Mailing List Archive

mythfrontend hang(?)
Hi Everybody,

I have ivtv working fine, such that cat /dev/video > foo.mpg produced a file
with video and audio that plays back properly with xine and alsa09. I have a
Hauppauge 350.

However, when I fire up first the mythbackend and then the mythfrontend and
try to watch TV, the mythfrontend appears to hang. I see these error
messages:

mythfrontend:
linuxpc> ( setenv QTDIR /usr/lib/qt-3.0.3 ; mythfrontend )
connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
QDir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory: /dev/sound
QDir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory: /dev/sound

mythbackend:
linuxpc> ( setenv QTDIR /usr/lib/qt-3.0.3 ; mythbackend )
Starting up as the master server.
adding: tux as a player 1
adding: tux as a player 0
adding: tux as a player 0
adding: tux as a remote ringbuffer
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
VIDIOCGCAP:: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSAUDIO: Invalid argument

My hostname is 'tux'. I don't know why its looking for /dev/sound - I have no
such file on my machine, and sound playback with ALSA 0.9.2 seems to work
just fine (there is no /dev/sound in snddevices, but there is /dev/snd -
symlinking the two together doesn't solve the problem). aRtsd is not
running.

Finally, I found this info in /var/log/messages:

Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: v4l2 open on minor 0
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: current minor 0
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: opened card # 0, stream 0
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: v4l2 ioctl 0xc0347604
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: ivtv-api.c: unknown ioctl 0xc0347604
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: v4l2 ioctl 0x40347605
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: ivtv-api.c: unknown ioctl 0x40347605
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: v4l2 ioctl 0x803c7601
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: ivtv-api.c: unknown ioctl 0x803c7601
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: v4l2 ioctl 0xc0307602
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: ivtv-api.c: unknown ioctl 0xc0307602
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: v4l2 ioctl 0x40307603
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: ivtv-api.c: unknown ioctl 0x40307603
Apr 27 19:51:01 tux kernel: ivtv: v4l2 close

Apr 27 19:43:16 tux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-134

Any ideas would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Andy
--
Andy Stewart, Founder
Worcester Linux Users' Group
Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 April 2003 07:55 pm, Andy Stewart wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I have ivtv working fine, such that cat /dev/video > foo.mpg produced a
> file with video and audio that plays back properly with xine and alsa09. I
> have a Hauppauge 350.
>
> However, when I fire up first the mythbackend and then the mythfrontend and
> try to watch TV, the mythfrontend appears to hang. I see these error
> messages:

You don't have the card set to 'Hardware MPEG Encoder' in the setup program.

Isaac
Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 April 2003 8:00 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2003 07:55 pm, Andy Stewart wrote:
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > I have ivtv working fine, such that cat /dev/video > foo.mpg produced a
> > file with video and audio that plays back properly with xine and alsa09.
> > I have a Hauppauge 350.
> >
> > However, when I fire up first the mythbackend and then the mythfrontend
> > and try to watch TV, the mythfrontend appears to hang. I see these error
> > messages:
>
> You don't have the card set to 'Hardware MPEG Encoder' in the setup
> program.

Actually, I do (I think).

In the setup/setup file, I have the capture card set to "Standard V4L or MJPEG
Capture card".

In the mythfrontend, setup, recording, the Video Compression codec is set for
HW MJPEG.

Is there a file where this info is stored so I can see if it really was set?

Thanks,

Andy

Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 April 2003 08:41 pm, Andy Stewart wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2003 8:00 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 April 2003 07:55 pm, Andy Stewart wrote:
> > > Hi Everybody,
> > >
> > > I have ivtv working fine, such that cat /dev/video > foo.mpg produced a
> > > file with video and audio that plays back properly with xine and
> > > alsa09. I have a Hauppauge 350.
> > >
> > > However, when I fire up first the mythbackend and then the mythfrontend
> > > and try to watch TV, the mythfrontend appears to hang. I see these
> > > error messages:
> >
> > You don't have the card set to 'Hardware MPEG Encoder' in the setup
> > program.
>
> Actually, I do (I think).
>
> In the setup/setup file, I have the capture card set to "Standard V4L or
> MJPEG Capture card".

