Mailing List Archive

PS3 as FrontEnd
I've just acquired a PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux installed.

There has been some discussion of using the PS3 as a Myth frontend,
and several folks, including me, were dubious about that working,
mainly because the nVidia graphic chip is only supported as a simple
frame buffer.

However, I just compiled mplayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 on the PS3, and I am
presently watching the HD version of "Elephant's Dream", and I can
only describe the picture as GORGEOUS on my 32" LCD, fed by the HDMI
output of the PS3, no dropped frames and the motion is smooth as
silk. I'm playing the file via an NFS mount from a Gentoo box.

I'm running 40%-50% CPU load on both processors (the Linux kernel
sees the Cel as 2 CPUs, the subsidiary processors are handled a
little differently). This is kernel 2.6.16-20061110.ydl.ps3, Yellow
Dog release 5.0 (Phoenix).

Obviously running a full F/E is a little different from mplayer, but
I am certainly optimistic at this point. Considering that you get a
Blu-Ray player and a very nice computer for under $500 this is a deal
IMHO.

I got the "low-end" PS3 with the 20GB HDD and no WiFi or memory card
capability, as Linux does not support the built-in WiFi (yet) and if
I wanted to read cards I could just hook up a card reader, no point
in paying Sony prices for those things.

Just thought some folks might be interested in this.

Brian Wood
beww@beww.org

Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On 3/16/07, Brian Wood <beww@beww.org> wrote:

> I've just acquired a PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux installed.
>
> There has been some discussion of using the PS3 as a Myth frontend,
> and several folks, including me, were dubious about that working,
> mainly because the nVidia graphic chip is only supported as a simple
> frame buffer.
>
> However, I just compiled mplayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 on the PS3, and I am
> presently watching the HD version of "Elephant's Dream", and I can
> only describe the picture as GORGEOUS on my 32" LCD, fed by the HDMI
> output of the PS3, no dropped frames and the motion is smooth as
> silk. I'm playing the file via an NFS mount from a Gentoo box.
>
> I'm running 40%-50% CPU load on both processors (the Linux kernel
> sees the Cel as 2 CPUs, the subsidiary processors are handled a
> little differently). This is kernel 2.6.16-20061110.ydl.ps3, Yellow
> Dog release 5.0 (Phoenix).
>
> Obviously running a full F/E is a little different from mplayer, but
> I am certainly optimistic at this point. Considering that you get a
> Blu-Ray player and a very nice computer for under $500 this is a deal
> IMHO.
>
> I got the "low-end" PS3 with the 20GB HDD and no WiFi or memory card
> capability, as Linux does not support the built-in WiFi (yet) and if
> I wanted to read cards I could just hook up a card reader, no point
> in paying Sony prices for those things.
>
> Just thought some folks might be interested in this.
>
> Brian Wood
> beww@beww.org

Thanks for the update, this is pretty promising. If the PS3 can play back HD
content without the need for XVMC against the GPU then I don't see why it
can't function pretty smoothly as a full-featured front end.

What was the resolution of the HD?
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On 3/16/07, Brian Wood <beww@beww.org> wrote:

> I've just acquired a PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux installed.
>
> There has been some discussion of using the PS3 as a Myth frontend,
> and several folks, including me, were dubious about that working,
> mainly because the nVidia graphic chip is only supported as a simple
> frame buffer.

Perhaps once the nouveau guys get going this will no longer be an
issue. The PS3 GPU is supposed to be based upon a 7800 core.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 16, 2007, at 5:52 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> Thanks for the update, this is pretty promising. If the PS3 can
> play back HD content without the need for XVMC against the GPU then
> I don't see why it can't function pretty smoothly as a full-
> featured front end.
>
> What was the resolution of the HD?

1920 x 1080, 24bpp, 24 fps 10001.5 kbps (1220.9 kbytes/s), MPEG-4 v2,
using ffmpeg to decode.

Using the X11 video output, looks like the machine is just plain fast
enough to play it without any help from the GPU, not even XV.

