Mailing List Archive

Ubuntu
Well, thanks to yet another failed upgrade (this is becoming a bad habit,
I've lost over 1T of recordings 3 times now :-(), looks like I will
have to build my backend from scratch yet again.

I've always used KnoppMyth in the past, but I'm wondering if I shouold
use Ubuntu this time. Has anyone suceded in building a backend using
Ubuntu?

One reason I'm thinking this, is that I'm comited to using Ubuntu for
my workstations. Given this, I'd like to be able to use them as Myht
frontends.

That's actually what started this last spiral of death :-(

I installed the mythfrontend debs on one of the workstaions (Kubuntu
6.10). When it tried to connect to my backend (which was a KnoppMyth
machine from about a year agao) I got the dreaded :upgrading Schema
messages. Even doing an upgrade to the latest KnoppMyth (R5D1)
has not repaired all of the problems, so I don't see any alternative
to wiping the dikss, and starting over :-( Goodbye about ayears
worth of save shows :-(

(Dennis Ritchie)
Re: Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
stan wrote:
> Goodbye about ayears
> worth of save shows :-(

Don't give up too quickly on your recorded shows.

Before you wipe these check if you can play them with something
like xine or mplayer.

You could also try and export the recorded shows part of the backend
database and then import after install. Look in the Myth docs for
information about moving to a new machine.

Bob

Re: Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> I've always used KnoppMyth in the past, but I'm wondering if
> I shouold use Ubuntu this time. Has anyone suceded in
> building a backend using Ubuntu?

I have built my first ever Myth box on Ubuntu Edgy. It is running both FE
and BE.

> I installed the mythfrontend debs on one of the workstaions
> (Kubuntu 6.10). When it tried to connect to my backend (which
> was a KnoppMyth machine from about a year agao) I got the
> dreaded :upgrading Schema messages. Even doing an upgrade to
> the latest KnoppMyth (R5D1) has not repaired all of the
> problems, so I don't see any alternative to wiping the dikss,
> and starting over :-( Goodbye about ayears worth of save shows :-(

I downloaded R5D1 prior to building my box and when I boot a live CD using
that version I get protocol errors. So I don't believe it is running Myth
0.20.

Dave

Re: Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 07:45:26AM -0600, Bob Wiegand wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > Goodbye about ayears
> > worth of save shows :-(
>
> Don't give up too quickly on your recorded shows.
>
> Before you wipe these check if you can play them with something
> like xine or mplayer.

I can _sort of_ play them with Myth. On the backend, if I'm patient
enough it can be done. However, because Myth thinks that (for isntance) a 1
hour show is 29 hours long, lot's of stuff (bookmarks, moving around)
either des not work, or is so slow as to be unusbale.

> You could also try and export the recorded shows part of the backend
> database and then import after install. Look in the Myth docs for
> information about moving to a new machine.

I suspect that teh databse is teh root of all eviel here. My beleif is that
it was upgraded to a shema that is too new to be supported byt ewh version
the R5D1 installs.

This is not the first time this has happened, Trying t connect anewer
frontend to a older backend REALLY SHOULD NOT TRASH THE SYSTEM!

(Dennis Ritchie)

Re: Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 12/25/06, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> I installed the mythfrontend debs on one of the workstaions (Kubuntu
> 6.10). When it tried to connect to my backend (which was a KnoppMyth
> machine from about a year agao) I got the dreaded :upgrading Schema
> messages. Even doing an upgrade to the latest KnoppMyth (R5D1)
> has not repaired all of the problems, so I don't see any alternative
> to wiping the dikss, and starting over :-( Goodbye about ayears
> worth of save shows :-(

Some things to remember, and why this happened:

1. KnoppMyth is NOT on .20 yet
2. Ubuntu 6.10 is on myth .20
3. The frontends talk directly to the DB, and thus will run the same
schema upgrades that the backend will.
3a. Schema upgrades are not "dreaded", they are a sign that you have
installed a new version and things are working perfectly.
4. You CANNOT run mixed versions of myth, nor is there a supported
downgrade path
5. ALWAYS backup your myth DB before upgrades. I do so once a week,
sunday nights at 12pm. It'll only be a few KB gzipped.

I'm running a full Ubuntu 6.10 system with 1 dedicated backend and two
frontends.
Re: Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:26:59AM +1100, Bill Williamson wrote:
> On 12/25/06, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> > I installed the mythfrontend debs on one of the workstaions (Kubuntu
> > 6.10). When it tried to connect to my backend (which was a KnoppMyth
> > machine from about a year agao) I got the dreaded :upgrading Schema
> > messages. Even doing an upgrade to the latest KnoppMyth (R5D1)
> > has not repaired all of the problems, so I don't see any alternative
> > to wiping the dikss, and starting over :-( Goodbye about ayears
> > worth of save shows :-(
>

> Some things to remember, and why this happened:
>
> 1. KnoppMyth is NOT on .20 yet

OK, fair enough.

> 2. Ubuntu 6.10 is on myth .20

That is a good thing, right?

> 3. The frontends talk directly to the DB, and thus will run the same
> schema upgrades that the backend will.
> 3a. Schema upgrades are not "dreaded", they are a sign that you have
> installed a new version and things are working perfectly.