In what strange world is 'Hardware MPEG Encoder card' the same thing as

Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]

> > > You don't have the card set to 'Hardware MPEG Encoder' in the setup
> > > program.
> >
> > Actually, I do (I think).
> >
> > In the setup/setup file, I have the capture card set to "Standard V4L or
> > MJPEG Capture card".
>
> In what strange world is 'Hardware MPEG Encoder card' the same thing as
> 'Standard V4L or MJPEG capture card'?

In the setup/setup program, the two choices presented to me are:
Standard V4L or MJPEG Capture Card
No V4L@ support, Hardware MPEG Disabled

I assumed the first was correct. There is no third choice. Is there another
place in the GUI where "Hardware MPEG Encoder" is a viable choice? I've not
seen it.

Thanks,

Andy
Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 April 2003 09:52 pm, Andy Stewart wrote:
> In the setup/setup program, the two choices presented to me are:
> Standard V4L or MJPEG Capture Card
> No V4L@ support, Hardware MPEG Disabled
>
> I assumed the first was correct. There is no third choice. Is there
> another place in the GUI where "Hardware MPEG Encoder" is a viable choice?
> I've not seen it.

The 'No V4l2 support, Hardware MPEG Disabled' is an error message.

See:
for what to do.

Isaac
Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 April 2003 10:11 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2003 09:52 pm, Andy Stewart wrote:
> > In the setup/setup program, the two choices presented to me are:
> > Standard V4L or MJPEG Capture Card
> > No V4L@ support, Hardware MPEG Disabled
> >
> > I assumed the first was correct. There is no third choice. Is there
> > another place in the GUI where "Hardware MPEG Encoder" is a viable
> > choice? I've not seen it.
>
> The 'No V4l2 support, Hardware MPEG Disabled' is an error message.
>
> See:
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html#ss18.15
> for what to do.

Hi Isaac,

Having done that and insuring that I didn't receive a compile time warning at
mpegrecorder.cpp regarding v4l2, I still cannot see a "Hardware MPEG Encoder"
selection in the setup program. I do see these errors, however:

QDir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory: /dev/v4l
QDir::readDirEntries: Cannot read the directory: /dev/sound

I did apply the patch-2.4.20-kraxel.tar.gz from April 10th, 2003. I've
insured that videodev.h has the v4l2 define in there.

What else should I check?

Thanks,

Andy

Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]
Andy,

I had the same problems and placed videodev.h and videodev2.h (from
/usr/include/linux) into MC/libs/[.dir where an other videodev_..h file
exists - the one for MJPEG I think]. I don't have the actual path here,
since im not in Linux at the moment.

Just type "make distclean ; make; make install" and go to the setup.

If it doesn't help, tell me,then I will double check, if I get the same
problem again after deleting the two files again (and I will look up the
concrete directory where I placed the .h files).

regards
Leonard

Re: mythfrontend hang(?) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 28 April 2003 5:38 am, Leonard Penzer wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I had the same problems and placed videodev.h and videodev2.h (from
> /usr/include/linux) into MC/libs/[.dir where an other videodev_..h file
> exists - the one for MJPEG I think]. I don't have the actual path here,
> since im not in Linux at the moment.
>
> Just type "make distclean ; make; make install" and go to the setup.
>
> If it doesn't help, tell me,then I will double check, if I get the same
> problem again after deleting the two files again (and I will look up the
> concrete directory where I placed the .h files).

Hello Leonard,

This tip helped immensely! I have now configured the Hardware MPEG encoder
and watch TV actually works on one channel in full screen mode! I still have
several other things to work out, but this is a huge step forward. Thanks!

Andy