Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  View All
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces@mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-users-bounces@mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Groot Mokum Trust
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 10:11 AM
To: mythtv-users@mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] (no subject)

>SECOND REQUEST
>PLEASE BE SO KIND AND TAKE FROM MAILIST
>

>THANKS
>
>PRAS@WAM.CO.ZA

SECOND REPLY

Go here and remove yourself
http://www.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users/

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 08/19/06 19:47, Schmidt, Bodo wrote:

> I got my Myth box working nicely, but still messing around with the
> hardware mpeg decoders, so right now I'm accessing the videos over my
> network. THe speed is fast enough (the myth box is wireless).
>
> When I use mythweb and look at the recorded shows, things are
> different on PC and MAC:
> PC: The status bar shows the link: myth://192.168.1.70:6543/xxx.mpg
> MAC: The status bar shows the link:
> http://192.168.1.70/mythweb/data/recordings/xxx.mpg
>
> The Mac works wonderfully - it launches Quicktime and streams the
> video. The PC link however doesn't work. I googled a bit and
> installed the DSMyth software, but it still doesn't work.
>
> Right now I'm going through samba manually - it works, but it's just
> difficult because of the file name convention.
>
> Can anybody share how they have it working on a PC?

If you can't get it to work with DSMyth filters on Windows, you can tell
MythWeb not to use the myth:// URL for Windows clients.

If you're using SVN, go into Settings|MythTV global defaults and change
the Video URL as described in the help comment at the bottom of the page.

If you're using 0.19(-fixes)?, edit config/conf.php as described in the
comments:

// video_url is normally determined automatically (a local link to
data/recordings
// for Linux/MacOS, and a myth:// URL for windows machines), but you
can override
// it here to something else if you really need to.
# define('video_url', 'data/recordings');
# define('video_url', 'file://machine_name/path_to_videos');
# define('video_url', 'myth://slave_backend_ip:6543');

Mike
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 8/31/06, alain maisonneuve <alain.maisonneuve_lists@swiftpenguin.com> wrote:
> I just grabbed a copy of 0.19-fixes off of svn.. i get the following
> error any thoughts?:
>
> main.cpp:20:30: error: mythtv/exitcodes.h: No such file or directory

- Did you build and install mythtv *BEFORE* you built mythplugins?
- Do you have a binary package of mythtv installed in a path that's
different than where you built SVN mythtv?

-Ross
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
I am running Unbuntu Breezy, i did install the 0.18 version Binary.

I then built 0.19 from source(Mythtv, MythPlugin, MythTheme) and i am
currently
running with that.

I am building everything in /usr/local

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
nospam312 wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to get TV Out working on a NVIDIA
> FX5200 graphics card at 848x480 resolution?

I do. You need a FX5200 card with a DVI-out port. I use a DVI-to-HDMI
adapter and then an HDMI cable to my Panasonic plasma TV. Works great.

Actually, I'm running 856x480. I've experimented with 848x480.

Here is my modeline: "856x480" 28.4 856 864 896 952 480 482 484 497

One thing that I have noticed, if I boot the system with the TV off using
the default xorg.conf option, Xorg would not detect the TV and give me a
default resolution of 800x600. So I added:

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"

to my Device section. And now it always boots correctly.

One other strange thing. I am using Fedora Core 6 with KDE following Jarod
Wilson's excellent how-to guide. If you follow the menus and open up the
KDE Display Settings tool, it shows the resolution as 800x600. However, if
you run the nvidia-settings utility, it shows the resolution is actually
856x480.

I hope this helps.

Tom
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Feb 8, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Marco Crosio wrote:

> I own a Hauppauge PVR 150 and when i fire Up MythTv, to watch tv, i
> see a distorted and multiple flickering image.

Try:

v4l2-ctl --set-ctrl temporal_filter=0
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
> There are basically three ways to get HD into a Myth system from a
> cable TV source:
>
> By unencrypted QAM, if your cable operator is kind enough to transmit
> HD programming in unencrypted form, which is not too likely and even
> it it's happening you can't count on it continuing. Basically this
> will only be the stuff you could get off-air anyway, with some
> exceptions.
>
> Get one of the cable STBs that output an MPEG stream via firewire.
> Again this only works for unencrypted programming and only with
> certain STBs and only if the cable operator has enabled the F/W port
> (or more likely neglected to disable it). Yes, I know they are
> supposed to enable this feature for the basic broadcast channels but
> try explaining that to the customer service rep.
>
> Spend upwards of $50,000 on a Lucent or Tandberg HD encoder that will
> allow you to encode the component output of a STB into an MPEG stream.
>
> Any other alternatives I'm all ears to hear about.
>
> This will all of course change with time. There are some HDMI capture
> devices that look promising and are relatively "cheap" (ie: under
> $5000) and there are some HD camcorders that apparently have encoder
> chips/chipsets in them that can apparently encode 1080i for well
> under $1000.
>
> But essentially it's the "Hollywood" types who insist on protecting
> their "premium content", and are making things difficult for
> everyone, including themselves if they could only figure that out.
>
> It's not really a technical problem at this point, it's an economic
> and legal one.

Thanks Brian, I'm sure you meant well, but your answer is way over my head. I am just wondering if that card will work or not, using a standard cable hookup. Seems lots of folks are using it. HDTV is available in our subscription.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 2/16/07, michaelachandler@cox.net <michaelachandler@cox.net> wrote:
> > There are basically three ways to get HD into a Myth system from a
> > cable TV source:
> >
> > By unencrypted QAM, if your cable operator is kind enough to transmit
> > HD programming in unencrypted form, which is not too likely and even
> > it it's happening you can't count on it continuing. Basically this
> > will only be the stuff you could get off-air anyway, with some
> > exceptions.
> >
> > Get one of the cable STBs that output an MPEG stream via firewire.
> > Again this only works for unencrypted programming and only with
> > certain STBs and only if the cable operator has enabled the F/W port
> > (or more likely neglected to disable it). Yes, I know they are
> > supposed to enable this feature for the basic broadcast channels but
> > try explaining that to the customer service rep.
> >
> > Spend upwards of $50,000 on a Lucent or Tandberg HD encoder that will
> > allow you to encode the component output of a STB into an MPEG stream.
> >
> > Any other alternatives I'm all ears to hear about.
> >
> > This will all of course change with time. There are some HDMI capture
> > devices that look promising and are relatively "cheap" (ie: under
> > $5000) and there are some HD camcorders that apparently have encoder
> > chips/chipsets in them that can apparently encode 1080i for well
> > under $1000.
> >
> > But essentially it's the "Hollywood" types who insist on protecting
> > their "premium content", and are making things difficult for
> > everyone, including themselves if they could only figure that out.
> >
> > It's not really a technical problem at this point, it's an economic
> > and legal one.
>
> Thanks Brian, I'm sure you meant well, but your answer is way over my head. I am just wondering if that card will work or not, using a standard cable hookup. Seems lots of folks are using it. HDTV is available in our subscription.

Be aware of what an HDTV subscription means. Generally (eg with
Comcast) an HD subscription is an additional $5-10 or so a month and
gives you access to some cable-only HD channels as well as OTA HD
channels. But you'll need an HD-capable STB from your cable company to
actuallty see them in HD, which costs an additional $5 or so per
month.

But the OTA channels are already on the cable before you subscribe to
the company's HD plan. In other words, their plan will only give you
channels like Discovery HD, ESPN HD, etc, which you will most likely
not be able to record in Myth anyway.

You already have (or should have, according to FCC regs) access to
CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, and PBS HD channels no matter what your
subscription is. If you have a QAM-capable card, you should be able to
capture these in Myth already without subscribing to an HD plan.

If you want to go the firewire route, all you need to do is ask your
cable operator for an HD STB (eg the Motorola 6200 series). You'll
have access to the OTA HD stations out of the DVI and component ports
(useless for MythTV), and should have access through the firewire
port. You'll still need to pay an additional $5 per month for the box
but you don't need the HD subscription. If a customer service rep
tells you otherwise, they're lying.

But if you already have a QAM card, then getting the STB won't help
with anything.

Hope this helps.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
---- Dewey Smolka <dsmolka@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> not be able to record in Myth anyway.
>
> You already have (or should have, according to FCC regs) access to
> CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, and PBS HD channels no matter what your
> subscription is. If you have a QAM-capable card, you should be able to
> capture these in Myth already without subscribing to an HD plan.
>
> If you want to go the firewire route, all you need to do is ask your
> cable operator for an HD STB (eg the Motorola 6200 series). You'll
> have access to the OTA HD stations out of the DVI and component ports
> (useless for MythTV), and should have access through the firewire
> port. You'll still need to pay an additional $5 per month for the box
> but you don't need the HD subscription. If a customer service rep
> tells you otherwise, they're lying.
>
> But if you already have a QAM card, then getting the STB won't help

It certainly does. I appreciate it. Lots of good info there.
Thanks.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
I want to thank all who responded to this.

My situation is perhaps different than most of you, in that I'll be sharing my cable with my landlord, who resides in a seperate residence on the same property.

The incoming cable is split before it goes into his house where he has the "cable box" from the provider on his TV. The other split goes to my house. In my house I split it again, for TV and for internet.

I was concerned that the signal need to go through his "cable box" before it comes to me, in order for me to have HDTV. The way I read your replies, I'll still be able to get fox, nbc, abc, and a few others without that.
That's all I need anyway.
Thanks again, folks.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Feb 16, 2007, at 7:36 PM, <michaelachandler@cox.net> wrote:

> I want to thank all who responded to this.
>
> My situation is perhaps different than most of you, in that I'll be
> sharing my cable with my landlord, who resides in a seperate
> residence on the same property.
>
> The incoming cable is split before it goes into his house where he
> has the "cable box" from the provider on his TV. The other split
> goes to my house. In my house I split it again, for TV and for
> internet.
>
> I was concerned that the signal need to go through his "cable box"
> before it comes to me, in order for me to have HDTV. The way I read
> your replies, I'll still be able to get fox, nbc, abc, and a few
> others without that.
> That's all I need anyway.

You may or you may not, it depends on your cable provider.

If they are sending the local off-air channels as unencrypted QAM,
and your capture card can deal with QAM, and if it is a Myth-
supported supported card, then what you say is correct.

But that's a lot of "ifs". Some cable operators encrypt even what
they are not "supposed" to, and literally thumb their noses at the
rules. Some operators literally don't know what you would be talking
about, and the effort to get them to abide by the rules might not be
worth it.

If you live in a major metro area you can probably get the local
affiliates as off-air ATSC channels with rabbit ears, which your card
can almost certainly deal with given a decent signal. A lot of the
cards that can deal with QAM require a fairly strong signal to work
well, and from what you say about the number of splits that might be
a problem.

In short YMMV. If you can find a Myth user on your cable system you
might get more specific information, but there are no guarantees.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
to sum this up, your card will pull in only the unencrypted digital
channels (most likely, just the local network channels). any premium
digital channels (HBO, ESPN-HD, etc) will be decoded by a rented set
top box for viewing on your TV, and might be recordable in myth, but
only via the firewire port on the set top box, if it has one, and if
it's enabled.
-J

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
---- jason maxwell <decepticon@gmail.com> wrote:
> to sum this up, your card will pull in only the unencrypted digital
> channels (most likely, just the local network channels). any premium
> digital channels (HBO, ESPN-HD, etc) will be decoded by a rented set
> top box for viewing on your TV, and might be recordable in myth, but
> only via the firewire port on the set top box, if it has one, and if
> it's enabled.
> -J

Thanks Jason, Brian and everyone,

I went ahead and bought a used AVerMedia MCE A180 HD Tuner Card for I think good price, from what I've seen here, they are Mythtv compatible.

I'll call the provider when I get home and see about those things you mention.

I suppose I'll have to leave my other card in place to get regular channels (ATI TV wonder VE)?
`
Your time and knowledge is always appreciated.

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Feb 17, 2007, at 7:42 AM, <michaelachandler@cox.net> wrote:

> Thanks Jason, Brian and everyone,
>
> I went ahead and bought a used AVerMedia MCE A180 HD Tuner Card
> for I think good price, from what I've seen here, they are Mythtv
> compatible.
>
> I'll call the provider when I get home and see about those things
> you mention.
>
> I suppose I'll have to leave my other card in place to get regular
> channels (ATI TV wonder VE)?

Some HD tuner cards can also function as simple frame grabber analog
cards as well (the HD-3K for example). I'm not sure if the A180 can
do that or not, and switching between modes can sometimes be tricky.

But if you have the slots available multiple tuners are always
desirable, I certainly wouldn't throw away a working card.

> `
> Your time and knowledge is always appreciated.

All of it free and all of it worth precisely what it costs :-)

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 00:46 +0100, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 05/05/07, Nathan A. Smith <nasa01@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Hi Mythgang,
> >

> > I recently had to rebuild my mythbox. I backed up all my data including
> > the database by following the steps presented here:
> >
> > http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Backup_your_database
> >

> > Rebuilt the box, installed all applicable software and recompiled myth
> > from svn. Imported the database and went through the steps to
> > reconfigure myth.
> >
> > At this point, most everything is back to normal with exception of a
> > couple of items:
> >
> > 1. (and most important) I can no longer schedule shows to record. I
> > have attempted it both in mythweb and the schedule options under
> > mythfrontend. I follow the steps to schedule a show and everything is
> > accepted as usual -- to include it showing up in "recording schedule"
> > under mythtv. However, no showings are present in "upcoming recording".
> > And yes, this does include shows that were only an hour a way.... This
> > is true in both mythfrontend and mythweb. And of course, no shows are
> > recorded.
>
> Michael Dean replied to an almost identical query a few days ago, so
> check the archives. You probably want to delete all you capture cards
> and video sources to remove any stale/broken settings.
>
> > 2. Under mythweb, "recorded shows" -- none of the preview images are
> > present any more. Where have they gone?
>
> Check the permissions on your recordings folder where the thumbnails
> are created and also the mythtweb files in your webserver root, and
> your httpd error logs to ensure mythweb is correctly installed.
>
> Nick

Thanks Nick,

Appreciate you taking the time to look at my problems.... First off, I
screwed up by not adding a subject before hitting the send button. Not
sure if it was a mistake to correct that by sending a new one with a
subject line included (see: Box rebuild issues).

Although I didn't see Dean's email -- I had already deleted/recreated my
capture cards 3x.

Looking at my error logs (should have thought of that myself) I noted
that I forgot to copy those from my orginal install. Is there a way to
recreate them?

BTW: the error log only listed missing one file -- even though quite a
few were missing, which I thought was kinda odd.

Nasa

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 05/06/2007 12:17 AM, Nathan A. Smith wrote:
> Although I didn't see Dean's email -- I had already deleted/recreated my
> capture cards 3x.

You have to use "Delete all capture cards" (and not "Delete all capture
cards on <hostname>") or it won't clean up enough mess.

Also, you'll probably need to use the "Delete all video sources" button
to delete your video sources. Then re-create capture cards, video
sources, input connections, and channels.

If you don't use the "Delete all" buttons mentioned above, you're
wasting your time.

Mike

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 00:37 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/06/2007 12:17 AM, Nathan A. Smith wrote:
> > Although I didn't see Dean's email -- I had already deleted/recreated my
> > capture cards 3x.
>
> You have to use "Delete all capture cards" (and not "Delete all capture
> cards on <hostname>") or it won't clean up enough mess.
>
> Also, you'll probably need to use the "Delete all video sources" button
> to delete your video sources. Then re-create capture cards, video
> sources, input connections, and channels.
>
> If you don't use the "Delete all" buttons mentioned above, you're
> wasting your time.
>
> Mike

Mike,

I followed the following instructions when I deleted and recreated my
capture cards/video sources

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/260033?search_string=delete%20capture%20cards;#260033

Nasa

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
David Frascone wrote:
> I use dyndns.
>
> -Dave
>
> On 6/13/07, edilbeck@cox.net <edilbeck@cox.net> wrote:
>>

>> > Just wondering how everyone redirects to MythWeb running at home if
>> they
>> have a dynamic IP. I created some scripts on >a co-owned server [. and
>> have
>> cron (on my local mythbox) hitting them every so often. This way I get
>> >redirected to whatever my current dynamic IP is. If there is [Eric
>> Dilbeck] > enough of a need, I would open this
>> >option up to other MythWeb users.
>>
>> I was also wandering how people did this. I have not dig deep enough into
>> this problem yet. But I was wanting to do this with out any cosy(dyn dns
>> service) I do have a domain. Is there a way for my Myth box to ftp the
>> current dyn ip to my web server so it always know how to get to my
>> myth box?

Script writing for this purpose is not necessary.
LinkSys ( and many other brand) routers have a dynamic dns report
capability and they are cheap. The WRT54G for example can be found for
as little as $50. On top of that, I think my DyDNS costs only $15 a
year. It's even cheaper if you use their domain rather than your own
(That is, getting 'yourname.dydns.com' is a little cheaper than having
them "host" yourname.com. I own the domain name being pointed to).

The LinkSys us VERY VERY easy to set up, and absolutely reliable. I've
only played with it so far but it works. I flashed it with the free
DD-WRT firmware which enhanced the capabilities (and made the interface
more user friendly).

Buy yourself a father's day present and get a router if you don't
already have one. Or buy a better router if yours does not do dydns.

It's not really worth the hassle of doing it any other way.

R. Geoffrey Newbury

Helping with the HTTP issue
Re: Dynamic IPs was: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
R. G. Newbury wrote:

> It's not really worth the hassle of doing it any other way.

I still say a static IP is the way to go, solves a LOT of problems.

I don't know about your ISP, but I'm paying $4.95/month for two static
IPs, hardly enough to really worry about.

But, as always, whatever works for you.

BEWW
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
R. G. Newbury wrote:
> David Frascone wrote:
>
>> I use dyndns.
>>
>> -Dave

>>> they
>>> have a dynamic IP. I created some scripts on >a co-owned server [. and
>>> have
>>> cron (on my local mythbox) hitting them every so often. This way I get

>>> Dilbeck] > enough of a need, I would open this

>>> I was also wandering how people did this. I have not dig deep enough into
>>> this problem yet. But I was wanting to do this with out any cosy(dyn dns
>>> service) I do have a domain. Is there a way for my Myth box to ftp the
>>> current dyn ip to my web server so it always know how to get to my
>>> myth box?
>>>

> Script writing for this purpose is not necessary.
> LinkSys ( and many other brand) routers have a dynamic dns report
> capability and they are cheap. The WRT54G for example can be found for
> as little as $50. On top of that, I think my DyDNS costs only $15 a
> year. It's even cheaper if you use their domain rather than your own
> (That is, getting 'yourname.dydns.com' is a little cheaper than having
> them "host" yourname.com. I own the domain name being pointed to).

If you have your own domain name and a router that doesn't have dynamic
dns reporting another option is to run ddclient. It will ping your
router every x minutes to see if your WAN address has changed. If it
detects a change it will update the DNS service of your choice. I've
been using it with zoneedit for the last 2 years with no problems. If
you already have a domain this option will cost you nothing :)

Patrick
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]

Same here. I use dyndns.org, but my router take care of updating the
ip. Together with a forward rule to the mythbox in lan, i can reach
it from outside (if it is online) - it was great while the soccer
world championship - i could verify the pc is up and recording the
matches i can't see, while at work... :)

My 2 cents,
Andreas

Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
On 02/07/07, m.hutchinson@comcast.net <m.hutchinson@comcast.net> wrote:
> I just read on goldfish.org that Zap2It is going to discontinue their service. Does anyone know of a replacement yet?

Surely not? Hadn't we better discuss it a few thousand times here? Oh,
wait, we already did.

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@bowyer.org
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
m.hutchinson@comcast.net wrote:
> I just read on goldfish.org that Zap2It is going to discontinue their service. Does anyone know of a replacement yet?

Nope. Nobody here knows anything about this.
Re: (no subject) [ In reply to ]
m.hutchinson@comcast.net wrote:
> I just read on goldfish.org that Zap2It is going to discontinue their service. Does anyone know of a replacement yet?
>
> Thanks

Duck. Flying objects their way.....