I will say that I could keep a cup of coffee hot on top of the thing
though :-)

Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 16, 2007, at 5:52 PM, Yan-Fa Li wrote:

> On 3/16/07, Brian Wood <beww@beww.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've just acquired a PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux installed.
>>
>> There has been some discussion of using the PS3 as a Myth frontend,
>> and several folks, including me, were dubious about that working,
>> mainly because the nVidia graphic chip is only supported as a simple
>> frame buffer.
>>

> Perhaps once the nouveau guys get going this will no longer be an
> issue. The PS3 GPU is supposed to be based upon a 7800 core.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA

Yeah, I'd guess the GPU will be supported to some extent eventually.
I'm not sure if it is nVidia or Sony that's holding up the works.

Now trying standard DVD vobs, they look pretty good, but I'm not
scaling them to fill the whole screen, I'm running out of time for
tonight.

Also haven't tried digital audio yet, just using analog stereo at
this point, I'm not sure if the ALSA setup on YDL supports the
digital output or not, it should but I'll believe it when I hear it.
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
Yan-Fa Li wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Brian Wood <beww@beww.org> wrote:
>> I've just acquired a PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux installed.
>>
>> There has been some discussion of using the PS3 as a Myth frontend,
>> and several folks, including me, were dubious about that working,
>> mainly because the nVidia graphic chip is only supported as a simple
>> frame buffer.
>>

> Perhaps once the nouveau guys get going this will no longer be an
> issue. The PS3 GPU is supposed to be based upon a 7800 core.

I don't think it'd help anything, as otherwise the xorg nvidia driver
would be adaptable(it's fairly 2D complete I believe, it's just 3D that
is lacking).

I think the main problem is that the PS3 Hypervisor cuts off all access
to the 3D hardware, or rather, it only virtualises enough of the
graphics adapter to support FB.

The following has a good description of how the separation is done on
the PS3:

http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/doc/LinuxKernelOverview.html

Matt
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 16, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Matthew McClement wrote:

> I don't think it'd help anything, as otherwise the xorg nvidia driver
> would be adaptable(it's fairly 2D complete I believe, it's just 3D
> that
> is lacking).
>
> I think the main problem is that the PS3 Hypervisor cuts off all
> access
> to the 3D hardware, or rather, it only virtualises enough of the
> graphics adapter to support FB.

Quite correct, I believe. I've been following the YDL list and that's
exactly what seems to be the case. This no doubt has to do with the
PS3 not outputting HD unless it sees an HDCP-capable device on the
end of the cable. (Dang DRM).

I'm driving an HDCP equipped monitor. I don't know if the Linux video
output pays any attention to that or not. I guess I'll have to scare
up a non-HDCP display and see what happens.

> The following has a good description of how the separation is done on
> the PS3:
>
> http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/doc/
> LinuxKernelOverview.html

I also just locked up solid after about 10 minutes of playing a Myth-
recorded SD file via NFS, not sure what happened yet, trying to do a
post mortem now if I can SSH into the box. It was looking good until
the lockup, which may be NFS or network related, as it locked up the
NFS server too.

So we're not there yet, just wanted to report that so far it does not
look totally impossible. Even if all I can do is play Myth files with
Mplayer I think I got my money's worth, very nice little machine for
the price.

Dang that thing runs hot ! If anyone gets one to play with I'd
suggest mounting it vertically, seems to run a bit cooler if the heat
can gush out the top (side).

Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 06:08:31PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> Using the X11 video output, looks like the machine is just plain fast
> enough to play it without any help from the GPU, not even XV.
>
> I will say that I could keep a cup of coffee hot on top of the thing
> though :-)

Apparently! According to this site:
http://ps3.qj.net/The-PS3-eats-watts-some-power-usage-figures/pg/49/aid/74602
the PS3 uses between 185 and 205 watts when displaying its dashboard or
playing a game. That's more than my backend server.

I'm glad most of my shows are SD, so I can watch nearly anything on either
my beefy BE or my 3 watt MediaMVP running MVPMC as an alternative Myth FE!

-Peter
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 18, 2007, at 8:06 AM, Peter Watkins wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 06:08:31PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>
>> Using the X11 video output, looks like the machine is just plain fast
>> enough to play it without any help from the GPU, not even XV.
>>
>> I will say that I could keep a cup of coffee hot on top of the thing
>> though :-)
>
> Apparently! According to this site:
> http://ps3.qj.net/The-PS3-eats-watts-some-power-usage-figures/pg/
> 49/aid/74602
> the PS3 uses between 185 and 205 watts when displaying its
> dashboard or
> playing a game. That's more than my backend server.

