1. If you have succesfully done this please reply!
>
> First off the myth guide about setting up lirc using the source does
> not work. Here is what I am doing now, and what happens. I uninstalled
> the lirc package that comes with mandrake, as that was causing a lot
> of conflicts and cleaned everything to do with lirc to start fresh.
> Now I built the IR improved transmitter and simple receiver on the
> lirc site, both work perfectly under windows and I have had the
> receiver work on mandrake before.
>
> 1. Downloaded & Extracted lirc-0.6.6 to a directory
>
> 2. #./setup.sh & selected Home-brew (16x50 UART compatible serial
> port), then COM1 (0x3f8, 4), then selected "with transmitter diode &
> software generated carrier", save configure & run config. After it is
> done, it reports: "You will have to use the lirc_serial kernel
> module." Now nobody can tell me what to do with lirc_serial, do I have
> to compile the kernel with that module in mandrake 9.1?

No, you want lirc_serial to be a module, and the new "lirc_serial"
module should be created by your compile.

> If so how, if not why won't it work?

Assuming that Mandrake didn't de-modulize "lirc_serial.o" there must be
other things that need to be resolved.

> 3. make, make install
>
> 4. check "ls -l /dev/li*" and this appears:
> prw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 may 27... /dev/lircd |
> prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 may .... /dev/lircm|
>
> 5. So make a link manually "ln -sf ttyS0 lirc", and:
> lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 5 may 27 ... /dev/lirc -> ttyS0 in yellow
> prw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 may 27... /dev/lircd |
> prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 may .... /dev/lircm|

I don't think this is correct. On my system /dev/lirc is NOT a link to
the serial port, it is a character device. Also, lircd is a socket
device on my system. As follows:

crw-r--r-- 1 root root 61, 0 May 24 21:57 lirc
srw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 28 00:08 lircd
prw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 24 21:57 lircm

I don't know why the install didn't make the correct devices. You could
create the lirc device with mknod, but I would be concerned about why it
wasn't created during the install. I don't know how you would go about
creating a socket device. Maybe remove those strange ones and run make
install again?

> 6. setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
>
> 7. modprode lirc_serial
> *********errors***********
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial.o.gz:
> init_module: Input/output error
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameteres,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information
> in syslog or the out from dmesg modprobe: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial.o.gz failed
> modprobe: insmod lirc_serial failed

I believe
"/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/3rdparty/lirc/lirc_serial.o.gz" is
the Mandrake module. AFAIK, the standard lirc doesn't generate a
gzipped module, or put it in that directory. I would clobber or rename
that file, and remove any reference to it in modules.dep, or if
necessary put your newly compiled module in its place.

> ok so check out log at /var/log/messages:
> localhost: kernel: lirc_serial: auto-detected active low receiver
> localhost: kernel: _devfs_append_entry(serial): dir: "lirc" is not a
> directory
> localhost: kernel: devfs_register(lirc/serial): could not append to
> parent, err: -20
> localhost: kernel: lirc_serial: devfs_register failed!

I'm pretty sure that this is the Mandrake lirc_serial module looking for
the "/dev/lirc" directory which I think you have removed

> that does not look good, what is going on? I am pretty sure it is on
> that com port, irq and address, but I could be wrong. It is on the
> same port it was working on before. Also when I disconnect it and run
> the same test, it reports "auto-deteced active high receiver" instead
> of low, interesting so i think that means its on the right port.
>
> 8. launch lirc, /usr/local/sbin/lircd
>
> 9. Try "mode2"
> ******error***********
> "This program is only intended for receivers supporting the
> pulse/space layer. Note that this is no error, but this program simply
> makes no sense for your receiver."
>
> 10. Try "irw", returns to prompt, the lirc process terminates and has
> to be restarted.
>
> Help! What am I doing wrong? Do I have to compile the kernel, if so how?,

AFAIK, you shouldn't have to recompile the kernel.

If you still can't resolve this could you send me a copy of the output
from the lirc make and make install, and a copy of your modules.conf

Re: lirc setup in mandrake 9.1 [ In reply to ]
I'm not getting anywhere with lirc, and I actually just picked up a new OEM
Audigy card (EMU10K2), a WinTV 401 dbx card (Conextant Fusion 878a chipset)
& a black dvdrom drive. I have been able to get none of them working so far
lol. ALSA has yet to support the new EMU10K2 chipset, I have no idea how
other people have gotten this to work, but it must be supported somewhere as
it is the chipset for the Audigy 2 as well. The Wintv 401 878a chipset is
exactly the same as the bt878 apparently pin for pin as Conextant bought
them out, however it has new features to support all that new hdtv crap. My
problem is that I had another bt878 board in there with just a composite in,
and that is still the only option I have in Xawtv so I'm thinking it never
realised I switched boards. The DVDRom I have no idea why it's not working,
It is listed in the Mandrake Control Panel, but I have no idea how to access
it, since now /dev/cdrom is no longer there. I'm starting to think I should
change over to windows for this project, nothing seams to work well in
linux.

Anyway would you recommend a reinstall? Can someone please just give me a
quick run down on how they got lirc to run on mandrake 9.1? Is the built in
lirc installed/running? Do anything different from the myth docs? I really
don't want to have any problems with lirc, I'm fed up with it.