pulling my hair out here....i tried to follow the directions in the
Documentation as much as possible...

chris john
RE: actisys fustration.... [ In reply to ]
What does dmesg say?
Also check the log /var/log/lircd

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces@snowman.net
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces@snowman.net] On Behalf Of chris john
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 5:41 PM
To: mythtv-users@snowman.net
Subject: [mythtv-users] actisys fustration....

I'm running mandrake 9.1 ... I just bought an actisys ir blaster. Its a
200L.
I compiled lirc 6.6 picking the actisys 200l and com port 2 ( since this
is
the port it seems to work on in windows..) then i changed the line in
modules.conf to alias char-major-61 lirc_sir
depmod -a
ldconfig
then i did a setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none
i figured i should use ttyS1 since i'm using com2.
then i did a modprobe lirc_sir
then i said /usr/local/sbin/lircd
then i did irw
and nothing happens it just drops back to the command line. I check my
syslog
and messages files for messages and there nothing there. Not a thing
from
lirc. I'm interested in knowing what line other people with the acisys
have
in there modules.conf file when it comes to lirc. Also what am i doing
wrong?... I have every other part of my mythtv setup working except
this.
I've never had much luck with lirc before. So if anyone has any pointers
would appreciate it. thanks.... feel free to email me if you want....
i'm

RE: actisys fustration.... [ In reply to ]
Well I have given up on the Actisys.

I built the home brew transmitter and it works like a charm with my Star
choice receiver.
Just updating everything and changing channels with no problems.

My advice, any one can build this transmitter! Build it and it will
work!

RE: actisys fustration.... [ In reply to ]
So you suggest that over using Actisys? I have Mandrake 9.1 and an
Actisys I200L. I am trying so desperately to get it programmed to
change channels with my Echostar Dish Network box. I am not sure what
to do at this point :-(. I would make one or buy another one if I knew
what to make/buy. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Craig Hindall
chindall@enterpriseds.com

RE: actisys fustration.... [ In reply to ]
There are some templates for the echostar, did you try those? I tried
using them with my star choice, they almost worked, only about 40% of
the time it would work.

I used this transmitter.
http://www.lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html

Very simple to make, let me know if you need help with it.