That agrees with what my Kill-a-Watt indicates. It hit 210 when
playing a Blu-Ray disk.

> I'm glad most of my shows are SD, so I can watch nearly anything on
> either
> my beefy BE or my 3 watt MediaMVP running MVPMC as an alternative
> Myth FE!

The MVP is really a nice little *quiet* box. Hard to beat for an SD F/E.
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On 3/18/07, Peter Watkins <peterw@tux.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 06:08:31PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>
> > Using the X11 video output, looks like the machine is just plain fast
> > enough to play it without any help from the GPU, not even XV.
> >
> > I will say that I could keep a cup of coffee hot on top of the thing
> > though :-)
>
> Apparently! According to this site:
>
> http://ps3.qj.net/The-PS3-eats-watts-some-power-usage-figures/pg/49/aid/74602
> the PS3 uses between 185 and 205 watts when displaying its dashboard or
> playing a game. That's more than my backend server.

The PS3 doesn't have a dashboard.

I'm glad most of my shows are SD, so I can watch nearly anything on either
> my beefy BE or my 3 watt MediaMVP running MVPMC as an alternative Myth FE!
>
> -Peter

_____________
Ryan Patterson
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 18, 2007, at 8:35 AM, ryan patterson wrote:

> The PS3 doesn't have a dashboard.

Not in the Mac OSX sense, I just assumed he was referring to the main
screen.

And running X it can have whatever you want.

The main point is the unit is a real power hog, it pulls more than my
AMD FX60 with 2GB RAM and 3 hard drives, an HD-3000 and a 7600 video
card, even when that unit is compiling up a storm on both cores.

All that CPU power just to play games, makes one wonder what our
priorities really are.

I can assure you that my PS3 will never even be in the same room with
a PS3 game program.

Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Matthew McClement wrote:
>
>> I don't think it'd help anything, as otherwise the xorg nvidia driver
>> would be adaptable(it's fairly 2D complete I believe, it's just 3D
>> that
>> is lacking).
>>
>> I think the main problem is that the PS3 Hypervisor cuts off all
>> access
>> to the 3D hardware, or rather, it only virtualises enough of the
>> graphics adapter to support FB.
>
> Quite correct, I believe. I've been following the YDL list and that's
> exactly what seems to be the case. This no doubt has to do with the
> PS3 not outputting HD unless it sees an HDCP-capable device on the
> end of the cable. (Dang DRM).
>
> I'm driving an HDCP equipped monitor. I don't know if the Linux video
> output pays any attention to that or not. I guess I'll have to scare
> up a non-HDCP display and see what happens.
>> The following has a good description of how the separation is done on
>> the PS3:
>>
>> http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/doc/
>> LinuxKernelOverview.html
>

> I also just locked up solid after about 10 minutes of playing a Myth-
> recorded SD file via NFS, not sure what happened yet, trying to do a
> post mortem now if I can SSH into the box. It was looking good until
> the lockup, which may be NFS or network related, as it locked up the
> NFS server too.
>
> So we're not there yet, just wanted to report that so far it does not
> look totally impossible. Even if all I can do is play Myth files with
> Mplayer I think I got my money's worth, very nice little machine for
> the price.
>
> Dang that thing runs hot ! If anyone gets one to play with I'd
> suggest mounting it vertically, seems to run a bit cooler if the heat
> can gush out the top (side).

It's interesting to hear how hot it is. I wonder if that will change
when they finish switching all cell production to 65nm. How does it
sound in terms of noise when it's operating full tilt?
I wonder if that lockup involved overheating or something.
Raphael
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 18, 2007, at 9:51 AM, raphael wrote:

> It's interesting to hear how hot it is. I wonder if that will change
> when they finish switching all cell production to 65nm. How does it
> sound in terms of noise when it's operating full tilt?
> I wonder if that lockup involved overheating or something.
> Raphael

Well the power consumption should drop somewhat with the smaller
transistors, not sure how much. The noise is not too bad, less than
the single-fan Mini-ITX machine next to it with a single 40mm fan.

The lockup was my NFS setup, had nothing to do with the PS3, just
stupidity on my part in exporting an already NFS mounted partition,
thus driving my network over the edge.

