The opinions expressed in any email originating from this account are the
sole opinions of the author. They do not reflect the opinions or policies
of any institution or individuals other than myself.
Re: MythMusic Plays too Fast [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 09 April 2003 02:17 pm, RJV wrote:
> First off, thanks for the help with Mythmusic. It plays audio now.
>
> However....
>
> Mythmusic currently plays the music at an increased rate (Like playing a
> 33rpm record at say 35 rpm). I've timed the playclock with my watch, and
> have noticed that the music gains about 1 second every 20 seconds. I.E.,
> at 0:00 songtime and realtime, the clocks are synced. At 20 seconds, the
> songtime is 0:21 but watchtime is 0:20.

Well that is an interesting one. Sure to grate on the nerves of those with
perfect pitch :-)

What kind of content (flac, ogg, mp3)?
Ripped where and by what (mythmusic, something else)?
On what system (soundcard, CPU/overclocked)?

- thor
Re: MythMusic Plays too Fast [ In reply to ]
I'm having the same problem. Don't have a fix yet, but I've narrowed it
down to the sound card driver. It's insisting at playing everyting at
48KHz instead of 44.1KHz. Makes for some really interesting music.
Almost sounds like everything is played up about minor third....

-Shawn

Re: MythMusic Plays too Fast [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, thor wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 02:17 pm, RJV wrote:
> > First off, thanks for the help with Mythmusic. It plays audio now.
> >
> > However....
> >
> > Mythmusic currently plays the music at an increased rate (Like playing a
> > 33rpm record at say 35 rpm). I've timed the playclock with my watch, and
> > have noticed that the music gains about 1 second every 20 seconds. I.E.,
> > at 0:00 songtime and realtime, the clocks are synced. At 20 seconds, the
> > songtime is 0:21 but watchtime is 0:20.
> >

> Well that is an interesting one. Sure to grate on the nerves of those with
> perfect pitch :-)
>
> What kind of content (flac, ogg, mp3)?
> Ripped where and by what (mythmusic, something else)?
> On what system (soundcard, CPU/overclocked)?

mp3 is the only thing I've tested.

Ripped by Grip, encoded using lame at 256k CBR

Mounted via NFS

Machine:
AMD Athlon 2000+ with 256 2100 RAM
Not overclocked.
ECS K7S5A MB using onboard sound
SiS7012 PCI Audio

Re: MythMusic Plays too Fast [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 09 April 2003 03:48 pm, RJV wrote:

> SiS7012 PCI Audio

The consensus seems to be that your sound "card" either only does 48000 or
has been set to 48000. The ratio of 44100/48000 is just too close to your 1
in 20 sec problem to be a coincidence.

Sorry, I don't know anything about SiS7012's, but I suspect you could track
down info on how to change its settings and/or work around its limitations.

-thor
Re: MythMusic Plays too Fast [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, thor wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 03:48 pm, RJV wrote:
>

> > SiS7012 PCI Audio
> >

> The consensus seems to be that your sound "card" either only does 48000 or
> has been set to 48000. The ratio of 44100/48000 is just too close to your 1
> in 20 sec problem to be a coincidence.
>
> Sorry, I don't know anything about SiS7012's, but I suspect you could track
> down info on how to change its settings and/or work around its limitations.
>
> -thor

It's a problem with mp3 and ogg, so it probably is a soundcard thing.

The weird thing is that xmms plays the songs totally fine.

What sort of backend does mythmusic use?

Re: MythMusic Plays too Fast [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 09 April 2003 05:44 pm, RJV wrote:

> It's a problem with mp3 and ogg, so it probably is a soundcard thing.
>
> The weird thing is that xmms plays the songs totally fine.
>
> What sort of backend does mythmusic use?

It's mostly copied from mq3.

If you know some C++, you may want to play around with hard coding some
values in audiooutput.cpp around lines 91-131. I didn't write/adapt this part
of mythmusic, but that's where the ioctl calls are that I assume control this
sort of thing.

Good Luck.

- thor