Mailing List Archive

MythTV + HD
Two questions, really. I've moved my test MythTV system from SVIDEO
over to COMPONENT input on my 56" Panasonic Projection TV and, well, it
looks like I have entered the realm of another large hurdle.

First off, if the config I have for my nVidia card is kept the same, the
display comes up in 4:3 mode. So.. if I go back and change the setting
to 480p, it does come up full screen (hooray) but way too large (boo).
Watching SD recordings, as one would guess, is ok.. but the horizontal
lines (aka: the missing 240 lines from the SD frames) is a pain.. I
wouldn't mind it if there was a way to have it change to 480i when
displaying recordings or watching tv.. or something..

If I go back and set it to 720p, the display shows up as if I am
displaying a 20" display in the middle of this 56" screen (black all of
the way around, image is *small*).

Setting to 1080i displays as if it is in 4:3 mode.

I've read a couple of postings and the one over at wilsonet.com. It
seems like there is a fair bit of voodoo on this.. Any pointers would be
much appreciated!

Thanks!
-Rich
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
Mark Lehrer wrote:
>> If I go back and set it to 720p, the display shows up as if I am
>> displaying a 20" display in the middle of this 56" screen (black all
>> of the way around, image is *small*).
>>

> Which kind of TV is it exactly? You may have to find someone with
> the same exact model. Does it have a DVI or HDMI input?

It's a Panasonic 56" PT56WXF95 with component and svideo inputs. If it
had VGA, DVI, or HDMI inputs, I would be set since the sync and other
modeline information is communicated back from the TV. But, with
component communication, it is only one-way..

I figure I am going to have to wait and try this with our 32" LCD flat
panel TV when we get it back from the shop (should be soon, I hope..
it's been out for over a month!). It died right after Thanksgiving
(unit was only 8months old!) and the manufacturer opt'ed to replace it
entirely. If everything works as I expect it to with the 32" LCD, then
it just might be time to sell the rear projection and go for something new.

I tried for a few hours last night to see if I can get it to display
properly via component, but the best I could get was 720x480 (720p),
which, in to itself, is awesome, but the display of recorded programs
(not mythvideo stuff) looked absolutely horrible. I believe is because
displaying SDTV recordings (480i) in a progressive mode means that 1/2
of the lines are missing.

On top of that, the image had a TON of overscan. Via component hookup,
the nvidia-settings control panel didn't give nearly the same options
that it did when I was hooked up via s-video.

-Rich
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
> I tried for a few hours last night to see if I can get it to display
> properly via component, but the best I could get was 720x480 (720p),
> which, in to itself, is awesome, but the display of recorded programs
> (not mythvideo stuff) looked absolutely horrible. I believe is because
> displaying SDTV recordings (480i) in a progressive mode means that 1/2
> of the lines are missing.

Nit: 720x480 is not 720p, 720x480 is a "480" (DVD) resolution. 720p (or
720p60) is defined as 1280 (horizontal pixels) x 720 (vertical lines/pixels)
@60 frames per second. Turning on deinterlacing might help display of 480i
content.

> On top of that, the image had a TON of overscan. Via component hookup,
> the nvidia-settings control panel didn't give nearly the same options
> that it did when I was hooked up via s-video.

Yup, the nvidia drivers still need work...

Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
Henry A Harper III wrote:
>> I tried for a few hours last night to see if I can get it to display
>> properly via component, but the best I could get was 720x480 (720p),
>> which, in to itself, is awesome, but the display of recorded programs
>> (not mythvideo stuff) looked absolutely horrible. I believe is because
>> displaying SDTV recordings (480i) in a progressive mode means that 1/2
>> of the lines are missing.
>>

> Nit: 720x480 is not 720p, 720x480 is a "480" (DVD) resolution. 720p (or
> 720p60) is defined as 1280 (horizontal pixels) x 720 (vertical lines/pixels)
> @60 frames per second. Turning on deinterlacing might help display of 480i
> content.
>

>> On top of that, the image had a TON of overscan. Via component hookup,
>> the nvidia-settings control panel didn't give nearly the same options
>> that it did when I was hooked up via s-video.
>>

> Yup, the nvidia drivers still need work...

