Mailing List Archive

LiveTV with via M-9000 board
Is anyone running smooth LiveTV on the via M-9000 board?

My board seems to be to slow... or the HD is to slow. I have read that there
is a kernel Patch for speed up IDE things, but i can't see any
improvements...

Suggestions what i can do?

Thanks Peter
Re: LiveTV with via M-9000 board [ In reply to ]
Try this to see how fast your drive is:

root > hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.59 seconds = 17.83 MB/sec
root > hdparm -T /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.23 seconds =556.52 MB/sec

Re: LiveTV with via M-9000 board [ In reply to ]
this are the test with the 2.4.18 kernel (Debian)

Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 10.89 seconds = 5.88 MB/sec
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.71 seconds = 74.85 MB/sec

I have loaded the 2.4.20 Kernel, there the MB/sec 3times faster... but i
think this would be better when i get running the 2.5dev Kernel.(it compiles
perfect, but when i start it displays nothing, but i thing the kernel
started, because of fsck checks next boot time) On the Via site they sad
that there is a bug in the IDE driver and all seems to be fixed in the 2.5
Kernel.

Re: LiveTV with via M-9000 board [ In reply to ]
Peter,

sorry that I didn't answer on this earlier. I have a M9000 that I do live tv
with. But I'm only able to get RTJPEG at 320 x 240 running well enough to
consider it usable. Even that is a stretch. If I look at the top summary when
it's running I only have about 5 - 8 % free cpu cycles. (I'm using an ATI TV
Wonder VE, so everything is being done in software.) Some have suggested that if
I drop Gnome for a lighter weight window manager I may get another 10 % from the
cpu. That might make it possible to move up a little, but my real hope lies with
the EPIA M10000 instead. (And a PVR-250 card eventually.)

...Kevin

Re: LiveTV with via M-9000 board [ In reply to ]
I doubt its down to the drivers - its probably more likley the need for
different hdparm options.
Have a look at the settings for 32/16bit mode access and the udma settings.

Tos display your settings:
hdparm -cd /dev/hda

To change the settings:
hdparm -c 1 /dev/hda # 32bit mode
hdparm -c 0 /dev/hda # 16bit mode
hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda # udma off
hdparm -d 0 /dev/hda # udma on

I'm running 2.4.18 suse8.0.
Heres the results from my disk with the 4 possible combinations:

---------------------------
> hdparm -cd /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
using_dma = 0 (off)

> hdparm -tT /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.23 seconds =556.52 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 19.64 seconds = 3.26 MB/sec
----------------------------
> hdparm -cd /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
I/O support = 1 (32-bit)
using_dma = 0 (off)

> hdparm -tT /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.23 seconds =556.52 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 10.52 seconds = 6.08 MB/sec
-------------------------------
> hdparm -cd /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
using_dma = 1 (on)

> hdparm -tT /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.23 seconds =556.52 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 2.63 seconds = 24.33 MB/sec
---------------
> hdparm -cd /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
I/O support = 1 (32-bit)
using_dma = 1 (on)

> hdparm -tT /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.23 seconds =556.52 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 2.49 seconds = 25.70 MB/sec

My cached reads might be a bit higher than yours because I'm running on
a p4xeon workstation.

If you can get better results by playing with these options then try
mythtv again. You could always try using a ramdisk for storage as well,
just to make sure its not the disk thats the problem. Most people have
been saying you only need 0.5MB/s access speed.