I tested some PVRs and mythtv looks the most promising to me, however
DVD playing is important to me.

Ralf
RE: DVD player support [ In reply to ]
DVD support is already available through mplayer. I created a little
DVD/SVCD entry for my main menu. It executes the following shell script
to watch the DVD:

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0.0
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -fs -nolirc -zoom -quiet -dvd 1

The SVCD script looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0.0
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -fs -nolirc -zoom -quiet -vcd 2

The DVD/SVCD menu I created looks like this:

<mythmenu name="DVD and SVCD">

<button>
<type>DVD</type>
<text>DVD</text>
<action>EXEC mythdvd</action>
</button>

<button>
<type>SVCD</type>
<text>SVCD</text>
<action>EXEC mythsvcd</action>
</button>
</mythmenu>

The main menu entry looks like this:

<button>
<type>DVD and SVCD</type>
<text>DVD and SVCD</text>
<action>MENU dvdmenu.xml</action>
<depends>mythvideo-settings.txt</depends>
</button>

Hope that helps!

Jason Ramey
webmaster@permutation.org

are there any plans or even efforts to add DVD playing capabilities to
mythtv?

Re: DVD player support [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 20 April 2003 07:47 am, Ralf Haller wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> are there any plans or even efforts to add DVD playing capabilities to
> mythtv?
>
> I tested some PVRs and mythtv looks the most promising to me, however
> DVD playing is important to me.

There's a couple ways to easily add it discussed at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=55126

A more integrated player would be nice, but I'm not to interested in such a
thing (hardware dvd player == better than software playback in linux) so the
code would have to come from someone else =)

Isaac
Re: DVD player support [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Sunday 20 April 2003 07:47 am, Ralf Haller wrote:
>

>>Hello group,
>>
>>are there any plans or even efforts to add DVD playing capabilities to
>>mythtv?
>>
>>I tested some PVRs and mythtv looks the most promising to me, however
>>DVD playing is important to me.
>>

>There's a couple ways to easily add it discussed at:
>
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=55126
>
>A more integrated player would be nice, but I'm not to interested in such a
>thing (hardware dvd player == better than software playback in linux) so the

Do you mean better in the sense of quality (video, audio) or
compatibility (DVDs with menus and add-ons)?

Ralf