Brian Wood
beww@beww.org

Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
So are you planning to compile the mythfrontend to run on the PS3 or is
there a problem with doing that currently? If myth would work well, I'd
seriously consider using this as a frontend at that point (power usage isn't
an issue my power costs are extremely cheap in my state). Plus, I could get
some gaming out of it as well.

Gene

Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 19, 2007, at 3:07 AM, Gene Stapp wrote:

> So are you planning to compile the mythfrontend to run on the PS3
> or is there a problem with doing that currently? If myth would work
> well, I'd seriously consider using this as a frontend at that point
> (power usage isn't an issue my power costs are extremely cheap in
> my state). Plus, I could get some gaming out of it as well.

I'm thinking that the PPC frontend-only version might compile, and
might even actually work, but of course the problem is getting the
time to work on it.

It's an interesting proof-of-concept project, but it certainly isn't
going to be able to do anything that can't be done already with more
conventional hardware.

You also would really want a display with HDMI or DVI input, and also
HDCP if you wanted to play Blu-Ray disks at full resolution.

The digital audio output seems to work under Linux, it's optical
only, no coax, though I suppose you could jeep the digital audio out
of the HDMI connector if you wanted a copper path.

I would certainly not buy a PS3 just for a Myth frontend, but if you
are looking for the cheapest BR player available, and also get a
machine that can run Linux and perhaps Myth, it's certainly a
bargain. It's the best bargain going even as a standalone BR player,
but that situation might not last long, and I expect BR/HD-DVD
players will become more common and cheaper soon. Anybody buying any
sort of HD disk player today is paying the "early adopter" tax, and I
haven't seen any HD movies available that were actually worth
watching yet.

As I said, already I can NFS mount my Myth recordings and play them
with mplayer using the CLI, that's enough to make me happy, but it
might not have a high WAF for non-bachelors.

Also, Terrasoft describes the Bluetooth interface as "unsupported"
but both my Gentoo machine and my Mac can connect to the interface
easily, that might be a route for getting a remote control working.
The "game controller" is BT, maybe you could cobble that up to be a
remote, as I can't see what else it would be good for :-)

Also - I've read that Sony may be discontinuing the cheaper 20GB PS3
in favor of the more expensive 60GB unit which also gives you WiFi
and a card reader. Those additional features can be bought elsewhere
at far less than Sony prices, so if you're thinking about buying the
20GB box I'd consider that.

I'd also consider purchasing directly from Terrasoft. I'd much rather
support an outfit that's doing Linux development than the local Big-
Box Store chain - but that's strictly a personal opinion.
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On 3/19/07, Brian Wood <beww@beww.org> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2007, at 3:07 AM, Gene Stapp wrote:
>
> > So are you planning to compile the mythfrontend to run on the PS3
> > or is there a problem with doing that currently? If myth would work
> > well, I'd seriously consider using this as a frontend at that point
> > (power usage isn't an issue my power costs are extremely cheap in
> > my state). Plus, I could get some gaming out of it as well.
> >

> I'm thinking that the PPC frontend-only version might compile, and
> might even actually work, but of course the problem is getting the
> time to work on it.
>
> It's an interesting proof-of-concept project, but it certainly isn't
> going to be able to do anything that can't be done already with more
> conventional hardware.
>
> You also would really want a display with HDMI or DVI input, and also
> HDCP if you wanted to play Blu-Ray disks at full resolution.
>
> The digital audio output seems to work under Linux, it's optical
> only, no coax, though I suppose you could jeep the digital audio out
> of the HDMI connector if you wanted a copper path.
>
> I would certainly not buy a PS3 just for a Myth frontend, but if you
> are looking for the cheapest BR player available, and also get a
> machine that can run Linux and perhaps Myth, it's certainly a
> bargain. It's the best bargain going even as a standalone BR player,
> but that situation might not last long, and I expect BR/HD-DVD
> players will become more common and cheaper soon. Anybody buying any
> sort of HD disk player today is paying the "early adopter" tax, and I
> haven't seen any HD movies available that were actually worth
> watching yet.
>
> As I said, already I can NFS mount my Myth recordings and play them
> with mplayer using the CLI, that's enough to make me happy, but it
> might not have a high WAF for non-bachelors.
>
> Also, Terrasoft describes the Bluetooth interface as "unsupported"
> but both my Gentoo machine and my Mac can connect to the interface
> easily, that might be a route for getting a remote control working.
> The "game controller" is BT, maybe you could cobble that up to be a
> remote, as I can't see what else it would be good for :-)
>
> Also - I've read that Sony may be discontinuing the cheaper 20GB PS3
> in favor of the more expensive 60GB unit which also gives you WiFi
> and a card reader. Those additional features can be bought elsewhere
> at far less than Sony prices, so if you're thinking about buying the
> 20GB box I'd consider that.
>
> I'd also consider purchasing directly from Terrasoft. I'd much rather
> support an outfit that's doing Linux development than the local Big-
> Box Store chain - but that's strictly a personal opinion.