Sorry 'bout that. I tried so many different things, I was dizzy by the
time I tossed in the towel and went back to s-video. Yes, 720x480 gave
the best results (480p), and 720p (1280x720) and 1080i (1900x1200) both
came up funky.

I would guess that VGA, DVI, or even HDMI would work 'out of the box',
so to speak. But, until I get that TV back, I can't test/confirm that.

-Rich
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
Henry,

I have figured out how to enable Component out on nVidia Cards. Im going to right a How-to soon on fedora forum but in the mean time here is the basic install.

Install the nvidia drivers
add this to the Screen section of your monitor...

Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"Option "TvOutFormat" "Component"

#------------480p Group-----------------------------
#Option "TVStandard" "HD480p"#Option "metamodes" "CRT: 720x480 +0+0"

#------------720p Group-----------------------------
Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x720 +0+0"

#------------1080i Group-----------------------------
#Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0" #Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"

Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"SubSection "Display" Depth 24 Modes "720x480" "1280x720" "1920x1018"EndSubSection
To select the resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080i) uncomment that group of options. Only have one group uncommented at a time. For me all modes work great! This was a huge pain for me to figure out but after many hours of reading and testing there you go!.

Giving back to the MythTV/Linux community...

Mitchell

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:28:47 -0500> From: Rich.West@wesmo.com> To: mythtv-users@mythtv.org> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV + HD> > Henry A Harper III wrote:> >> I tried for a few hours last night to see if I can get it to display> >> properly via component, but the best I could get was 720x480 (720p),> >> which, in to itself, is awesome, but the display of recorded programs> >> (not mythvideo stuff) looked absolutely horrible. I believe is because> >> displaying SDTV recordings (480i) in a progressive mode means that 1/2> >> of the lines are missing.> >> > >> > Nit: 720x480 is not 720p, 720x480 is a "480" (DVD) resolution. 720p (or> > 720p60) is defined as 1280 (horizontal pixels) x 720 (vertical lines/pixels)> > @60 frames per second. Turning on deinterlacing might help display of 480i> > content.> >> > > >> On top of that, the image had a TON of overscan. Via component hookup,> >> the nvidia-settings control panel didn't give nearly the same options> >> that it did when I was hooked up via s-video.> >> > >> > Yup, the nvidia drivers still need work...> > Sorry 'bout that. I tried so many different things, I was dizzy by the> time I tossed in the towel and went back to s-video. Yes, 720x480 gave> the best results (480p), and 720p (1280x720) and 1080i (1900x1200) both> came up funky.> > I would guess that VGA, DVI, or even HDMI would work 'out of the box',> so to speak. But, until I get that TV back, I can't test/confirm that.> > -Rich> _______________________________________________> mythtv-users mailing list> mythtv-users@mythtv.org> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
Get into the holiday spirit, chat with Santa on Messenger.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
Mitchell Gore wrote:
> Henry,
>
> I have figured out how to enable Component out on nVidia Cards. Im
> going to right a How-to soon on fedora forum but in the mean time here
> is the basic install.
>
> Install the nvidia drivers
> add this to the Screen section of your monitor...
>

> Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
> Option "TvOutFormat" "Component"
>

> #------------480p Group-----------------------------
>
> #Option "TVStandard" "HD480p"
> #Option "metamodes" "CRT: 720x480 +0+0"
>

> #------------720p Group-----------------------------
>
> Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
> Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x720 +0+0"
>

> #------------1080i Group-----------------------------
>
> #Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0"
> #Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
>

> Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "720x480" "1280x720" "1920x1018"
> EndSubSection
>
> To select the resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080i) uncomment that group
> of options. Only have one group uncommented at a time. For me all
> modes work great! This was a huge pain for me to figure out but after
> many hours of reading and testing there you go!.
>

> Giving back to the MythTV/Linux community...

Thank you! This works rather well. Changing modes (for testing
purposes) was extremely easy.

Now if I could just get the Recorded SD programs to look "normal" as
opposed to being more grainy... The xorg.conf settings definitely help
A LOT.

-Rich
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
Rich West wrote:
> Mitchell Gore wrote:
>
>> Henry,
>>
>> I have figured out how to enable Component out on nVidia Cards. Im
>> going to right a How-to soon on fedora forum but in the mean time here
>> is the basic install.
>>
>> Install the nvidia drivers
>> add this to the Screen section of your monitor...
>>

>> Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"
>> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
>> Option "TvOutFormat" "Component"
>>

>> #------------480p Group-----------------------------
>>
>> #Option "TVStandard" "HD480p"
>> #Option "metamodes" "CRT: 720x480 +0+0"
>>

>> #------------720p Group-----------------------------
>>
>> Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
>> Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x720 +0+0"
>>

>> #------------1080i Group-----------------------------
>>
>> #Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0"
>> #Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
>>

>> Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
>> SubSection "Display"
>> Depth 24
>> Modes "720x480" "1280x720" "1920x1018"
>> EndSubSection
>>
>> To select the resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080i) uncomment that group
>> of options. Only have one group uncommented at a time. For me all
>> modes work great! This was a huge pain for me to figure out but after
>> many hours of reading and testing there you go!.
>>

>> Giving back to the MythTV/Linux community...
>>

> Thank you! This works rather well. Changing modes (for testing
> purposes) was extremely easy.
>
> Now if I could just get the Recorded SD programs to look "normal" as
> opposed to being more grainy... The xorg.conf settings definitely help
> A LOT.

Hrmm.. I'm getting no-where. The xorg.conf options above work like a
champ, producing excellent MythVideo and menus, but when I bring up
current recordings they, well, look awful. Horizontal interlace lines
are visible during moderate motion, the colors seem a bit off (red is
blasted out), and the picture appears somewhat grainy.. or maybe
grainy/snowy (not sure how to describe it). Changing the interlace from
"detect" to "interlaced" makes no difference.

Now, via S-Video, the current recordings look good, but at the sacrifice
of everything else. (man, 720p menus look crystal clear)

I'm not sure what else to try/check... Anyone have any ideas?
-Rich
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
On 1/12/07, Rich West <Rich.West@wesmo.com> wrote:
> Rich West wrote:
> > Mitchell Gore wrote:
> >
> >> Henry,
> >>
> >> I have figured out how to enable Component out on nVidia Cards. Im
> >> going to right a How-to soon on fedora forum but in the mean time here
> >> is the basic install.
> >>
> >> Install the nvidia drivers
> >> add this to the Screen section of your monitor...
> >>

> >> Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"
> >> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
> >> Option "TvOutFormat" "Component"
> >>

> >> #------------480p Group-----------------------------
> >>
> >> #Option "TVStandard" "HD480p"
> >> #Option "metamodes" "CRT: 720x480 +0+0"
> >>

> >> #------------720p Group-----------------------------
> >>
> >> Option "TVStandard" "HD720p"
> >> Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x720 +0+0"
> >>

> >> #------------1080i Group-----------------------------
> >>
> >> #Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1920x1080 +0+0"
> >> #Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
> >>

> >> Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
> >> SubSection "Display"
> >> Depth 24
> >> Modes "720x480" "1280x720" "1920x1018"
> >> EndSubSection
> >>
> >> To select the resolution (480p, 720p, or 1080i) uncomment that group
> >> of options. Only have one group uncommented at a time. For me all
> >> modes work great! This was a huge pain for me to figure out but after
> >> many hours of reading and testing there you go!.
> >>

> >> Giving back to the MythTV/Linux community...
> >>

> > Thank you! This works rather well. Changing modes (for testing
> > purposes) was extremely easy.
> >
> > Now if I could just get the Recorded SD programs to look "normal" as
> > opposed to being more grainy... The xorg.conf settings definitely help
> > A LOT.
>

> Hrmm.. I'm getting no-where. The xorg.conf options above work like a
> champ, producing excellent MythVideo and menus, but when I bring up
> current recordings they, well, look awful. Horizontal interlace lines
> are visible during moderate motion, the colors seem a bit off (red is
> blasted out), and the picture appears somewhat grainy.. or maybe
> grainy/snowy (not sure how to describe it). Changing the interlace from
> "detect" to "interlaced" makes no difference.
>
> Now, via S-Video, the current recordings look good, but at the sacrifice
> of everything else. (man, 720p menus look crystal clear)
>
> I'm not sure what else to try/check... Anyone have any ideas?
> -Rich

sounds like your not deinterlacing the video. talk to Bob, he's a
good, helpful "guy".

