From: mythtv-users-bounces@snowman.net
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces@snowman.net] On Behalf Of Joseph A. Caputo
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 1:48 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] Taking the plunge - General questions about
setupand PVR250

But how are the overlays formatted? Can you just set your X display to
the
decoder board and have that work, or do you need to format each screen
as a
static image? If the former, no problem; if the latter, this raises the
same issues as pure MPEG; namely, how to take an interactive X (Qt)
interface and convert it to static images. I don't know anything about
decoders w/overlay, so maybe it's simpler than that, though.

-JAC

Encoder/PVR

Re: Taking the plunge - General questions about setupandPVR250 [ In reply to ]
The Sigma Designs X-Card (not sure about others) DOES display overlay
graphics on the tv out. It will not do overlay in a window on the PC.
There is an On Screen Display that is seperate from the mpeg stream that can
display a menu, subtitles, what have you. It can even display the windows
desktop instead of an video file. (Sigma said it couldn't been done with
the overlay but a third party developer has already managed to do it without
encoding it as an mpeg).

I really only brought up the X-card because I have one and I am familiar
with the overlay funtionality and mentioned it as an example. There are
currently no linux drivers or an SDK for that matter so it is not really
worth discussing.

Roby Adams