Mailing List Archive

g200 MJPEG decode problem in mplayer and mythTV(but not lavplay)
(This is a resend, since my join confirm hadn't gone
through yet.)

I have RTFM and googled for a couple of days now
trying to figure out this problem.

I have a Via EPIA ME-6000 mainboard (c3 600mhz),
256MB, with a g200-TV 8MB PCI card installed, gentoo
2.4.20, kde3.1.1, mgavideo 0.1.0. DMA is on.

I can capture using lavrec and play back the resulting
AVI file in lavplay with no problems. But when I try
to play back the same file in mplayer 0.9.0rc5, the
output is corrupt.

(Lavrec and MythTV hw MJPEG capture uses 20-30% of
cpu. Lavplay uses 100% of cpu but is smooth output.)

What I see in mplayer is: Every second or so the full
frame is redrawn, sometimes horizontally skewed, but
in the upper left of the screen, you can see the full
frame rate video (about 20 pix high by 100 pix wide)
is playing. Just to the right of this (same 20pix
high) it starts to look like garbage that is changing
very quickly. It looks like it's playing all the data
but it keeps getting corrupted.

CPU is only 40% or so while this is happening, so that
shouldn't be a problem. I've also tried various screen
depth and size settings.

The reason I want to figure this out for mplayer is
that I see the same output when I use hw mjpeg output
in mythtv 0.8. I'm hoping someone can point me in the
right direction.

Could this be a problem with Xvideo or ffmpeg? mga or
mgavideo? (I saw one post on ffmpeg-devel that sounded
similar, but of course no helpful responses).

If I do mplayer -no xv, I see the same problem, so
maybe it's not xv. I have also tried various
decimation/quality settings in lavrec, same problem on
playback in mplayer.

I am not trying to do TVOUT (yet; figure one problem
at a time is enough).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jamison

http://tax.yahoo.com
Re: g200 MJPEG decode problem in mplayer and mythTV(but not lavplay) [ In reply to ]
I figured out the problem.

I updated mgavideo to 01.1b(added bt484 to kernel) and
mplayer to the latest .9 release. I also went through
and cleaned out all extraneous modules.

Thanks.

Jamison

http://tax.yahoo.com
Re: g200 MJPEG decode problem in mplayer and mythTV(but not lavplay) [ In reply to ]
Jamison, do you mean to say that you have no problems with mplayer or
mythTV now? I was about to respond saying that I also have problems with
my G200. I'm not sure if they are the same, but I get blurring whenever
somebody walks across the screen, gets up from a chair, or in general
moves. I'm assuming this is occuring because of frame drops.

If you are getting good results I may have to try Gentoo again. I'm
currently using SuSE 8.1 and the stock kernel which came with it.
Lavrec/layplay work great, but I don't like having 30 minute shows take up
4GB of space. Besides, I like the features of mythTV.

Chris...
Re: Re: g200 MJPEG decode problem in mplayer and mythTV(but not lavplay) [ In reply to ]
Chris and Shannon wrote
> If you are getting good results I may have to try Gentoo again. I'm
> currently using SuSE 8.1 and the stock kernel which came with it.
> Lavrec/layplay work great, but I don't like having 30 minute shows take up
> 4GB of space. Besides, I like the features of mythTV.

I don't know why everyone is so concerned about different distros of
linux, because linux is linux. You might have different versions of
libraries than someone else, but you always have the power to go find
the ones you need and install them.

"stock kernel" is a red flag for me. I'd recommend looking into
compiling your own kernel with all the options that you will need
and leave out the things you do not.

but the real issue sounds like you might have to go find some
different versions of the libraries that myth depends on.

-Chris
Re: Re: g200 MJPEG decode problem in mplayer and mythTV(but not lavplay) [ In reply to ]
Thats true... pretty much Linux is Linux... but you hit the point when you
said different distributions can have different versions of libraries.
Its much easier to hear somebody say "It works using SuSE 8.1 or RedHat
9.0", rather than hear somebody say "It requires version 2.2 of the glibc
library, and version 3.23 of the mysql library, and version 4.0.2 of the
XFree86 libraries, and version 2.2 of kde, etc etc..."

Its easier to start with something you know that works, and then you can
figure out how it works. Or if I didn't feel like figuring out how it
worked, I could just keep using that distribution...

Chris...

Re: Re: g200 MJPEG decode problem in mplayer and mythTV(but not lavplay) [ In reply to ]
the point was that you always have the power to make it work
regardless of distribution (unless you have hardware compatibility
issues, of course).

Definitely go with whatever you're more familiar with. That's
the best part about linux: you have choices.

I just thought it AbsolutelyWrong(tm) to get into the mindset that
MythTV works "better" with one distribution of linux over another,
when the real issue is just making sure you have the right tools
and libraries installed.

I'd simply rather be aware of what REALLY makes MythTV work (or any
program I use), so I can solve any problems that come up, instead
of doing some voodoo magic prayer, hoping that a different linux
distribution will work for me (at least until either the libraries
change in that distro or MythTV's dependencies change, forcing you
start over again if you happen to not have a clue as to why your
system is "broken"). ;)

That said... I was a very strong "package-only" kind of guy
until very recently. I really liked having my system automatically
updated from packages in my distribution (Debian). However, I've
found that doing things ONLY with packages was impractical, because
some things I wanted were not available in Debian packages, or were
using older versions of what I needed.

I still like to use the packages available, whenever possible, because
it really makes things easier. The only thing that kept me sane with
certain issues I ran across, was that I realized that it's not ALWAYS
possible and that I had to power to make anything happen. :)

-Chris

Chris and Shannon wrote