I _strognly_ disagree with this. IMHO the backend is the master of data,
Simply conecting a newer frontend should NEVER make (perhaps incompatible)
changes in the underlying database structure. This is a basic design issue.
The only alternative, is to garuntee that a datavase chage will NEVER
result in an icompatibilty with existing front ends (perhaps running on the
backend). This seems an impossible garuntee to me.

> 4. You CANNOT run mixed versions of myth, nor is there a supported
> downgrade path

Fair enough. In that case the newer front end should bail out without
making _ANY_ changes!

> 5. ALWAYS backup your myth DB before upgrades. I do so once a week,
> sunday nights at 12pm. It'll only be a few KB gzipped.

Well, this is good advice. However I am not aware of any other software,
where simply tyring to have the wrong version of a client conect to a
server, that will damage teh system.

> I'm running a full Ubuntu 6.10 system with 1 dedicated backend and two
> frontends.

Looks like I will be soon too. I'm transfering my ~ 0,5T of existing
recrdings to a different machine, and I'll rebuild the backend with Ubuntu
6.10.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

(Dennis Ritchie)
Re: Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> Some things to remember, and why this happened:
>
> 1. KnoppMyth is NOT on .20 yet
I guess you didn't see the R5E50 annoucement... So much for my xmas
present...
Re: ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> On 4 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> I have always built myth from source.
>> I cant find python builtins for suse which stops meta data lookups
>> So I thought I'd try ubuntu 20.04 and install pre-built mythtv.
>>
>> How is that done?
>>
>> I tried to use the mythbuntu ppa but it does not have a release file and apt ignores it.
>> allow-insecure used to work but seems to not any longer (The man says it will be depreciated)
>>
>> google says python builtins are in one of the python modulue, but they are not there.
>>
>> I guess my question boils down to "how does johnny install mythtv".
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20180515184733/http://www.mythbuntu.org/home/news/mythbuntusolongandthanksforallthefish
>
> I've built v31 on 20.04. There is an error in the ansible task for it though. Fix in progress.
>
> Or, try these:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt upgrade # Not sure if dist-upgrade is required.

Bill thanks for the info. My cranky answer to a 20.04 query is because I just spent 2 days trying to build for a mythtv 30 system. 30 because one of my front ends is a mac book and I have built 30 for mac, but not 31.
30 involved building python modules for eg urlgrabber. I have not even tried to solve perl's xml.dom.minidom.
So I'll try to build 31.
Cheers
James

Re: ubuntu [ In reply to ]
An hour later 31 is built
James

Re: ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> On 5 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> I have always built myth from source.
>>> I cant find python builtins for suse which stops meta data lookups
>>> So I thought I'd try ubuntu 20.04 and install pre-built mythtv.
>>>
>>> How is that done?
>>>
>>> I tried to use the mythbuntu ppa but it does not have a release file and apt ignores it.
>>> allow-insecure used to work but seems to not any longer (The man says it will be depreciated)
>>>
>>> google says python builtins are in one of the python modulue, but they are not there.
>>>
>>> I guess my question boils down to "how does johnny install mythtv".
>>
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20180515184733/http://www.mythbuntu.org/home/news/mythbuntusolongandthanksforallthefish
>>
>> I've built v31 on 20.04. There is an error in the ansible task for it though. Fix in progress.
>>
>> Or, try these:
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
>> sudo apt update
>> sudo apt upgrade # Not sure if dist-upgrade is required.
>
> Bill thanks for the info. My cranky answer to a 20.04 query is because I just spent 2 days trying to build for a mythtv 30 system. 30 because one of my front ends is a mac book and I have built 30 for mac, but not 31.
> 30 involved building python modules for eg urlgrabber. I have not even tried to solve perl's xml.dom.minidom.
> So I'll try to build 31.

The perl xml.dom.minidom error is solved by a non intuitive python-xml package

James
Re: ubuntu [ In reply to ]
> On 5 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>

>> So I thought I'd try ubuntu 20.04 and install pre-built mythtv.
>>
>> How is that done?
>>
>> I tried to use the mythbuntu ppa but it does not have a release file and apt ignores it.
>> allow-insecure used to work but seems to not any longer (The man says it will be depreciated)
>
> After installing Ubuntu 20.04, did you try the terminal commands below?
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
> sudo apt install mythtv

That is exactly where apt says “no you don’t …”
but
deb [trusted=yes] url …

does work

Re: ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On 06/05/2020 03:54, Blue wrote:

>> On 5 May 2020, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request@mythtv.org wrote:
>>

>>> So I thought I'd try ubuntu 20.04 and install pre-built mythtv.
>>>
>>> How is that done?
>>>
>>> I tried to use the mythbuntu ppa but it does not have a release file and apt ignores it.
>>> allow-insecure used to work but seems to not any longer (The man says it will be depreciated)
>>
>> After installing Ubuntu 20.04, did you try the terminal commands below?
>>
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
>> sudo apt install mythtv

Adding this PPA to your system

You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted
PPA by adding ppa:mythbuntu/31 to your system's Software Sources. (Read
about installing)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31
sudo apt-get update <<<<<<<<