FYI, I installed Ubuntu PPC on my PS3 and was able to install Mythfrontend
through the package system no problem. Mythfrontend loaded and I could
browse through the menus no problem. Trying to playback a recording brought
the system to its knees though. I think the problem was the limited memory.

Ubuntu doesn't have the most lite weight memory footprint. I don't remember
the exact figure but just sitting at the Ubuntu desktop, used well over half
the system's memory. I definitely saw the system slowdown with the more
applications I loaded. At one point the system didn't like switching
between the multiple xterm, gedit and firefox (which is VERY memory hungry)
windows I was using.

I plan on reinstalling with a more lite weight distro but haven't had the
time.

--
_____________
Ryan Patterson
Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
On Mar 19, 2007, at 9:54 AM, ryan patterson wrote:

> FYI, I installed Ubuntu PPC on my PS3 and was able to install
> Mythfrontend through the package system no problem. Mythfrontend
> loaded and I could browse through the menus no problem. Trying to
> playback a recording brought the system to its knees though. I
> think the problem was the limited memory.

The limited (and non-upgradeable) RAM is certainly a major
limitation. Obviously the RAM might be upgraded with surface-mount
tools and RAM chips, but it would be a non-trivial exercise.

> Ubuntu doesn't have the most lite weight memory footprint. I don't
> remember the exact figure but just sitting at the Ubuntu desktop,
> used well over half the system's memory. I definitely saw the
> system slowdown with the more applications I loaded. At one point
> the system didn't like switching between the multiple xterm, gedit
> and firefox (which is VERY memory hungry) windows I was using.

I was using Enlightenment "E17" as I didn't want to run a "hungry"
desktop. Firefox runs fine in that environment. I was also using
mplayer from the command line, no graphical interface.

> I plan on reinstalling with a more lite weight distro but haven't
> had the time.

Ah. Time, that's the main problem with trying to get *anything* done :-)

Re: PS3 as FrontEnd [ In reply to ]
Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2007, at 9:54 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
>

>> FYI, I installed Ubuntu PPC on my PS3 and was able to install
>> Mythfrontend through the package system no problem. Mythfrontend
>> loaded and I could browse through the menus no problem. Trying to
>> playback a recording brought the system to its knees though. I
>> think the problem was the limited memory.
>>

> The limited (and non-upgradeable) RAM is certainly a major
> limitation. Obviously the RAM might be upgraded with surface-mount
> tools and RAM chips, but it would be a non-trivial exercise.
>

>> Ubuntu doesn't have the most lite weight memory footprint. I don't
>> remember the exact figure but just sitting at the Ubuntu desktop,
>> used well over half the system's memory. I definitely saw the
>> system slowdown with the more applications I loaded. At one point
>> the system didn't like switching between the multiple xterm, gedit
>> and firefox (which is VERY memory hungry) windows I was using.
>>

> I was using Enlightenment "E17" as I didn't want to run a "hungry"
> desktop. Firefox runs fine in that environment. I was also using
> mplayer from the command line, no graphical interface.
>

>> I plan on reinstalling with a more lite weight distro but haven't
>> had the time.
>>

> Ah. Time, that's the main problem with trying to get *anything* done :-)

You guys might be interested in this:

http://www.keshi.org/blog/2007/01/mythtv_on_ps3_linux.html

It's in Japanese though, so:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keshi.org%2Fblog%2F2007%2F01%2Fmythtv_on_ps3_linux.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools