Thanks
--
Chris Rickert <chris.rickert@mchsi.com>
Re: xv support with Riva TNT2 card [ In reply to ]
I have been using a Riva TNT2 some time and it worked great, but the
tvchip of my card wasnt very good so the tvout had low quality. Anyway I
was using the nvidia binary only drivers from www.nvidia.com

//Joel

Re:xv support with Riva TNT2 card [ In reply to ]
>I have been using a Riva TNT2 some time and it worked great, but the
>tvchip of my card wasnt very good so the tvout had low quality. Anyway I
>was using the nvidia binary only drivers from www.nvidia.com

>//Joel

>Chris Rickert wrote:

>I'm reading through the archives and have noticed that some cards don't
>allow xv support. I've got a Riva TNT2 card and am running mandrake
>9.0. Is there anyway to get xv support for that card to work? are
>there any driver projects devoted to this? It looks like it's sort of a
>common problem with myth and actually being able to see a picture.
>

>Thanks

I installed the latest binary Nvidia drivers and have solved the xv support
issue. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I always thought that I had
the correct drivers since Mandrake detected a Riva TNT2 - i guess i didn't.

I was able to watch TV for a minute until it froze when I tried to change
channels. It looks like another sound issue, although I thought I had alsa all
shored up and working. I cnt-c out of myth and noticed some errors again about
DSP and setting volume to 32### ...whatever.

Got another question about resizing the size of the TV viewing screen. When the
live TV briefly worked, it covered my whole screen. How can this be made
smaller when mythtv starts?
Re: xv support with Riva TNT2 card [ In reply to ]
Chris Rickert <chris.rickert@mchsi.com> remarked:
> I'm reading through the archives and have noticed that some cards don't
> allow xv support. I've got a Riva TNT2 card and am running mandrake
> 9.0. Is there anyway to get xv support for that card to work? are
> there any driver projects devoted to this? It looks like it's sort of a
> common problem with myth and actually being able to see a picture.

The native XF86 "nv" driver supports Xv with TNT2 cards with XFree86
v4.2.0 or newer. Though I would have thought Mandrake 9.0 would be
new enough for this to be satisfied.

Whether or not the nv driver is sufficient in the TV out arena for
Mythtv is another issue. So far I haven't been able to get good
quality scaled Xv video to look right on in TV out mode (looks
messed on both the monitor and the TV). But if you switch to a
normal set of scan frequencies Xv works great. It may be necessary
to use the binary-only "nvidia" XF86 driver to fix this. But the
free driver is so stable I hate to switch.

Dan