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 1/12/07, Rich West <Rich.West@wesmo.com> wrote:
>
>> Rich West wrote:

>>> Thank you! This works rather well. Changing modes (for testing
>>> purposes) was extremely easy.
>>>
>>> Now if I could just get the Recorded SD programs to look "normal" as
>>> opposed to being more grainy... The xorg.conf settings definitely help
>>> A LOT.
>>>
>> Hrmm.. I'm getting no-where. The xorg.conf options above work like a
>> champ, producing excellent MythVideo and menus, but when I bring up
>> current recordings they, well, look awful. Horizontal interlace lines
>> are visible during moderate motion, the colors seem a bit off (red is
>> blasted out), and the picture appears somewhat grainy.. or maybe
>> grainy/snowy (not sure how to describe it). Changing the interlace from
>> "detect" to "interlaced" makes no difference.
>>
>> Now, via S-Video, the current recordings look good, but at the sacrifice
>> of everything else. (man, 720p menus look crystal clear)
>>
>> I'm not sure what else to try/check... Anyone have any ideas?
>> -Rich
>>

> sounds like your not deinterlacing the video. talk to Bob, he's a
> good, helpful "guy".

Heh.. I turned that on, but wasn't too sure of what I was doing. Does
that only take effect when you enable XvMC?

Another thing I am in the middle of trying is swapping the video feed
from the STB to the PVR-150 card on the BE from coax-only to svideo+L/R
audio. I just tested that against livetv, and the picture quality
definitely improved on the FE machine. Next step is to see if that,
plus the xorg.conf settings for 720p, plus enabling de-interlacing +
Bob, make things better on the HD set when displaying SD.

(... after writing that paragraph, I feel like I am qualified to go back
and work for US government facility.. they *love* acronyms.. My wife
would read that and complain that it "all looks like Greek to me.")

-Rich
Re: MythTV + HD [ In reply to ]
On 1/13/07, Rich West <Rich.West@wesmo.com> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 1/12/07, Rich West <Rich.West@wesmo.com> wrote:
<snip>
> >> Hrmm.. I'm getting no-where. The xorg.conf options above work like a
> >> champ, producing excellent MythVideo and menus, but when I bring up
> >> current recordings they, well, look awful. Horizontal interlace lines
> >> are visible during moderate motion, the colors seem a bit off (red is
> >> blasted out), and the picture appears somewhat grainy.. or maybe
> >> grainy/snowy (not sure how to describe it). Changing the interlace from
> >> "detect" to "interlaced" makes no difference.
> >>
> >> Now, via S-Video, the current recordings look good, but at the sacrifice
> >> of everything else. (man, 720p menus look crystal clear)
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what else to try/check... Anyone have any ideas?
> >> -Rich
> >>

> > sounds like your not deinterlacing the video. talk to Bob, he's a
> > good, helpful "guy".
>
> Heh.. I turned that on, but wasn't too sure of what I was doing. Does
> that only take effect when you enable XvMC?

nope, deinterlacing is always enabled. XvMC can only use certain
deinterlace methods though, but Standard can use all the methods.

> Another thing I am in the middle of trying is swapping the video feed
> from the STB to the PVR-150 card on the BE from coax-only to svideo+L/R
> audio. I just tested that against livetv, and the picture quality
> definitely improved on the FE machine. Next step is to see if that,
> plus the xorg.conf settings for 720p, plus enabling de-interlacing +
> Bob, make things better on the HD set when displaying SD.

svideo will look *much* better than over coax for newer boxes. I
currently do this and the picture looks damn good on our 65" 1080p.
Digital channels look the best, but even the analog channels don't
look half bad. Not HD by far, but more than watchable.

> (... after writing that paragraph, I feel like I am qualified to go back
> and work for US government facility.. they *love* acronyms.. My wife
> would read that and complain that it "all looks like Greek to me.")

hehe